Badger5Sky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Question Vagcom (what do i need to get started)

i think its about time i got vagcom (freebie download)
    can anyone advise me,on how to get started
    i here there are free (part) vagcom downloads,does anyone have links?
    also where is the best place to get the lead as ive heard some cheap leads off ebay etc dont work
    any links,advice,do/donts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Ask NHM he is a genuine Vagcom dealer

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    is it not possible to download a scaled down version off the net?

6th Gear

Status
    From what i remember the program is free to down load, The ross tec lead had a code in it that allows you to get full use of the thing,
    They do have older versions that will work ( to a point ) with say an ebay special lead but as they are uncoded you will only get to check simple things, most fault codes will come up but logging isnt possible i dont think,
    Ive now got a full working version as it drove me mad with the un coded version.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Status
    Get the real deal. It was the 1st thing I bought for my car and its saved me a few hundred quid easy, which is what it costs to buy.

If you ever get rid of your car and dont get another VAG car you'll still be able to make back most of your money by selling the cable on ebay.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry if i sound stupid,but i guess you have to have a laptop to use this?..i would like to get vagcom but dont have a laptop.is there a feck of lead that i could use so i can run if from my pc?..

A3 1.8 TURBO| RS6 18INCH ALLOYS | FORGE 007 | SMOOTHED O/E BOX WITH COLD AIR FEED | COILOVERS | MOTECH RE-MAP | FULL CREAM LEATHER | FORGE DV RELOCATION | FORGE TIP HOSE|SILICONE BOOST HOSES|REMOVED REAR WIPER|G60 FLYWHEEL & VR6 CLUCTH|MILTEK CAT BACK DISCREET SYSTEM|312MM BRAKE UPGRADE|UPRATED DOG BONE MOUNT.

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    You can use a PC with a very long USB cable if you're into masochism. I would recommend getting one of those new web-books for a couple of hundred quid or you can get an OK second-hand laptop from ebay for less than 70 squid.

The original VAGcom cable with the latest version of VagCom software is the way to go, but if you're on a tight budget, get an ebay cable and use one fo the older versions of the software in trial mode (it limits functionality big time thgouh). I found it too limited, so shelled out for a proper cable and can use the latest and greatest VAG-com software, which does not work with cheap ebay cables.

Status
    You could buy yourself a PDA and there's a tool called VAG Check which you can get from here:

http://www.arlab.it/vc/main.html

all you need to do is purchase an ebay cable for the PDA. This is a good option because you can throw the PDA and cable in the glove box so you always have it but its not as good as VAGCOM.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    when you have vag.com, laptop, ebay cable etc where in the car is the obd port? I have a 2000 a3 1.8t. (sorry if thats a stupid question)
    2000 AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo Sport- VMaxx Coilovers, Whiteline Front Anti Roll Bar, FK Strut Brace, Forge Split R Dump Valve, Apiro Carbon Fibre Induction Kit., 18"BBS LM reps
    Coming Soon-Whiteline Rear ARB , Vortex Exhaust

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Under the headlight switch half way down theres a purple (well mine is) socket, plug it in there.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

5th Gear

Status
    Beneath the ash tray - look at the back of the enclosure, there is a plastic 'tab' that will pop off, revealing the OBD port. (That's on a 98 TSport)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by recomdos View Post
    Beneath the ash tray - look at the back of the enclosure, there is a plastic 'tab' that will pop off, revealing the OBD port. (That's on a 98 TSport)
    Thanks thats where I thought it was, but when I look under the ashtray theres just an OBD plug shaped hole but no actual socket, maybe the sockets been pushed behind the panel or maybe its under the headlight switch, i'll have to explore.

Another stupid question do I need to find to the OBD port in order to get the car remapped?
    2000 AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo Sport- VMaxx Coilovers, Whiteline Front Anti Roll Bar, FK Strut Brace, Forge Split R Dump Valve, Apiro Carbon Fibre Induction Kit., 18"BBS LM reps
    Coming Soon-Whiteline Rear ARB , Vortex Exhaust