Can larger wheels do damage to my steering rack?

kip

Reaction score
Hello again all,
I need some views on this one.

Whilst rocking my steering to the left their is a noticable knocking sound.
I Have been told by two different mechanics that it is the rack. One has showed me where the front nearside inner of the wheel has been rubbing on the back side of the plastic arch and their does seem alot of movement on that track arm. I only had a rack put on last year. It is still got warrenty but I have a feeling that the bloke who done it and who does all my work is gunner try and put the blame on the 18" rims and lowering kit that he fitted for me less than 1000k ago!

Would he have a case?

Regards kip

Unlikely mate, wear & tear I'd say given age of car, a tyre hitting a plastic trim isnt gonna effect the rack given the plastic isnt solid its flexible so unless it is constantly whacking against a solid mass 100 times a day stopping the rack from fully locking so you're putting pressure on it from steering wheel, I cant see how the rack could be damaged this way, I really cant.

Have you checked the bushes on the arms, rods etc, these could have become worn because I had same rack on my S3 for must have been 8-9 years so they're fairly resilient & that was an S3.

Its a 1.8t, and the rubbing could be caused when its on full lock there is alot more scuffing marks in the nearside than the offside arch. The rack came from europarts even through I an sceptical about these parts the garage assured me that they are fine, but I guess that they are reconditioned parts anyway! I'm thinking garage is gunner say the rack was fine before the mods so it was at your own risk to do so. Is it common for larger wheels to rub? I dont much about wheel offset etc I guess spacers would help.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it, some Audis come with larger wheels than this as standard now. Its possible it was a bad one. Ask your mechanic and go from there

when i rocked my steering i got a knock, replaced both bushes on each arm, sorted the problem :)

mate exact same thing on my car and she is on 18's. Was the top strut mount bearning.

£13 each and 30mins each to fit. car going perfect.

Was it just the knocking you had, was the tyres rubbing too?
The bloke who fitted the lowering kit said he did change the bearings in the top mounts aswell!, But i left it up to him to advise me on new mounts if needed. Is their other ways to tell that these mounts (bearings) have failed

Thanks

Last edited:
Chaps,
What offset size are you using on 18" wheels
My old 16" alloys had a offset of et42.
If mine turn out to be et45 would this mean that they would sit closer into the wheel arch a further 3mm and cause the rubbing marks that have been found?.
The paper work that came with the wheels said et35 but I did not check the stamped et on the wheels prior to fitting. I need to get my facts straight before I take the car in for the knocking on the steering. Otherwise I reckon if they are wrong size the garage will try and fob me off with that excuse of the wheels that have caused the problem.

Thanks kip.

Mate listen, there is no way if you dont notice the rubbing all the time when driving that this has screwed the rack, they're little more robust than that I can assure you, my S4 used to rub on bumps all the time & I was aware of it via sound & feel, but no issues with my rack & associated area parts.

Thanks NHN for easing my mind a little, it's seems a co instance that this steering knock has come around since the mods. I post the result when sorted.

did you sort this and was it the rack ?

i have a similar problem which i believe could be the rack only a few months after lowering the car etc .

maybe too much strain on an already worn out rack .

i do have alot of play in the rack when the car isnt running .

when it is running there isnt any play but i have the knocking sound when turning the steering

top mounts have been changed bottom bushes have been changed also

starting to annoy me now to the point of selling the car

had a vw bora before this and never had this much trouble in 2 years of owning it

I have been to see the chap who looks after my motor. He agrees that their is alot of movement and knocking in the right hand track arm comming from the rack end. He is going to replace the arm for me and we will see how it goes from there on.