Standard pistons... What they good for?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
RIght as part of my build ive looked at maybe over boring the block and using uprated pistons... Some however say the standard bores and pistons are good for 400 to 450 bhp?
Its a BAM engine im rebuilding so with uprated IE conrods and a full rebuild on a honed block would this be good or do i need to shell out the extra to over bore by 1mm?
Im going to be running 350bhp and then maybe upgrade the turbo to get me somewhere near 400. that will be it. Anythingelse is just over kill and not cost efective IMO.

i need to move fast as the engine needs building soon
The engine recon place has said the block has honed out fine and measures bang on spec,

Overbore........pointless really on a turbo motor unless ytour looking for absolute max power or repairing damaged bores

350 bhp... ??? you will need an upgraded turbo anyway never mind 400

My car already has a jbs 05 conversion with the new top speck k04 hybrid on amoungst other things.

IIRC the std pistons are good for up to 500 bhp, they are wll made and well balanced. The rods are the weak spot

The rods at limit will withstand about 380BHP but thats at limit. If your getting to 380 or near i would change them and especially if you want 400BHP

Im fitting IE conrods so they will see me good,
Ive been told many times the pistons can take near 500 but the standard rods will fail around 350.
Without Nos im not going to get to 500.
Im thinking aim for 400 and then fine tune the handeling.