overboosting?

jimboA3

Reaction score
Hiya guys !
After going to the RR day in Manchester at the weekend my car had a boost gauge hooked up for the first time and on each run it was sustaining 1.35 bar and peaking at 1.5 , similar figures to some s3's that were there. Is this too high because i know that i'll be running a smaller turbo than an S3 - Dont want to run the risk of damaging anything so was wondering if it was worth fitting a boost controller so it can be turned down for day to day use.

Cheers

Jimbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Dude, I thought that the ECU had built in overboost protection? If you boost over a certain amount, it kicks you into Soft Limp mode to avoid damage. Therefore, if you're not hitting limp mode, you SHOULD be within safety limits, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyone?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Jim, if your not hitting limp mode I wouldn't worry to be honest mate. The only reason I can see for you to get an MBC is so that it sustains the boost for longer periods.

Like the set up I had, it was shown on the rollers that I was holding higher boost levels for longer than the other cars. The other bonus is that you can put a cap on the boost limit. Mine was capped at just over 1.4bar, which I am happy with for day to day running.

Could stick it up a little, but I will just get boost spikes (with my current N75 valve) leading to overboost and limp mode.