Turbo Just Blew ...

jm-baker

Reaction score
I am really not happy!

Had my car service at audi 2 weeks ago, on my way home just now and came off a roundabout and i heard a pop from the engine and it bogged down. I thought i was a hose popped off and it was in limp mode for 5 seconds or so, and then as i was pulling over the BIGGEST cloud of dense white smoke you ever saw emerged from the exhaust and it stopped immediately.

I am assuming its the turbo gone. Seems a bit of a coincidence that audi touched it for the 1st time in 2 years just 100 miles ago and this happened....

Any input more than welcome. I didnt hear and mechanical noises so i am assuming its the turbo, and there was a lot or oil in the boost hoses and smoke when i looked popped them off while waiting for the AA.

Really not a happy guy right now.

Cheers

Last edited:
Understandable your not happy, but a turbo could go anytime. The nut sometimes comes undone on the compressor, if that has come off, make sure you find it before fitting another turbo !!

Sorry to hear mate.
You cant blame audi though, i know your going tobe pi**ed but like said a turbo can go at anytime.

Yeh i agree guys. Im not blaming Audi, i just thought it was a coincidence. Altho the sump was empty when i just looked. So i guess the turbo blowing cause it to burn the whole lot .... Would make sense if you saw the cloud i guess.

Looks like its time to start hunting for Turbo's.

Anyone know a good place for an K04 ?

Sorry to hear that, hope you get it sorted soon.

Yeh not having a good month. Company truck cambelt went, only finished a complete engine re-build yesterday on that ! Re-con Head, 1 new piston etc.

Looks like il still be busy in the evenings with this one now!

Tempting! Was looking at Backdraft's K04 hybrid.. only £100 over a standard one. . .

But i would ideally want a downpipe, cat's, FMIC. etc etc.

I think i just want it back running as cheap as possible.

Still tempting :think:

Excellent, thanks ! Will speak to them too!

Whats the capability of the CR Turbos hybrid though?

Whats the capability of the CR Turbos hybrid though?

They tell me it will flow around 300bhp but I would imagine you would need a few other mods to realise that. 280 ish would be more realistic without going for a different DP/Mani etc...

CR told me it will run up to 1.4bar happily but you wouldn't really want to run a K04 hybrid or otherwise much beyond that....

<tuffty/>

Wasnt glen runnng 1.8 bar through a normal ko4!

Glen is the exception rather than the rule ;)

You 'could' run more than 1.4bar but from what I understand reliability comes into question and 1.4bar for a lowly K04 hybrid or otherwise is more than enough... S3Paul had a similar issue with his JBS05 installation.

The K04 is pretty much maxed out on a stage 1 remap so pushing it much further will just lead to premature expiration of the component, same as anything in tuning... if you want the max it can deliver then you have to accept that reliability will suffer... why do you think Audi only map to 0.9/1 bar of boost...

1.4bar will be reliable (so they claim), much beyond that is Russian roulette but its your choice...

<tuffty/>

So me going hybrid is going tobe pointless really then, im wanting between 320-350 bhp and lb/ft, was looking at the JBSO5 and their uprateded manifold plus downpipe etc but will there be much point!

out of interest as i don't know anything about these things what actually happens when a turbo expires ??? does the internal compressor disintigrate ?? and if so what hapens to all the bits of metal ??? i would have thought they get pulled through the inlet tract.... so do they not damage valves, pistons, bores etc ??? or does the cold side of the turbo stay intact and it's the hot side that goes ?in which case i would image lumps of metal spat out of the exhaust pipe.... also what would cause it to empty the sump of oil so quickly ??? i dont understand the conection between inlet/exhaust and the sump...

Sorry if they are lame questions still learning about turbo motors... :)

So me going hybrid is going tobe pointless really then, im wanting between 320-350 bhp and lb/ft, was looking at the JBSO5 and their uprated manifold plus downpipe etc but will there be much point!

You aren't gonna get a genuine, reliable, consistent 320/350bhp from a K04 hybrid of any kind...

GT28RS is the route for you but you will need to change the rods if you expect to run more the 300ftlbs of torque as the risk of throwing a rod will be that much higher...

IIRC, Glen managed 280bhp from 1.8bar on his std K04 with numerous other mods, it was a genuine 280bhp though and consistently so... not sure what the torque figure was off hand, 290ish maybe?

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Really didn't want togo BT though :3sadwalk:, arn't the apy internals good for nearly 400bhp and lb/ft just with a change of the rods to stronger ones or is that just s**te i've read somewhere that isnt true?

IIRC, the internals and drivetrain are good for pretty big BHP, its the torque that kills it from what I have read... particularly easy to throw a rod as the torque rises...

I am looking to stroke mine when I get around to rebuilding... rebore to 82.5mm and use a 2lt stroker kit for the rest.

I still intend to use a hybrid with this setup and the extra torque and response I should get from stroking to 2lt will make it a nicer car to drive... not after massive figures...

<tuffty/>

How much will that set you back paul?

What parts are required todo that?

No idea yet and a bit off topic mate tbh... Will be looking at doing a build thread when I am ready but plan to use a hybrid turbo with it (see what I did there...lol)

To get the best out of the hybrid though you would need to go stage 2 at least on the remap...

<tuffty/>

Sorry for you mate...Hope you get it sorted soon and get the car back on the road where it belongs.

Thanks. I am hoping to have a good look at it all this weekend coming. Hopefully i will get away with just replacing the turbo. But i will drop the sump and inspect everthing, and replace the oil pickup as a precaution.

I am pretty certain it was just the turbo. Engine still turns over freely and no sign of metal in the bores etc. Just oil in all 4 cylinder, which to me indicated that the turbo sent oil down the inlet...

I guess the hard bit will be flushing the intercooler's out thoroughly and cleaning the exhaust best i can. oh and getting to the turbo! Looks tight in there, hoping i wont have the remove the subframe.

Whats the car's mileage out of interest?

Sounds the perfect excuse for a JBS05 hybrid etc.

I assume with just that Turbo and a stage 2 map one could get another 20bhp or so? Very tempting!

68K, yeh hybrid is tempting!

Was speaking to Backdraft earlier. They deff seem to know their stuff!

Anyone removed a turbo before on a S3?

Do i need to take the subframe off, or is it "possible" with it intact ?

Cheers

To my understanding a removal of the subframe won't be nessecary. At least I can't remember reading it was nessecary.

BTW, why the backdraft hybrid over JBS? Better? Cheaper?

You don't have to remove the subframe to get the turbo out, but it's ****** fiddly to get to the exhaust manifold.

Also, it sounds a little odd that the sump was completely empty, obviously the turbo has caused the oil to leak extensively through the vains, but you'd be surprised at how little oil it takes to make a plume of smoke.

yea, the backdraft hybrid is £895 and the JBS one is £1,689!

Be interested to see what the difference is, lol!

yea, the backdraft hybrid is £895 and the JBS one is £1,689!

Be interested to see what the difference is, lol!

With a cost difference like that, so would I - £895 sounds tempting!!!

Glen is the exception rather than the rule ;)

You 'could' run more than 1.4bar but from what I understand reliability comes into question and 1.4bar for a lowly K04 hybrid or otherwise is more than enough... S3Paul had a similar issue with his JBS05 installation.

The K04 is pretty much maxed out on a stage 1 remap so pushing it much further will just lead to premature expiration of the component, same as anything in tuning... if you want the max it can deliver then you have to accept that reliability will suffer... why do you think Audi only map to 0.9/1 bar of boost...

1.4bar will be reliable (so they claim), much beyond that is Russian roulette but its your choice...

<tuffty/>

1.5 bar is deemed safe for a Ko4 which is 22psi, running 1.4 is only 20 which is about 250bhp...

Mine runs 1.55 aprox and I know 2 of my mates S3's are about the same, more than 1.4 anyway...

Oh and sorry to hear about your car mate, hope you get it sorted sn...good spec on your car and IMO the best colour, very rare...

Thanks leggy. I have toyed with the idea of selling it a few time, but i cant find a car a that could match it within my budget yet. I would want an RS4 or 911 as the next in the chain ...:eyebrows: I still love driving the S3 even after almost 3 years.

Great cars, just need to get it back on the road! Just not sure about the hybrid yet... Backdraft is £699 + vat for their hybrid K04 (exchange unit). Then a downpipe and 200cpi cat is about £570 +vat. Revo stage 2 is only £50 upgrade from stage 1. But then i would want a FMIC too. It soon adds up!

Just had a good look at the car, took all the hoses off, and its not pretty. The compressor wheel is sitting way off center with most its blades smashed off. Looks like it was bearing failure that caused it all.

Took the lower 1st intercooler hose off and got about a litre of oil out of it. But when i took the intercooler off i also got 10 or so pieces of the compressor wheel. Didnt have time to get the 2nd intercooler off to see if they travelled that far, but i did remove the intake manifold to have a good look inside and i cant see anything in there. I also looked down the bores through the plug holes, and didnt see anything in there either.

Now debating if i will take the head off for a good look....

When my turbo blew the intercooler caught the peices very well, as i checked the TB and that and no extra oil or fragments that made it that far that i could see. Mine is rebuilt and still running months later.

I removed all of the pipes and coolers and flushed them through with Gunk, gave it a real good soak and shake around and pressure washered it out in reverse to clean it out.

I wiped the pipes out and carb cleaned to de grease too.

Good luck with it

Thanks for your input.

I will have a good look at the inlet manifold, i dont think anything made it that far. But i will check it all thoroughly!

Cheers

i doubt wether anything got into the engine if it was me id leave the head on with the replacment turbo and cleaned out hoses and intercooler then see how it goes if any damage has been done its more then likelydamaged already so you wouldnt make it much worse from just running it up to see, if anything has got into the engine it would more then likely have scored the bores anyway so you'd be looking at a rebuild or another engine, this is really unlikely though the ic should have stopped it all