JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: AH Fab / Ebay / Forge S3/A3 FMIC installs (image heavy)

1st Gear

Status
    hi guys i am going to be getting a fmic for the apy s3 very soon, i am planning on going with a hybrid turbo eventually and was just wondering what will be the best cooler to get whilst keeping fogs and oem grills? i was considering ah fabs v2 but was unsure if keeping the fogs was an option with this cooler?

options??? thanks guys

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    If you read back on this thread all the info you need is there mate and yes the fabs v2 is more then enough and you can save the fogs

1st Gear

Status
    How does this intercooler look size wise

IC5006

Bar and Plate Intercooler Corn size: 550mm x 225mm x 64mm
    Overall Length 710mm
    57mm(2.25'')or 64mm(2.5") Inlet and Outlet
    Maximum Pressure: 45psi
    Max Horsepower Capacity : 450hp
    A3 1.8TQS Minge blue
    Mods: AP coilovers, Strut Brace, Merc wheels, S3 brakes, hopefully going BT soon

6th Gear

Status
    I'll get a pic up tomorrow of how it fits.I fitted mine today and its the made a bug difference.it has more torque and just pulls hard.

4th Gear

Status
    i am right in thinking everyone buys the forge boost sensor pipe and how do people get round the DV take off from the charge pipe and the small vac take off? can anyone shed any light on this please?

6th Gear

Status
    I think prawn made a list of everything needed.check his thread.I just got a 90 degree 63mm alloy pipe of eBay.drilled two holes,4mm for the n75 and 19mm for the dv.ill get pics for you tomorrow

6th Gear

Status
    Fitted thus about a month ago,forgot to post pics.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Hi guys, quick question.. Found the wellycooler.. Now I see one on the bay for £30 and toyosports for £86? They are both the same size but will they both flow the same or differently? Anyone used a universal one from bay or got the toyosport one?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Some pictures of my AH Fabs V2 FMIC, all went well, thanks for all support in this thread !

Pedrosousa likes this.

Down under

Status
    Nice one. How was it getting the bumper back on? Tight as a nuns chuff isn't it?

Did you use the small section of OE hose from the passenger side (from 90 degree alloy to map hose)?
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Nice one. How was it getting the bumper back on? Tight as a nuns chuff isn't it?

Did you use the small section of OE hose from the passenger side (from 90 degree alloy to map hose)?
    It was tight indeed ! I had to made some insertions in the bottom front of the bumper and I removed the black cover, then it was easy

And yes, I re-used an OE hose at right top if you are in front of the car ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    Gents. im planning on staying with my k03 on my AGU.
    I do not want to introduce lag in to mix. Considering this, would 2.5" on the hot side pipework be too large? Paradox yours looks huge!
    I will be using a core half the size if the welly, but still using 2.5" inlet/outlets with 2.5" to match the TB.

nanananananananan BATMAN

Status

My Social Networking

Add MIGGZ on Facebook

AH Fab / Ebay / Forge S3 FMIC (image heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by paultownsend View Post
    Gents. im planning on staying with my k03 on my AGU.
    I do not want to introduce lag in to mix. Considering this, would 2.5" on the hot side pipework be too large? Paradox yours looks huge!
    I will be using a core half the size if the welly, but still using 2.5" inlet/outlets with 2.5" to match the TB.
    I always use 50mm from turbo to inlet of fmic then 63mm from outlet of fmic to tb.

My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

Mine is healthy

yours is on steriods!!!

Neutral

Status
    im sorry if there is already a post for it but iv read all as much as can take trying to find it but can someone put an ebay link to the "welly" cooler please or is the AH cooler the "welly" cooler im so confused wright now lol cheers

Reverse Gear

Status
    so is the ah fab v2 cooler the one known as the welly cooler? As I was told to get the wellycooler from my tuner. If this is the case brilliant if not I think I like the look of the AH fab V2.

Thanks

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I run a wellycooler . I've run over 30psi thought with without any problems on my 530+ bhp engine and i plan to up the boost after a few mods
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

...It's Never Finished...

Status
    No the Wellycooler is different mate..... Basically the Wellycooler is cheap as chips and the AH Fabs isnt..... Both as good as each other.... Keep fogs with Ah fabs.... Lose fogs with Wellycooler although people have managed to keep them....

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    After now figuring I need to look at a fmic due to massive inlet temps yesterday on a local RR day. I am thinking something along the lines of this. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=20720800726

Looks a good size for a k04, just a bit smaller than a Wellycooler which is what I am after. Looking at it I just need a couple of 90 degree pipes, some silicon piping.
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vex182 View Post
    After now figuring I need to look at a fmic due to massive inlet temps yesterday on a local RR day. I am thinking something along the lines of this. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=20720800726

Looks a good size for a k04, just a bit smaller than a Wellycooler which is what I am after. Looking at it I just need a couple of 90 degree pipes, some silicon piping.
    I assume you're after a smaller core to try and keep your fogs? The welly cooler has been tried and tested plus it can be made to fit without loosing fogs. Why don't you get one as you know it'll do the job easily, that other core might still be a massive PITA to fit.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I assume you're after a smaller core to try and keep your fogs? The welly cooler has been tried and tested plus it can be made to fit without loosing fogs. Why don't you get one as you know it'll do the job easily, that other core might still be a massive PITA to fit.
    I do want to keep fogs but also I just think it looks to big!

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vex182 View Post
    I do want to keep fogs but also I just think it looks to big!
    You can only see a little bit of it once it's behind the bumper! Anyway it does a bloody good job for the price. I'm only recommending it so much because I tried running a smaller FMIC alongside one of the stock SMIC and it still wasn't up to the job. I don't want you to go through the same grief I did.
    jitvv likes this.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    You can only see a little bit of it once it's behind the bumper! Anyway it does a bloody good job for the price. I'm only recommending it so much because I tried running a smaller FMIC alongside one of the stock SMIC and it still wasn't up to the job. I don't want you to go through the same grief I did.
    I know, cheers. I just want it hidden as much as possible so by looking though at what others have done and coolers that have been to small, this seems to be the best all rounder of size inc. fitments on the sides. I would remove both smic's too.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    There is always the B5 'Gringo' cooler...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=315384535246305

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status
    are all the required parts for the wellycooler in here because I cant find them and I want to order my FMIC :/

1st Gear

Status
    @Paradox. Did you manage to fit the golf bumper back on ok? Any pics?

6th Gear

Status
    not very well paul lol

The golf bumper curves from the bottom. I'll try and get some photo's when my cars back from the body shop. you do need to cut the sh1t out of the bumper though. its mostly the pipes that stop the bumper going back on. I've got a r32 bumper that i will throw on if I cant get the standard one sitting right

LORD

Status

My Social Networking

Add limbo118118 on Facebook
    anyone got a shopping list for the 'wellycooler' piping an hoses an clamps needed?? or is it the same as on page 1???

2nd Gear

Status
    First off, thanks to everyone that put this thread together - took me two hours but I can honestly say I've read every bit of information within the thread - without some of the key players on this forum the S3 tuning scene wouldn't be what it is today, makes the experience of owning an S3 much better with experts / advice to hand - really do appreciate it and couldn't thank you all enough.

Once funds allow, it's gotta be the AH Fabs IC - I noticed there's a deal on at the moment in the classifieds for the V1 version @ £250.. Stage 1 standard K04 at the moment so that should be fine, but should this turbo ever die I'd be looking towards beach buggy hybrid (been following you're work on Facebook if you're reading ) so think I'm gunna bite the bullet and go V2 now...

AH Fabs, if you're reading this... Will you be doing the same lower price deal for forum members on the V2? Wallet is going to be £1000 lighter tomorrow once I pick the car up from the garage so it won't be this months pay haha.. Just wondered if there was anything in the pipe line?

2nd Gear

Status
    I do have one question for everyone that springs to mind, I'm sure it's not on the thread - but isn't strictly related.

FMICs are fitted to lower IAT's which I'm guessing is Intake Air Temp? (I did search for IAT in Google and ASN and honestly couldn't find an answer haha) IIRC temps is block 004 on VDCS.
    What would you guys class as an acceptable/good value? I've noticed some people have experienced temps below 3degC in winter, another was 11deg outside, IAT going from 18 - 30 degC - this is with an FMIC fitted.

Wouldn't mind doing a few logs when I get my car back, just to do a sort of before and after study to show improvements.

Neutral

Status
    OH MY GOD!! Finally got round to fitting the intercooler, I went for the recommended AH FAB one. My rating of it is good, nice size, light weight, and bolts exactly where it should. Obviously I had to make a few adjustments, cutting the crash bar and moving the horns to the passenger side SMIC bracket. I bought all the pipes and tubes as instructed on the 1st page. Everything was of exceptional quality.

Everything fits perfectly however the front bumper was an absolute pig to get back on, the T clamps were the wrong way round resulting in the bottom of the bumper not fitting.

The fog lights were an absolute pig to retain, I manage to keep the drivers side but I have lost the passenger side, after several hours of arguing with the bumper it finally clicked into place!!

I can safely say that it was quite satisfying to complete this on my own as I normally take my car to the garage.

Pics below:

With Bumper finally fitted:

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Sorry dude but you have done something wrong somewhere... the V1 and V2 are designed to retain foglamps (I know I designed them to do this) and fitted mine to retain them... I suspect the hoses need trimming is ll... there was a little trimming to do on the bracket but thats about it...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Sorry dude but you have done something wrong somewhere... the V1 and V2 are designed to retain foglamps (I know I designed them to do this) and fitted mine to retain them... I suspect the hoses need trimming is ll... there was a little trimming to do on the bracket but thats about it...

<tuffty/>
    I've no doubt I did something wrong somewhere, to be honest, i'm going to replace some of the hoses to hide them better. I don't use the fog lights anyway so i'll do it over the next few weeks. I was also just wanting to get my bumper back on and have a beer!!
    Last edited by ollie2013uk; 9th June 2013 at 08:32.

1st Gear

Status
    chaps, just compiling my shopping list.

Do we think a medium sized cooler with 2.252 coldside/2" hotside will be enough for a k03 pushing a mere 16psi peak?

I may move to a k03s sometime in the future, but its not confirmed.
    Last edited by paultownsend; 10th June 2013 at 14:58.

2nd Gear

Status
    AUDI S3 - FRONT MOUNTED TURBO INTERCOOLER FULL KIT 20v Turbo 1.8 | eBay

has anyone brought this before? only just spotted it on eBay... looks like an alternative to the AH Fabs!

Down under

Status
    The v1 yeah, smaller than a v2 though.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just to clarify the thread and put like install kit. The kit will this?
    2 x
    Black Silicone Hose Elbow 90 Degree 63mm | eBay

2x
    63mm Diameter Alloy Bend Elbow 90° Degree Aluminium | eBay

And Steel clips what size?
    Did i miss something? I saw the conection between the FMIC and the aluminium conection elbow its a piece of silicone. What is that?
    Thanks

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chemicalboy View Post
    Just to clarify the thread and put like install kit. The kit will this?
    2 x
    Black Silicone Hose Elbow 90 Degree 63mm | eBay

2x
    63mm Diameter Alloy Bend Elbow 90° Degree Aluminium | eBay

And Steel clips what size?
    Did i miss something? I saw the conection between the FMIC and the aluminium conection elbow its a piece of silicone. What is that?
    Thanks
    In context of which FMIC? there are several types dotted about this thread...

Clip size range is typically silicon hose ID + 6mm so on 63mm hoses thats 69mm... JCS do a 70 and an 80... normally use 80's on 63mm hoses...

<tuffty/>

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry tuffy, i said about the AH v2.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chemicalboy View Post
    Sorry tuffy, i said about the AH v2.
    In which case yeah... that list is ok... use JCS Hi-Grip stainless steel clips...

<tuffty/>

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Grale1 on Facebook
    Hi guys, I'm looking at getting fmic in the next couple of weeks, where is the best place to buy 2.5" piping from? I have an A3 agu.

thanks simon
    A3 1.8t AGU, fk ak street coilovers, silicone tip, silicone turbo outlet pipe, forge 007p ( yellow spring ), 80mm jetex cone filter, 3" cold air feed, 3" downpipe and de cat, R-tech stage1 map 187bhp- 227ft