Audi a3 strange whining !

S3mad

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hi all ,

when i go to start my car its starts then a loud whining noise happens !

now would this be the starter motor or something else ??

Probably a belt that needs adjusting - does it happen when it's cold and then only last a few seconds

yes only lasts a few secounds but is a awfal noise like a whine and crunch

Mine does it too?
When i start my car its fine doesnt make a noise.
But if i start my car then within a min or two put air con on it wines then goes crunch like something engaging then its fine last 2 maybe 3 seconds.
Cambelt pulleys water pump etc has all been changed leass than 10k ago.
Any ides

sounds like the air pump to me, mine dose it aswell.
what happens is after time the seal between the pumps housing degrades and the air can escape making that noise , there was a realy usefull wright up on here somewere telling you how to fix it as its a very simple quick job

sounds like the air pump to me, mine dose it aswell.
what happens is after time the seal between the pumps housing degrades and the air can escape making that noise , there was a realy usefull wright up on here somewere telling you how to fix it as its a very simple quick job

It is the Air Con compressor and it is on it's way out if not dead already.

A few weeks ago I came to a stop at a junction and on moving off I had this really loud whine, anyhow carried on and all seemed fine. When I came to stop and restart the car you can here this horrible grinding crunch happening everytime. I did all manner of tests, foot on clutch, foot off clutch, engine on, light throttle, engine off etc. I then pressed the ECON button on the climate control as this turns off the air conditioning and low and behold the noise went. After a few more tests press button off, turn on engine, no noise, press button on, noise, turn engine off, keep button on, turn engine on, noise.

I hoped it was just the electromagnetic clutch however just got it back from SJB in Basingstoke (legends) and it comes down to a faulty compressor unit. Meaning a need to put a new one in, new valve, new drier and a regas for the princely sum of £620 all in. If you want a dealer specific then you are looking at £1000+

So end of July I'll be getting it fitted. I had a look around and they are on the money

Try the Econ thing to eliminate that first, but there is a common problem with the secondry air pump making noise. If its mostly on cold starts when the revs are at 1200 then i would lay money thats what it is. Out 2001 A3 TQS does it, and we have a used pump en route as i type, so will advise if it fixes our problem for future reference

Ouch!! sorry to hear that jester.
Think I've got the same problem as Mark - it only happens on a cold start and only lasts 2-3 secs so I'm not bothered (at the mo) - don't know if my neighbours agree though!!

Mine does it too but not very often at all.

Its like a 'squeeeeeeeel' when I start the engine, then it goes away.

Aircon seems to work OK though!.

T

ya looks to be an easy fix tbh cheap aswell and we all like that.
i might do mine tomoro aswell but im nt gonna do it if its too hot, because ill end up gettin p****d off with it if it dosnt go well
heat make me grumpy sum times lol