JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Jay
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    323

    looking for 250 bhp + need advice on turbo upgrade

    I've been doing a bit of research on turbo upgrades and other mods. I'd like to see around the 250 bhp + mark and similar torque. Currently the A3 (1.8T, ko3s) has a custom code stage 1 remap, 007p and a n75J valve. Its supposed to be 220bhp and 230 lbs but doesn't feel like it.

    Anyway came across this

    http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/pro...cat=413&page=1

    Is it worth upgrading? or maybe going down the ko3s hybrid route.

    My budget is around 2K. I realise I need the exhaust and FMIC. Would like to stay away from changing the internals due to lack of funds.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    markymark1984's Avatar
    Petrol Head

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Letchworth, Herts
    Posts
    52
    how much extra would it cost to sell you car and buy a mapped S3? Just another option for consideration
    2001 S3 Facelift | BOSE Symphony | Cruise Control | Full leather Recaro's | Xenons | Forge chrome DV | BMC CDA cool air induction | Miltek cat back exhaust | Vagtech Stage 2 remap | EBC Ulitmax discs | Goodrich hoses | Koni adjustables | Eibach Pro Line lowering springs | Blue Haldex Quattro ECU | 18" RS4 alloys | Toyo T1-S tyres | R32 anit rolls bars | H&R rear wheel spacers |

  4. #3
    S3 Paul's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,764
    why do people always say "sell the car " i want mine to go like a lambo. should i sell up to buy one?


    Right. well i would say you have a few options with that buget.
    i once fitted a k04 turbo (from an s3) along with the injectors, parts of the boost pipe custom downpipe to a mk4 golf 1.8t,
    This wasnt an easy job to be honest, most companys said go down the k03s route or a hybrid k03.
    With an exhaust. and a silicone TIP, good air filter and an exhaust
    after mapping you should be realy happy. If not its time for internals... but thats above budget.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

    I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

  5. #4
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,511
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    why do people always say "sell the car " i want mine to go like a lambo. should i sell up to buy one?

    If you can afford it, why not?



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  6. #5
    IIIadidasboy's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    311
    Is the 2K budget just for power - or do you want to be able to stop and turn the corners as well?
    2003 ARY A3 TQS - totally bog except for 18" Dezent Motion Blacks - Hopefully the Brembo Jr will fit these and I can start to update my sig!!

  7. #6
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,363
    2 things.

    1.you car WONT be 220bhp with a stage 1 CC on an otherwise standard ko3S car. the reality is that despite MANY people claiming over 200bhp from stage 1 maps, at the dyno days VERY few ko3S cars with a generic stage 1 map make 200bhp at all, more than 205 is basicly unheard of without full exhaust systems and stage 2 mapping to run more boost and such things.

    I'm sure someone will come along and claim they got '215bhp from just a stage 1', but sadly, it just doesn't happen.

    2. 2k will not see you over 250bhp. it just wont. and if you havnt done the brakes and suspension first, anything over about 220bhp is going to kill you anyway.

    Your best bet, is to spend the money on really sorting out your current setup.
    having a ko3S already, you're in a good position to start.

    Get a full turbo back exhaust, with a hi flow cat or decat, and a good flowing downpipe, coupled with a decent cat back system.

    Add an FMIC to keep charge temps nice and low and stop heatsoak, which happens SO fast with the standard SMIC.

    Have a custom map done. you should see around 22psi of boost, which should easily see you between 225-230bhp (possibly as much as 240, but it's rare) and easily 250lbft+.

    For reference, my CC2 mapped ko3S AGU made 290lbft at 24psi, and 225bhp at just 4500rpm, with the power still climbing until the fuel pump decided it had had enough and it leaned off. I've since changed the pump and it's quicker still.

    the different between a stage 1 mapped car that's otherwise standard, and a full stage 2 custom setup with a proper exhaust and FMIC, is absolutely huge!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  8. #7
    Jay
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark1984 View Post
    how much extra would it cost to sell you car and buy a mapped S3? Just another option for consideration
    Maybe another 4/5K for a decent one. Too be honest if I did buy another car i'd be looking at a 330 and keep it standard

    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    why do people always say "sell the car " i want mine to go like a lambo. should i sell up to buy one?
    Thankyou!!!! never the most helpful answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by IIIadidasboy View Post
    Is the 2K budget just for power - or do you want to be able to stop and turn the corners as well?
    Just for power at the moment. i'm getting new springs and shocks fitted over the next couple of weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    2 things.

    1.you car WONT be 220bhp with a stage 1 CC on an otherwise standard ko3S car. the reality is that despite MANY people claiming over 200bhp from stage 1 maps, at the dyno days VERY few ko3S cars with a generic stage 1 map make 200bhp at all, more than 205 is basicly unheard of without full exhaust systems and stage 2 mapping to run more boost and such things.

    I'm sure someone will come along and claim they got '215bhp from just a stage 1', but sadly, it just doesn't happen.

    2. 2k will not see you over 250bhp. it just wont. and if you havnt done the brakes and suspension first, anything over about 220bhp is going to kill you anyway.

    Your best bet, is to spend the money on really sorting out your current setup.
    having a ko3S already, you're in a good position to start.

    Get a full turbo back exhaust, with a hi flow cat or decat, and a good flowing downpipe, coupled with a decent cat back system.

    Add an FMIC to keep charge temps nice and low and stop heatsoak, which happens SO fast with the standard SMIC.

    Have a custom map done. you should see around 22psi of boost, which should easily see you between 225-230bhp (possibly as much as 240, but it's rare) and easily 250lbft+.

    For reference, my CC2 mapped ko3S AGU made 290lbft at 24psi, and 225bhp at just 4500rpm, with the power still climbing until the fuel pump decided it had had enough and it leaned off. I've since changed the pump and it's quicker still.

    the different between a stage 1 mapped car that's otherwise standard, and a full stage 2 custom setup with a proper exhaust and FMIC, is absolutely huge!
    Thanks Prawn. I've seen your posts on a few of the other forums and been reading your posts as you have an A3 aswell. Think I may go down this route first. If what you say is true then take the figures quoted by CC with a pinch of salt!

    So where do I start?

    - Exhausts - Theres so many out there. Any recommendations/links?
    - TIPS - I've seen the forge ones. Any others to consider?
    - FMIC - worth getting a second hand one???
    - BMC induction kit?? or will a panel filter be just as good.
    - Stage 2 map?
    - Solving the jerking when coming off part throttle!!

    Anything else?

    Would be nice but too far and a little expensive for me.
    http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216627
    Last edited by Jay; 10th July 2009 at 20:11.

  9. #8
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,363
    Jerking comming off part throttle shouldn't be happening, it tends to happen when the standard DV splits, but if you've got a forge, check it's not stuck.

    As for exhausts, Milltek are an obvious choice, but the full turbo back will cost you close on 900.

    For a cheaper alternative, the THS downpipe/decat from ebay is good, but it'll throw a CEL if you have a post cat lambda, so I'd look into the blue flame downpipe/100cel cat, as it's much cheaper than the milltek.

    For cat backs, the milltek is lovely, and not too loud at all, even in single box. Jetex make a nice system too, although the mk4 golf system fits nicer on the A3 bumper than the A3 system! Blue flame do a fairly cheap catback too, although I've heard the fit can be questionable. it is however cheap, and flows well.

    a TIP isn't REALLY needed, but it's a nice idea, and every little helps. get the forge, there's simply no NEED to shop around.
    FMIC: the turbo revs kit for 200 on ebay is actually amazingly good, the fit of the kit is perfect, and if you're prepared to fiddle around a bit with the DV position and making a decent N75 take off, it's stupidly good value for money.

    Induction wise, it's been proven from maf logs that the best flowing inlet setup is actually a smoothed airbox, with a decent panel filter and a sealled 4'' cold air feed taken from inside the front bumper.

    For mapping I'd speak to Bill ad Badger 5, although I have it myself, I don't rate the CC2 map too highly. it does work, but almost all the cars I've seen with it don't seem quite 'polished' enough. there are niggles.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  10. #9
    IIIadidasboy's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    311
    Prawn, have you modded your air box and added a cold air feed? - if so, any chance of a few pics.

    Found an old doc on my old work laptop that detailed how to add a cold feed to the standard air box - by drilling a hole into a section that looked like it had previously had something connected, but from the factory is now blanked off / solid and then running a piece of ducting / tubing to it from the bumper. This is something I want to do, but I'm waiting for my new VAGCOM lead before I start doing anything "air-wise" - because I want to be able to see before & afer results.

    Be3 nice to see if there are any other different ideas out there before I start cutting things!!

    TIA
    2003 ARY A3 TQS - totally bog except for 18" Dezent Motion Blacks - Hopefully the Brembo Jr will fit these and I can start to update my sig!!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO