Quick TIP question....

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
....do Forge TIPS come with clamps etc when you buy them?.

Cheers

Tom

Also I'm just looking at my old one and sussing out how to change it when my Forge item arrives.

I can see the old one is part rubber...part cast metal. Do I have to go in from underneath to unbolt the metal end as there's no way my hands are going to fit down from above.

So in light of that I have to get a clip to hold the Forge one on at the bottom, anyone know what size clip this is?. I can see myself starting and not having the right size clip and having to refit the old one so I can drive to get one!.

Cheers

Tom

nope they dont come with clips and your best bet is just measuring when it gets to ya.....jubilees will be fine for the TIP, you'll need stronger than jubilees if you start replacing turbo hoses though

OK thanks for that. I have a few knocking about so I'll have a look when the TIP arrives.

I'm guessing there's a bolt or something holding on the original. I've dropped the airbox out to get a bit more room but the gear shift cables are right in the way.

This is turning into a bit of a faff!. Anyone know how the original is attached at the turbo end?. I've had a look and a feel but cant work it out. I've also scoured by Haynes book.....nothing!.

Help!

Cheers, I've just had the car up on axle stands and had a look from the underside. There's an allen bolt holding the metal end of the standard TIP to the turbo which looks like it holds it on.

I'll see how I get on when the new one arrives....I'm expecting lots of swearing. It's all pretty tight down there so we'll see how it goes. There's a lot going on down there, hoses and pipes all over the shop!.

T

Made no easier doing it in this warm weather!!

I remember seeing a fitting guide on another site some time back - might have been tyresmoke or uk-mkivs - can't remember now - but it may be worth getting hold of one before you start!!

Hopefully someone on here will be able to advise - never done it myself.

I've found a fitting guide but its not the best....

http://www.vag20v.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=411

I'll just have to crack on with it when the TIP arrives (tomorrow with a bit of luck).

Fingers crossed it cools down a bit for when I do it....cant be doing with being stuck under a hot when its 30 degrees!.

Tom

you dont need to upgrade the clamps for the TIP....standard jubilees will do the job, the TIP is subject to different forces than the turbo hoses so it is a false economy to swap them....

Cool, jubilee clips will be used.

I cant help but think this is going to be a bit of a pig of a job, access is really tight at the bottom.

Oh well, sh*t or bust I suppose! :)

jojo....no mate

Tom....the S3 one is easy unless your turbo is further down you shouldnt have a problem.....just a case of felling what your doing as opposed to seeing

Well, thats good!.

I think its a bit cheeky that they dont supply the fittings though, I thought the same when I got my 007...wouldnt take much to lob a couple of clips in the box would it?.

T

jojo....no mate

Tom....the S3 one is easy unless your turbo is further down you shouldnt have a problem.....just a case of felling what your doing as opposed to seeing

From the top with the airbox removed etc taking everything off the TIP is easy (DV etc), its the bottom where it connects to the turbo where the problem is. The gear cables are right in the way from above.

After getting the car up in the air and crawling underneath I think it should be OK (but still a bit of a pain).

Here's a pic of the turbo from below, the tip is pretty easy to get to, I can see the allen bolt to get it off but I'll need to have a good look/feel around to see if there's anything else holding it on when I get the TIP.

3677733141_74bdda04c5_b.jpg

Fingers crossed....curse my fat sausage fingers!.

T

dunno then mate, cant really tell from that pic either.....your best bet will prob be to message Prawn/HTC or someone like that

It's just the bolt holding the TIP to the turbo. There is also a pipe, which I think is for coolant attached to it as well.

tom if you doing figure it up do a little write up or something would really help people, plus im getting mine after my holidays, so ill be asking the same question otherwise :D

good luck.

Yep no worries, I'll take some snaps a I go and do a guide or something...if it goes well :)

from that picture, how does the new tip fit onto the turbo, as the old one is bolted on ?

from that picture, how does the new tip fit onto the turbo, as the old one is bolted on ?

From what I've been told........the new TIP is fits over the turbo and is held on with a jubilee clip.

ohh yer you can see the where it gets wider at the end, the turbo must be a male.

From what I've been told........the new TIP is fits over the turbo and is held on with a jubilee clip.

That's right. It can be a bit of a pain geting it in position so if you can, get someone to help you. Makes life so much easier.

If it turns up today I'll have a crack at fitting it.

I think I'll and get the bottom end on first (but not tighten it up fully) and then fit everything else at the top. Once everythings on and in the right place I'll nip the bottom up.

I'll be flying solo on this one though...so anything could happen :whistle2:

Well the TIP has just arrived...let the fun commence! :)

Well thats that fitted, pretty tricky down the bottom end but nothing a bit of huffing and puffing didnt sort out.

I got some pics as I went so I'll do another thread as a bit of a 'how to' guide.

Phew....time for a brew and a bit of fruit cake methinks.

Tom

:thumbsup: Well done Tom, glad it went well - have you taken it for a test drive yet (before you get youself cleaned up!! )