Annoying knocking noise...!

A3-sport

BOSE
Reaction score
Got a very annoying knocking noise coming from the front wheel area (drivers side) its hard to explain so just bear with me...

sounds to me like its coming from the front drivers wheel... at first I thought it was the centre caps (after having the tyres changed recently) so took them off, but that didnt solve the problem.

So the knocking gets faster, the faster I go. Doesnt effect the handling, cant feel it through the steering wheel or on the brakes etc.

Some days its not there at all, and othjer days (like today) its very annoying and pretty much constant.

So accelerating, it does it. Slowing down, it does it. Going round corners, it does it. The only time it doesnt do it, is when the speed is constant (not acceleating and not slowing down lol)

The knocking sounds fairly hollow and as i said before, you cant feel the vibrations in the steering wheel, or brakes etc or at all for that matter.

So im at my wits end here - very annoyed this morning as it only does it on some days.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. (PLEASE!)

Thanks!!!!

My bet would be the ARB drop link on the drivers side. I had the same problem on my S3 a few months ago. Get the car on a jack/stands and give the drop link a shake to see if there is a clonk or obvious lateral play.

Only ~£20 each from Audi if I recall, and a 20minute job to fit, although I would advise replacing both at the same time.

Cheers,

Cool. thanks. Is this the only real thing it could be...? Just so I know before buying some lol.

Unless there is something else loose, or another ball joint gone.

You can probably check the drop links with the car on the ground, by turning the wheels away from straight. and then you should be able to get your hand in to check for play in the links.

Failing that, pop down to your local Kwikke-Mart-Fit and ask them to check. Just ignore the rest of their BS...

Cheers,

Sounds rotational rather than drop links - why would knocking get faster with speed if drop links?

Although they normally creek / squeak - bushes can sometimes clunk, but normally on bends, not sure why the sound would follow the acceleration / decceleration.

Sure it's not a stone in the wheel ?!!

Unless there is something else loose, or another ball joint gone.

You can probably check the drop links with the car on the ground, by turning the wheels away from straight. and then you should be able to get your hand in to check for play in the links.

Failing that, pop down to your local Kwikke-Mart-Fit and ask them to check. Just ignore the rest of their BS...

Cheers,

Don't want to contradict but i wouldn't take my S3 anywhere near a Kwik Fit or equivalent for this, or anything else for that matter. They haven't got a clue.

Also if Balljoint it would most likely knock on turning. As above it's rotational if speed related.

So ive narrowed this down to it being only when the car is in gear... if I put my foot on the clutch, it dissapears... now im scared what could be wrong?

bummer. expensive fix then I guess?

Whats the best (ie cheapest) way to get this sorted then???

Cheapest way is to buy the parts from GSF etc and get your spanners out!.

Cheapest way is to buy the parts from GSF etc and get your spanners out!.

thats exactly what im going to do but need to know which it is first? The driveshaft or the bearing lol or both and the droplinks too? lol..

Gonna do an inspection laters lol.

hey everyone thanks for all the help with this the response was great :superman:

So yesterday I spent the day rolling around on my drive under the car trying to source the problem... Took a while and a bit of head sratching... :keule:

So, not the drive shaft.

Not the bearings.

Not the droplinks.

Not the wishbones or any other bushes etc

Was the flippin brake pad!!!!!!!! Little bit loose and dirty so wasnt touching the disc properly.

And do you know what I did to solve it??? Blew it a bit and banged it with a rubber hammer lol... sorted!!! :applaus:

Didnt have the right size allen keys to under the calliper or anything so made do with a bang with the hammer lol.

Was so pleased with my efforts,I gave her a wash after as a reward lol. Its rained ever since :keule: :keule: :keule:

Good stuff.

Glad it turned out to be something cheap and not serious. Always pays to get underneath and take a peek...

Cheers,

oh yes. gonna get some new pads if it does it again. simples.