Chris NottVolks Autos
    S3X

Status

These Brake discs any good??

Looking to buy a set of discs to use with Ferodo DS2500 pads, would these be any good or can any one else recomend any other discs??

Dont want to spend more than 150 on front discs so these are taking my fancy...are they **** or what?? lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-S3-1-8...3A1%7C294%3A50
    Last edited by LiveWire; 13th July 2009 at 18:06.
    52 plate S3 / Ming Blue / 60K / Celtic Tuning Re-Map, Allegedly 278 Bhp-256 lb/ft (not proven/no chance)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    TBH, I wouldn't skimp on front discs especially if you are using DS2500's. Black Diamond grooved seem to be the favourite and the ones I am gonna get unless I go Brembo of course...

Cheap discs (grooved or otherwise) will wear out more quickly or more likely warp more easily.

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Smell my finger.

Status
    brakes, you get what you pay for.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

5th Gear

Status
    youll need at least around 250+ really, front black diomand discs, which im getting, then the ferodo pads. think yaself lukcy ive gotta add another 260 if i wants to go for 312mm discs!!
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

S3X

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    brakes, you get what you pay for.

I guess they are **** then!!

Any links to a decent set for around 200 would be helpfull, Im having a nightmare finding a set, I might just stay with stock discs

Thanks guys...
    52 plate S3 / Ming Blue / 60K / Celtic Tuning Re-Map, Allegedly 278 Bhp-256 lb/ft (not proven/no chance)

S3X

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emery1990 View Post
    youll need at least around 250+ really, front black diomand discs, which im getting, then the ferodo pads. think yaself lukcy ive gotta add another 260 if i wants to go for 312mm discs!!

I got the pads just need the discs now, ATE power discs any good?? 160 for a set from Euro Car Parts, I like the patern on them also..
    Last edited by LiveWire; 13th July 2009 at 21:35.

5th Gear

Status
    http://www.performancecentre.co.uk/p...S301&PTC=BRB01

third one down, ive been advised and will get them when got enough for carriers!

S3X

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emery1990 View Post

third one down, ive been advised and will get them when got enough for carriers!
    Link bad, good prices on that site, What discs will I need from this page??
    2 sets saying for a 8l S3 also do they stay black or wear silver once used??

Thanks for the help offered so far
    Last edited by LiveWire; 13th July 2009 at 21:44.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Give Bill at Badger 5 a call, he does discs and DS2500's.

FYI, you don't need anything special for the rears if you are planning on changing them too. You can get away with GSF specials but use Pagid pads. My local GSF had both and it cost me 15 for the pads and 34.50 for the discs (+ vat), DS2500's from Bill are around 118+vat IIRC plus he uses EBC Ultimax discs which should set you back around 180 ish (call him for a proper price)

The back brakes do very little and over braking them with fancy pads and discs will not give you any advantage and may even cause the car to swap ends. All the braking effort is in the front on the S3.

You may also want to consider changing the brake fluid to Motul RBF 600 which is a DOT4 synthetic brake fluid that has similar properties to DOT 5.1 but gives a better pedal.

Other than going Brembo, its probably the best setup from OEM you can get...

Expensive initial outlay but decent brakes will make the difference between making a corner or hedging it....
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Smell my finger.

Status
    They will wear silver

To be honest stock discs with a set of decent pads will be fine unless you want a bit more 'bling factor'.

I went for some 'Zimmerman' cross drilled ones on my A3 from GSF, cant say anything bad about them to be honest. Cheap enough and seem to work very well indeed. You get a bit more braking noise due to the holes but its nothing that bothers me (only very slight).

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

5th Gear

Status
    youll be best off getting the third one down on the list. the grooved 312mm ones. with vat and delivary its 189 though! i hate hidden charges!

ZoomZoom

Status
    These are mine, EBC Turbo Grooved Discs think you can pick them up around that price... not 2 sure they were on the car when i got it

My Much Missed :Imola Yellow S3 - Revo stage 2, SPS3, RS6 reps, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Cupra R splitter, Brembo's, 323mm EBC Turbo Grooved Discs, Ferrodo DS2500 Pads, Forge DV, Forge FMIC, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel, Sachs Clutch, Green Cotton Dynatwist induction kit, 3" Downpipe, sports cat, Milltek cat back, Bilstein B8's, KW rear adjustable tie bars Whiteline Adjustable ARB's, Eibach Springs, Powerflex Bushes, Bose Concert System

Now : Cupra R 225

4th Gear

Status
    the black diamond grooved front discs and ferrodo DS2500 is an awesome setup from standard, this is what i have and would pay my money again for them
    2002 225 S3, metallic black, REVO, 18" RSTT alloys, goodyear Eagle F1s, silver leather heated seats, tinted windows, H&R spacers, black diamond grooved discs & Ferrodo DS2500 pads, BOSE system, xenons, forge DV, samco TIP & upper boost hoses.

Third Gear

Status
    Try this link: http://www.performancecentre.co.uk/p...S301&PTC=BRB01
    If that does not work, then search by car on the left hand side, then click your way through to brakes.
    They are not cheap, but they are well recommended, and when I upgrade, is more than likely what I shall be getting [just had pads and disk fitted during my MOT, so may wait for them to go before I upgrade]

Tyres and brakes, two things you NEVER want to get the cheapest product when shopping!!!!
    BLACK 2002 S3, no mods ..... yet, Ally Wings, Aero Wipers