S3 retrofit Cruise Control confusion

subby

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive been searching for a few weeks now, and looked at as many guides as i could find, but im still a bit confused about the fitment of the kit.

I understand the new CC harness wires into the connecting block in the engine bay, and the other one goes from there to the ecu, but what do you need to mess about with the fusebox in the footwell for ?

Also the VW teeside guide doesnt mention where to put the wires into the ecu for the BAM engine code, is it the same as one of the other codes?

Any clarity would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Never fitted one before and I can't access the guide (I'm using my work PC at the mo) - so what does the guide suggest you do with the fusebox?

I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring was slightly different for different engine codes though.

Ive realised that the fuse part is basically so the system is fused.

Only bit im a bit stuck with is which pins on the actual ecu connector to wire into.

How is it described in the guide you have?

Have a cup of tea and read the guide slowly - you'll be surprised how often when you've calmed down, it all seems to fall in place and make sense.

I do it all the time!!

This is the one ill be working from i think

http://vwgolfr32.co.uk/ccs.pdf

The main problem im going to have i think is when it comes to the 121/80 pole connector for the ECU. (loom that goes between engine bay box and ecu)

My engine code (BAM) isnt there so im not sure where to put the wires.

Last edited:
i think the ecus are diffent on quattro to fwd so this might be were your going wrong but ill ask at work tomorn and see if weve got an old retro fit gide somewere im sure we have and ill scan it in as im sure this thread will come up agen

i think the ecus are diffent on quattro to fwd so this might be were your going wrong but ill ask at work tomorn and see if weve got an old retro fit gide somewere im sure we have and ill scan it in as im sure this thread will come up agen

that would be helpful if you could !

i couldnt find one anywere but iv asket a mate who runs an audi dealership and he seams to think hell be able to get one hopfully, but sorry no help yet if some one can find a wireing deigram for me im sure ill be able to work it out

ok mate no probs, any help would be great.

Im hoping that the colours correspond with the ecu's, so it might be obvious.

Ive got the kit now and want to get it fitted!

if you get stuck befor i get hold of the fitting gide post picks up of the wiring and ill try and work it out im sure its not hard on a s3 as ive done a few befor on other vags and never realy had to much truble a6 being the werst because of all the option extras it had on it anyways e.p.c dose have its advintages some times when it come to fitting this other whys on a throttel cable moddles you have to use vacume pipes and thats alot harder lol

Now I'm at home I've dl'd a copy - bit late to start looking at wiring diagrams now!! but hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow at work to have a look through.

think ive got my head round it now.

Ive realised that the engine codes are for the golf, and one of the wiring colours for the 121 pole connection has the golfs 1.8T enginen(AUQ i think), so that is the right colours, so im all set to go now, just need the weather down here in Devon to clear up!

Just to add more info to the topic for anyone else, this is the wiring for the 1.8T engines:

CCLoom.jpg

Last edited:
Looks reasonable - hope you're right.

Let us know how you get on.

Its working :D

Hardest things i found were:

Wipers needed alot of persuasion to come off.
Mine has security bolts ont he ecu, so out came the drill, which was weird as i thought they were only on 2002+ cars, but must have crossed over as mine is december 01.

The rest was fairly easy, and quite rewarding when it all worked !

only thing is there isnt a light that comes on when its enabled? Didnt know if there was meant to be or not.

Last edited:
i sure with audi and other german makes the car is already for cruise control, my mate took his golf and all they done was fitt the new stalk and reprograme the ecu..

Not sure how much its costs at vw but if you know someone who can get the codes you could do it alot easier!!

am thinking off doin the same to mine, might even go to audi if its cheap enough :)

nah you have to fit the new stalk and run the wiring to the engine bay.

Some cars like TDI's have the extra loom to the ecu so you dont have to do that but, but on S3's, others 1.8Ts and petrols, you have to run that loom aswel. You can extend the cc one to the ecu, but i wanted my all oem as possible so did both.

I paid £80 for the parts and fitted myself so thats fairly cheap altogether.

sorry to bump this,

just wondering if anyone else who has fitted cruise control to an s3, has the light in the dash when they turn it on?