protecting my clutch

rich-hill@hotmail.com

Reaction score
My S3 has done 55,000 miles. So clutch should still be fine.

I have just had a revo remap, so obviously much more power being produced.

If there anything i should stay away from to try and make my clutch last as long as possible? I don't fancy having to fork out to replace it soon.

Many Thanks
Rich

My S3 has done 55,000 miles. So clutch should still be fine.

I have just had a revo remap, so obviously much more power being produced.

If there anything i should stay away from to try and make my clutch last as long as possible? I don't fancy having to fork out to replace it soon.

Many Thanks
Rich

Don't hammer it away from the lights or from a stand still, that will increase the life of your clutch with a remap. :icon_thumright:

Normal driving will be fine, but launching the car from standstill is probably going to inflict the most damage. And with the extra added torque of the remap, I guess continues use at full throttle passing the 3k revs mark where peak torque is made will probably add more stress on the clutch.

Dont put your foot down unless your over 3k or it will put alot stress on the clutch.

I'd say don't 'ride' the clutch and no fast standing starts.

As for other driving, like not revving until after 3k etc. Whats the point in that. You might as well enjoy the extra power or why bother having it.

Next we'll all be complaining about fuel consumption!!

put it in the garage with a cover over it then your clutch will be fine

Limit your launches, don't slip more than neccesary and feed the power in rather than stamping on it. I don't think the Revo is the most agressive map either so it hopefully brings the power in a progressive way

ENJOY !!

sorry to nick the thread but its kind of relevant.
im toying with the idea of a remap on my amk s3, however im just about to kreep over the 100k mark.
i dnt drive my car hard regularly as it is a daily driver, would a remap at this mileage just be asking for problems with clutch etc, any advice would be apreciated.

put it in the garage with a cover over it then your clutch will be fine

I only ask because surly you have to draw the line somewhere between performance and running cost, therwise surly everybody would be running silly boost and silly power.

I drive aprox 3000 miles a month, i don't drive it like i stole it all the time.
I jsut wanted to know how i can limit the damage to a part of the engine thats fairly expensive to replace, i don't think i'm being un-reasonable.

SO for exmaple in a 30 zone, doing 30 ticking over in 5th is ok, but to accelerate out of that to a 60 zone for example, change down the gears so revs are over 3k rather than foot to the floor in a high gear

If you want my honest opinion Rich, you've obviously got yourself an S3 for a reason, and remapped it for the same reason other than looking good driving down the street. The OE clutch is more than capable of handling mapped power/torque, just drive it as you were and avoid launching it from standstill and it should be fine.

As for the 3k revs remark, I was just pointing out that's where peak torque happens, don't neccesarily avoid going past 3k revs on full throttle, it the best part of a remap having the wallop of torque in that part of the rev band. :racer:

@55k miles, I would worry more about when you are getting your cambelt done if you haven't already, every 60k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Cambelt was changed at 52K so freshly done.
Thanks for that, just want to last as long as possible and if avoiding little things will make the big difference then that wil all help

sorry to nick the thread but its kind of relevant.
im toying with the idea of a remap on my amk s3, however im just about to kreep over the 100k mark.
i dnt drive my car hard regularly as it is a daily driver, would a remap at this mileage just be asking for problems with clutch etc, any advice would be apreciated.

anyone....

anyone....

I have heard that the only thing a remap does is speed up problems which were there in the first place anyway,like when coilpacks started to go with people with remapped cars they thought it was the remaps then when older cars without started having problems the VAG recognised the problem and gave a warranty of 5 years on them IIRC.

My personal experiance is that my car was 50k and had remap and in three and a half years I've popped a coilpack and still running the original clutch with over twenty drag runs/a few trackdays and driving hard more than I should its 86k and alls fine.

as long as its been serviced regular should be fine i just sold a mk4 golf on 130k that had been mapped since 70k

If you want my honest opinion Rich, you've obviously got yourself an S3 for a reason, and remapped it for the same reason other than looking good driving down the street. The OE clutch is more than capable of handling mapped power/torque, just drive it as you were and avoid launching it from standstill and it should be fine.

As for the 3k revs remark, I was just pointing out that's where peak torque happens, don't neccesarily avoid going past 3k revs on full throttle, it the best part of a remap having the wallop of torque in that part of the rev band. :racer:

@55k miles, I would worry more about when you are getting your cambelt done if you haven't already, every 60k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

I agree here. Its pointless doing the re-map & then worrying about breaking it.
Realistically guys another 40 or so bhp is not that much for it to cope with if the car's driven normally.
I mean i've seen some numpties burning out clutches on 1.4s by trying to burn outs etc.

If it had been a map on top of a turbo upgrade pushing over 300 then maybe it would be worth worrying...

My cars been running on a MTM 310 bhp hybrid for about 25k, only just beginning to slip! You should be fine for 250 or so for quite a while mate

cheers guys, probably be remap time soon! it depends how long i keep the car tho??