Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

oil leaking from an injector??????

i was just having a look around my engine bay today, and i noticed that the injector on cylinder 2, had what looked like oil leaking out of it. Does anyone know what this could be or what it could mean????

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Its more than likely seeping fuel and its mixing with crap to make it look like oily residue. Seals can be changed and are under a each IIRC. Same seal for the bottom and the top iirc, so 2 per injector

...Watching you!

Status
    When you say cylinder 2, do you mean 2nd in from gearbox, or 2nd in from driver side?
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for the replies. by cylinder 2 i mean, that when you are standing facing the front of the car its second from the left, so drivers side to passenger side 1-2-3-4.

i noticed that cylinder 4 is doing the same as well. Are these seals easy to change, never took the injector out before, and could this be affecting performance in any way??

1st Gear

Status
    It is more than likely that the oil is residue from spillage when being topped up. Injector 2 always seems to get it most. I remember looking on mine once and it was injector 2 that had oil around it.

I would clean it all off and see if it return!

1st Gear

Status
    cool ok then. il clean it off tomorrow and see if it returns. cheers

...Watching you!

Status
    Its not oil spillage (well it may not be) as cylinder 3 for me is like that. I think its a dodgy seal on either the inlet manifold injector seat, or the O-ring seal at the top of the injector... I've redone my intake manifold and changed over the seals too so i will see if it re-occurs and there its coming from
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

1st Gear

Status
    i dont think its oil spillage either, as ive got the same on cylinder 4, and the leak is directly around the injector and nowhere else. are the seals on the injectors hard to change??

...Watching you!

Status
    Nah you can rip them apart in 30 seconds flat. The seats need a BIG hex key to remove them, or as i found out rather luckily, the screw driver that comes in the boot with the jack .etc...the end of that is a perfect fit for removing them. they are cheap to replace too at like 2 each or something

1st Gear

Status
    if thats the case il just change them all in one go. so do they just clip off or something, never taken the injectors out of any of my cars before?

...Watching you!

Status
    You undo the 2 M6 bolts holding down the fuel rail and then just lift it out. You could do with removing the wiring from the rail and removing the FPR to make life easier, but ease the fuel pressure first by removing the feed hose (top fuel pipe) with a handfull of kitchen roll around it. Its fairly simple really..as long as you dont drop anything into the cylinder! lol

1st Gear

Status
    had the same problem and just changed all of the seals, it does lose a bit of power as there is a slight loss in pressure, now changed seems fine

1st Gear

Status
    cool thanx for the advice, going to order the parts tomorrow and get on with it asap.

cheers guys