Vagcom (what do i need to get started)

afcjay

Reaction score
i think its about time i got vagcom (freebie download)
can anyone advise me,on how to get started
i here there are free (part) vagcom downloads,does anyone have links?
also where is the best place to get the lead as ive heard some cheap leads off ebay etc dont work
any links,advice,do/donts?
:thumbsup:

is it not possible to download a scaled down version off the net?

From what i remember the program is free to down load, The ross tec lead had a code in it that allows you to get full use of the thing,
They do have older versions that will work ( to a point ) with say an ebay special lead but as they are uncoded you will only get to check simple things, most fault codes will come up but logging isnt possible i dont think,
Ive now got a full working version as it drove me mad with the un coded version.

Get the real deal. It was the 1st thing I bought for my car and its saved me a few hundred quid easy, which is what it costs to buy.

If you ever get rid of your car and dont get another VAG car you'll still be able to make back most of your money by selling the cable on ebay.

Sorry if i sound stupid,but i guess you have to have a laptop to use this?..i would like to get vagcom but dont have a laptop.is there a feck of lead that i could use so i can run if from my pc?..:think:

You can use a PC with a very long USB cable if you're into masochism. I would recommend getting one of those new web-books for a couple of hundred quid or you can get an OK second-hand laptop from ebay for less than 70 squid.

The original VAGcom cable with the latest version of VagCom software is the way to go, but if you're on a tight budget, get an ebay cable and use one fo the older versions of the software in trial mode (it limits functionality big time thgouh). I found it too limited, so shelled out for a proper cable and can use the latest and greatest VAG-com software, which does not work with cheap ebay cables.

when you have vag.com, laptop, ebay cable etc where in the car is the obd port? I have a 2000 a3 1.8t. (sorry if thats a stupid question):think:

Under the headlight switch half way down theres a purple (well mine is) socket, plug it in there.

Beneath the ash tray - look at the back of the enclosure, there is a plastic 'tab' that will pop off, revealing the OBD port. (That's on a 98 TSport)

Beneath the ash tray - look at the back of the enclosure, there is a plastic 'tab' that will pop off, revealing the OBD port. (That's on a 98 TSport)

Thanks thats where I thought it was, but when I look under the ashtray theres just an OBD plug shaped hole but no actual socket, maybe the sockets been pushed behind the panel or maybe its under the headlight switch, i'll have to explore.

Another stupid question do I need to find to the OBD port in order to get the car remapped?