Split pipe??

nath-w

Reaction score
i noticed today that i have a split pipe. its the pipe that runs directly underneath the inlet manifold, and its split right where it connects to a t-piece. Just wondering if anyone knows what this pipe does?? Sorry for the description but its the best i could describe where it is.

i think you talking about a vacume pipe its kind of a hard plastic with rubber joints
i had to buy one for my qts few weeks back not much from tps or audi them selfs but i think its om part only
but as adidas said pics would help to make sure were all talking about the right bit
hope that helps :o.k:

Without seeing any pics my guess is that it is the PCV crankcase ventilation pipes aka 'Breather' pipes. This system allows the management of crankcase pressure.

They are the black rubber pipes and they tend to crack and disintegrate from the engine heat. They also tend to cake up with oil and get blocked in certain parts like valves or bends. I had this problem so replaced all the pipes and valves.

th_pipedone.jpg

Here is a pic of the pipe that is split, as i said it is directly underneath the inlet manifold, are these pipes difficult to change as they look quite hard to get to?

Let me get my magnifying glass out, you got a better pic as it wont enlarge!

pipedone1.jpg

heres a bigger picture. not very good on the computer. lol

Does the pipe then run down next to the oil filter?

no it carries on running to the right then bends back on itself and connects back into the underside of the inlet manifold. theres no oil or fluid leaking out of it, so im guessing it just flows with air, but not sure if its a vacuum pipe or whether its just a breather pipe going from what naquiss has said???

Try and trace it back. Could be the brake servo vacuum line. needs replacing regardless

wheres the best place to go to, to get this pipe, as i am thinking its going to be quite hard explaining what pipe i need over the phone??

Thats part of the pcv, crankcase system, easy to replace, its a vacuum line, there will be fluid at some point (oil) so just watch it ad make sure nothing gets in it.