Volks AutosSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Truly annoying rattle

Hi, my car is making a very annoying rattle every time the n/s rear goes over a bump. It is a metal on metal type sound as apposed to a bang. i have had it up on the rapms given everything a good shake but cant recreate the noise when not on the road. had the arb link arm replaced, and new springs so pretty sure its neither of thoes. Does anyone have any ideas, its getting really annoying. Only really heard when the windows are down. Any help would be great.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    have a look at the bearings in the front shock mounts
    these can rattle quite badly

1st Gear

Status
    how would i do that? could it be the rear shock mounts, because it only comes from the back end on the left side.

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    Must be something to do with the rear shock mounts, ARBs or bushes... I had the same before on my previous A3 and got a mechanic to sort it out with new mounts and ARB bushes on the back.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Assume you've put it on ramp with load rather than lifting on the body, so you can see if anythings touching or close to touching when body weight is on the suspension.

I'd get someone to stand in the boot & jump up & down to see if it recreates the problem, try lifting on ramp 1st of course

Tie rods were common thing on fronts

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    yeah its been on the ramp with load. we (myself and the mechanic) have checked everything we could think of, everything is where it should be and solid, so im very confused, he suggested that it could be something loose in the chassis? other than that i have no idea, but it is really quite loud which is making me slightly concerned.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I doubt its chassis, I really do doubt it, I would be leaning to a bush on a fixing tbh, check again mate as bushes are synonymously a pain in the arse.

1st Gear

Status
    right, ive been in the boot jumping up and down like a madman, but it doesnt make the rattle, pushed down all four corners and no noise either. I dont think its any of the suspension, any other ideas?

1st Gear

Status
    ARB bushes are common and wishbone bushes these will produce a rattle mine has started doing it so will be getting mine replaced lol
    Nogaro Blue 2001 S3 Quattro, Cream leather interior. Miltek Cat back, Induction kit, KO4 Hybrid Turbo, Chipped Remap, Power Boost Valve, Forge RC DV, Compbrake Racing 4 Pot Calipers with 2piece 350x32mm Conversion Front, 2 piece 330x20mm Compbrake Conversion on Back, Discs are Powervane Racing Rotors Gas slotted and internally veined. Hawk Hps Pads, Goodridge Braided lines to Calipers. Bose Symphony sound system. Compbrake Quickshift and side shift. Big thanks to www.Vagperformance.co.uk

1st Gear

Status
    After reading some posts on here about brake pads, i checked mine and it turns out they were rattling insisde the calliper. Had some copper grese put on them and no more rattle...whey!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by landopanda View Post
    After reading some posts on here about brake pads, i checked mine and it turns out they were rattling insisde the calliper. Had some copper grese put on them and no more rattle...whey!
    Yes bang on you just reminded me. When my pads where quite low they rattled around so i went mental and did a full conversion lol front and back.
    Nogaro Blue 2001 S3 Quattro, Cream leather interior. Miltek Cat back, Induction kit, KO4 Hybrid Turbo, Chipped Remap, Power Boost Valve, Forge RC DV, Compbrake Racing 4 Pot Calipers with 2piece 350x32mm Conversion Front, 2 piece 330x20mm Compbrake Conversion on Back, Discs are Powervane Racing Rotors Gas slotted and internally veined. Hawk Hps Pads, Goodridge Braided lines to Calipers. Bose Symphony sound system. Compbrake Quickshift and side shift. Big thanks to www.Vagperformance.co.uk

2nd Gear

Status
    Glad you found what it was - I was going to suggest exhaust / heat shield - I've never heard of that before with the brakes, learnt something new today so I'll sleep easy tonight!!!

Cheers.
    2003 ARY A3 TQS - totally bog except for 18" Dezent Motion Blacks - Hopefully the Brembo Jr will fit these and I can start to update my sig!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Damn didnt even think of that tbh as not heard that to many times on the rears, fronts yes as I have that on mine but rears no, well glad sorted & even the smallest gap movement makes the noise huh, looks like got a greasing job to do on fronts this weekend.

5th Gear

Status
    Damn, i was going to say rattling brake pads but got beaten to it.

It happened on my previous car when i lost a spring clip thing that holds the pads in place. Looks like the back ones don't have then on the S3 though?
    Current: RenaultSport Clio 172
    Previous: 2001 ('51) S3 Quattro
    Previous: 2001 E46 M3 Coupe
    Previous: 2001 Civic Type R