S3 on 18" RS4'S, which profile tyres?

benh999

Reaction score
just had sprayed a genuine set of TT RS4 alloys to go on my s3. Now assuming that the rim being 1" bigger than th 17" Ronals, the car on standard suspension will sit higher. my question is do I go for 40mm or 35mm profile tyres. If it helps i will be fitting AP coilovers.

regards

Ben

The 35 or 40 in the tyre size isn't mm, it's the % of the tyre's width so the difference is actually more than twice what you'd imagine (but still only ~11mm). The decision should be based on how wide the wheel/tyre is you're fitting, or what tyre you're after. I got 225/35 R18s for my RSTTs simply because I wanted F1 Assyms and they were in stock.

I wouldn't say it's likely you'll see or feel any difference in the 1cm ride difference... there's more range between under/over inflated tyres.

Got them from www.camskill.com, if you're interested.

You want 225/40/18 for an S3 mate, to keep the rolling radius as close to standard as possible.

The width of the wheel Vs the tyre will also play a part - if you want the "stretched" look etc.

General rule of thumb is that the lower the profile the better the handing - but they'll be "louder" and less forgiving over bumps and pot-holes.

It's a bit of a balancing act.