7 months is that a bit too soon ?

Effect

Reaction score
Got some toyo Proxes fitted mid December and the fronts are almost to the limit already and the rears not too far behind.

I drive 40 miles a day round trip which won't help
Am I driving my car a bit too hard ? lol

James

I have these fitted too, just had them fitted after the guy selling them said they were a fairly 'hard wearing' tyre. Ive since found out he was talking rubbish as theyre pretty soft. Suppose a lot of it has to do with driving style though! :racer:
Eagle F1s for me next time, will be worth the extra cash as theyre a better tyre anyway.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, 225/40 R18 Y

That's the tyres I've got on all 4 wheels. Driving through water no longer makes you wish you'd slowed down more.

Torrential downpours on the A34 a week ago and traffic moving at 40-50mph. my tyres allowed me to zip straight past at 60-70mph. Never missed a beat and never at all felt like the car was going to lose grip.

Grips is fantastic in both wet and dry. Tyres wear pretty well and generally I have to say the best tyre ever for an S3. Highly recommended.

Blackcircles.com - shameless plug. Almost 50% cheaper than my local garages were offering me. Price is all inclusive including fitting and balancing. I paid £235.00 per pair and I thought that was a bargain. Couldn't find them cheaper anywhere else and I got them fitted the next day.

:redrs4:
:kissmyrings:

They do use quite a soft compound. Much better on lighter cars I think.

p.s I tried the Eagle F1 assymetrics out on the back roads to Alford the other day. Unbelieveable grip.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, 225/40 R18 Y

That's the tyres I've got on all 4 wheels. Driving through water no longer makes you wish you'd slowed down more.

Torrential downpours on the A34 a week ago and traffic moving at 40-50mph. my tyres allowed me to zip straight past at 60-70mph. Never missed a beat and never at all felt like the car was going to lose grip.

Grips is fantastic in both wet and dry. Tyres wear pretty well and generally I have to say the best tyre ever for an S3. Highly recommended.

Blackcircles.com - shameless plug. Almost 50% cheaper than my local garages were offering me. Price is all inclusive including fitting and balancing. I paid £235.00 per pair and I thought that was a bargain. Couldn't find them cheaper anywhere else and I got them fitted the next day.

:redrs4:
:kissmyrings:

I'm with you on that one. I used to have GSD3's on my Leon and they were great. Think I paid around £104 a corner inc fitting for them back in the day though

I bought some Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 weeks ago. Havent had a proper blast on them yet but very impressed with the grip and surprising quiet to. Paid £190 for 2 fitted, balanced and new valves.

what have you guys found the wear rate of GSD3's and the Asymetrics ?

I have had GSD3s on an older car but wrote it off before they even got past half grip so couldnt comment.

For what it's worth the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 225 45 17 came out at £165 for the pair inc VAT & fitting have lasted 14k so far. I have run all makes of tyres and pound for mile these have been the best by far plus off tremendous grip and look sweet:

20323.jpg

what have you guys found the wear rate of GSD3's and the Asymetrics ?

I have had GSD3s on an older car but wrote it off before they even got past half grip so couldnt comment.

GSD3's are lasting me quite well. I've had my front pair on for around 6k now at 70mi per day. Wear's lasting well and nowhere near half grip yet. I don't use the car hard. Mostly motorway traffic with the occasional back road blast but I can't be bothered with that mostly.

Rear's have been on for around 2k and therefore obviously I can't say much.

It's quite a hard balance with tyre wear on an S3 with so many factors involved. Obviously, the S3 is an underteer set up chassis in the first place, so pushing it a bit was always going to wear the fronts out quicker. Those with uprated suspensions will always push a bit harder anyways, so the front wear out quicker also.

I've not used toyo Proxes on on my S3, so can't really comment, but had them on a Mk4 golf Cab I had previously, and the fronts wore out pretty quickly. I had Yoko's in 19" previously which lasted around 10k miles, forst 500 miles we're crap, then awesome grip for 6k miles and they kinda faded away for the last 3-4k miles. Continentals we're my next set of boots, these lasted for over 15k miles with even wear front and rear, but a front puncture killed one of them, and the replacement for one was silly money so I got 4 new Avon ZZ3s instead. Done around 4k miles so far, and they are a very good tyre, but quite noisy compared to the Conti's.

mytyres.net - I just ordered 2 x 225/45/17 eagle F1s GSD3's... £142.42 DELIVERED! Absolute bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how did you manage that, i just looked on my tyres and they are £176.32 for a pair !

I had 2 x 224/45/17 Eagle F1 GSD3s fully fitted, valved and balanced for £170 all in at a local place to me.

I am very pleased with them and the grip that they give is excellent

jesters3 I got a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 225 45 17 on the back, their pretty good. They were voted second best performance tyre by EVO magazine, Asymmetric came 1st.

I go with Avon ZZ3`s, in fact I run them on thew S3 my wifes Golf TDI and my dad now runs them on his STI. They look good and chunky on the rim and last well