...is it true true that 225 S3's have a more 'mappable' ECU?

virdi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to know if this is a true fact....

Did the 225 S3's come with a ECU which is more tuner / mapping friendly than the earlier S3's?

Thanks

as far as I know they were a similar animal.

Do you still have your LCR?

As far as i know the only diffeance between the 210bhp and the 225bhp is the standard spec ECU map. When they first bought out the S3 they didnt want it to be as powerfull as the TT so it was restricted. If u get a remap done on either engine it will produce similar figures so theres not much in it. Internally the engines are the same.

This has been covered loads mate, the only real differnce is the 225 has vvti but thats only at very low speeds, part from afew small bits they are pretty much the same, will remap to nearly the same power, but like normal its all dependent on the car miles, condition etc to what power you get.

No real difference between the AMK 210 and the BAM 225. Both had VVT, although APY doesn't. Slightly different injectors, aparently, on the BAM.

Lifted from another forum:

Engine Diffrences
:
210 is an AMK Engine code, 225 is BAM.

210bhp/199lbft vs 225ps/208lbft. Both cars remap to practically the same. The 210 is actually 212ps, and the 225(ps) is actually 222bhp.

ECU Code for the 225 has an “A” on the end.

There were always rumours that the 210 had stronger internals (20mm wrist pins and different rods), but it seems that this rumour stemmed from the early Audi S3 APY engine (also 210bhp) having stronger rods. However, Yumann's engine (AMK) build thread, he kindly measured the gudgeon pins for us, and they are 20mm. The later BAM engine are supposed to have 19mm wrist pins.

From ETOS and ETKA the block and piston set for AMK :06A 103 101 J and for the BAM : 06A 103 101 J, conrod for AMK : 027 198 401 B, conrod for BAM : 027 198 401 B. So if they are different, nobody told SEAT Parts.

Both engines have VVT, but this is apparently for emissions rather than a VTEC style torque/power shift. Although most cars definitely pull again at about 4,000 rpm). Originally we thought the VVT actuation was different (one mechanical the other hydraulic) but we now understand them to be the same. Again, it is the APY (early 210 S3 engine, never fitted to the LCR) that has mechanical VVT actuation and possibly where the rumour started. Both AMK and BAM have Electro-hydraulic VVT actuation.

The turbo (K04-23 from Borg-Warner), manifold & exhaust are all the same.

as far as I know they were a similar animal.

Do you still have your LCR?

Hello mate

Yep - I still have the LCR - But it's 330BHP (IHI) now ;)

....but I now fancy an S3. Can't afford the new shape - So it's gonna have to be the 8L.

Hello mate

Yep - I still have the LCR - But it's 330BHP (IHI) now ;)

....but I now fancy an S3. Can't afford the new shape - So it's gonna have to be the 8L.

Are you looking for Haldex to handle the bigger power mods or just fancy a change mate. How does the LCR handle IHI?

... a bit of both really.

The LCR drives really well with 330... as long as you have decent tyres on the front - it's great.

it's just the rattles that I'm fed up with.

...But even if I go BT with the S3 - I get the feeling it won't feel as fast as the LCR.... cos of the transmission losses etc....

... a bit of both really.

The LCR drives really well with 330... as long as you have decent tyres on the front - it's great.

it's just the rattles that I'm fed up with.

...But even if I go BT with the S3 - I get the feeling it won't feel as fast as the LCR.... cos of the transmission losses etc....

I'd go with that (although I wouldn't shout about it on here). My car rattles (windows / dash, so don't see the 4 rings as a rattle free oasis of calm!!)

I really miss my LCR, and whilst the S3 is good its taken a lot of money to make it significantly better than my old 'R'.

What power are you at now?

Bit of a guess really, but I'd estimate somewhere in the ballpark of 330bhp+

Can't be sure as I have had RR, but I think it's a fair guesstimate. Hoping once the new intake / exhaust and DP go on that I might make 360bhp.

Virdi, have you got any pics of your LCR please mate??

Another difference in terms of mapping S3's the early ones can't be mapped via the com port and will need the ecu opening up and the chip swapping.

not aware of any "early" S3 not being port flashable.
early 210 motors had 512k ecu's which did'nt have wideband, so in that respect later ones with wideband and egt input are going to be "better" for tuning without the need for additional gauges etc