JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport

Thread: Oil Question

va va voom

Status

Oil Question

helllo

I use Halfords 5w40 but my car is running low, is it ok to top up with 10w40 semi synthetic for now ?
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Personally I wouldn't - but then I've been suckered into using the official VAG longlife oil since I had it from birth - even though I took it off the AVS method after the services came around at inconvenient stages which never coincided with haldex maintenance etc. Plus, I've never thought it a good idea to mix oils - but maybe that's just me.

Someone more knowing than I can probably answer better than me though.
    2003 ARY A3 TQS - totally bog except for 18" Dezent Motion Blacks - Hopefully the Brembo Jr will fit these and I can start to update my sig!!

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Dude, I would probably stick to the 5w40 if thats whats already in there.

I personally use 10w40 and always have.

Third Gear

Status
    Not sure what car you have, but on my 2002 S3 there is a sensor, so if you use lower quality oils, it moves the service forward.

I use 5W30 Fully Synthetic

Third Gear

Status
    Which I should probably add is the long life oil, and recommended by Audi. If you read your manual it will state the Oil code that you should use, and then check on-line, as there have been new oil codes released which replace those. Cant remember what they were, but there was another post similar to this a while back, and they mentioned it there.

I say find out what you need, and spring for the good stuff, after all it is your engine on the line, and that aint cheap to replace!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi,

I use "elf exellium full-tech 0w-30"
    verry good oil.

2nd Gear

Status
    If you have "old" 5w-40 on your car now, let's say 4.3L, and you'll top up with 0.2L 10w-40 it won't make a difference...You'll still have 5w-40 in there, at least 97% or something like that Just remember to change it to the right oil the next, not just topping and topping up with lower quality oil...You'll figure it out

My S3 is on Castrol Edge 0w-40 (503.01) and I change it every 7500km. Plus I have the bigger oil filter instead of the small one...
    My old car.. Still miss the lil rocket :-)

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads

Status
    And never use unbranded Halfords crap, it's the life blood of your engine, DO NOT SKIMP!
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

va va voom

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    And never use unbranded Halfords crap, it's the life blood of your engine, DO NOT SKIMP!
    i use to use the "desginer stuff" but got told the halfords oil is very good, alot of people on this forum use the same oil
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    On what basis is that statement made? How do you know the Halfords stuff is 'crap' and worse than all other branded oils?

1st Gear

Status
    I use 10w40 fully synthetic as it's recommended by Turbo companies when having a turbo upgrade.
    Nogaro Blue 2001 S3 Quattro, Cream leather interior. Miltek Cat back, Induction kit, KO4 Hybrid Turbo, Chipped Remap, Power Boost Valve, Forge RC DV, Compbrake Racing 4 Pot Calipers with 2piece 350x32mm Conversion Front, 2 piece 330x20mm Compbrake Conversion on Back, Discs are Powervane Racing Rotors Gas slotted and internally veined. Hawk Hps Pads, Goodridge Braided lines to Calipers. Bose Symphony sound system. Compbrake Quickshift and side shift. Big thanks to www.Vagperformance.co.uk

va va voom

Status
    Got halfords 5w40 in the end.

Halfords oil is made by a company call duckhams or somthing
    Last edited by rickparmar; 2nd July 2009 at 17:04.

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Duckhams are an old skool Oil company, they have been around for years dude, so dont worry and the Halfords Oils are quite highly recommended.