Jaber Sport ?

tvr1

Reaction score
Any of you guys or girls had a jaber chip ?

as the price for the power and the type of work seems very good.

Jabbasport

Haven't seen any of their chipping or what it costs. There was a rolling road graph of a seat 1.8T of theirs, IHI turbo, running a tad over a bar, 348bhp, 291lb/ft. I presume that was with stronger internals and mappable engine management.. but the graph was as smooth as a.. a... very smooth thing! Maybe torque was a little down, but with strong internals you could easily run 1.5bar sustained boost, that'd increase it a fair bit.

Yes sounds reasonable, good that its a remap not a generic chip.

I'd like to see the torque increases they get
I'd like to see some power and torque rolling road graphs - this will tell you alot about how the car will drive, if the torque is peaky or if its nice and chunky. Also where is the torque ? I saw a graph for another product on the market where torque was very peaky and peaked at about 4700rpm, very high for a turbo engine. Personally I like to see a real aggressive torque curve which the peaks with a nice "flat top". This means the car will pull like hell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also look how smooth the graph is.

Send em a mail see if they can email you one or pop up there and drive a demo car ?
Whatever you find out post back here for all to see!

a m8 of mine is a golf MK1 geek.

He is the guy who suggested them to me as a lot of peeps from the cub gti web site have used them as the engine transplant for a 20vt is popular with them.

There not very close to me as im in Maidstone and they in P'borough once ive done some more research if it looks like a good bet then the day i go up there would be the day i get it chipped.

the power graphs (i pinched the link from someone elses post) http://www.seatcupra.net/~mark/rr/rr.htm

look damn good albeit on 2wd not any 4s

just got to talk the misses into letting me go to p'borough with me wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

think id better take her shopping tomow get her a nice dress

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Seizure said:
I've heard up to 380 bhp is possible with an IHI Roller bearing turbo @ £699 inc VAT AND a JabbaSport Exhaust manifold @ £499 inc VAT. On top of that you'll obviously need a re-map.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont doubt it, but you'll need alot more than the three items listed. Steel rods, better pistons, maybe a steel crank.
I'd be suprised if the motorinc can keep up with a roller bearing turbo, which means new ECU.

[ QUOTE ]
Seizure said:
It's all to do with the OE turbo and especially the exhaust manifold being too restrictive, so even though boost can be pushed more, the charge temperature is increased and therefore reduces performance, as we all know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed the stock turbo isn't going to flow nearly enough for high power like this.

[ QUOTE ]
Seizure said:
This JabbaSport setup doesn't spool up until later in the rev range, I think around 2500 rpm, but comes in smoothly and will pull right up to the red line as opposed to OE setup which creates maximum bhp at 5800 rpm.

[/ QUOTE ]

All down to the turbo size, its compressor map and the ECU map.

[ QUOTE ]
Seizure said:
Incidentally don't be put off if you have the 150/180 bhp lump. This will work just as well for you. The internals will take it. Jabbasport's own 400 bhp engine was one a 150 lump and I'm pretty sure they said they were running standard internals without any problems. Apparently the early A3 engine, engine code AGU, responds the best to this upgrade due to it's larger ports.

[/ QUOTE ]

I *very* much doubt its running anywhere near 400bhp on stock internals. Piston crown simply wouldn't take it and the rods wouldn't take the torque either. Pistons dont have alot of strength in them either. A 1.8T rod is dainty... From what I've seen of Jabbasport they do things properly so I suspect its got a whole new steel bottom end. If all internals have been replaced and the ECU has been replaced with a mappable unit it wont matter what the engine was to start with...

Maybe we should get jabbasport on here to give us the full S.P. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Seizure said:
Compressor map? Uh? What's one of those? The ECU controls fueling and timing based on a trigger point and a load sensor (throttle position/potentiometer). The turbo merely runs off the exhaust gasses produced by the engine. The design of the impellor is the factor that controls when the turbo is spinning fast enough to create positive pressure, i.e. boost. In this case the bigger turbo requires a higher rate of gas flow to get it spinning, hence why you don't notice the boost until higher in the rev range. The ECU however could control when the waste gate opens and closes dictating the maximum boost the turbo produces. Is this what you were on about?
{/quote]
Compressor map - brief explanation here

Yes an ECU does control ignition and fuelling, besides boost control. There is more to the compressor map than impellar design, but its part of it.
Throttle position is not the best way to map a turbo car.

[ QUOTE ]
Seizure said:
But you don't need to replace the internals unless your pushing 400bhp ish. This was just to make the 1.8T guys on the forum aware that they too could have a 360 – 380bhp output without a massive engine out and rebuild job. In fact JabbaSport have an A3 1.8T Quattro of their own ready to go under the knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected then, Im surpised the internals can take 350bhp/350lb/ft the rods in particular are very small.

[ QUOTE ]
Seizure said:
I think that would be a good idea. Or you could just ring them on: 01733 211779. I just have and everything I've written above, they confirmed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I already emailed them, asking if they'd like to give us the low down on their conversions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm even more intrigued now...

I only spoke to them last week, and was so impressed with Mike's knowledge, I've already booked in for a remap. I also spoke to them about the 360bhp upgrade and was quoted approx. £3500. For an upgrade similair you'd pay £7000+ with MTM!! They've still got the Seat Cupra there which I'll be testing to see if I really want to part with the money! (The other thing would be explaining it to my insurance company!!), but would be good fun waving away 911's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I seem to remember a Golf Rallye they had with a 1.8t engine running at around 400bhp.

I must also say; it's rare you get a company it the car tuning trade that are actually that friendly!

I'll let everyone know how I get on with the remap and perhaps scan and post the dyno plot.

Still waiting for Jabbasport to get their 4wd rolling road in order. As soon as they have; I'll be down there!

The Ibiza they have done (for a customer, who frequents a lot of the circuits - so watch out!) is pushing ~350bhp. They leave the internals alone. The only 1.8t I have heard that went bang was a poster on vwvortex who was pushing ~450bhp.

[ QUOTE ]
DaveP said:
The only 1.8t I have heard that went bang was a poster on vwvortex who was pushing ~450bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

a Jabbasport car? Even if so, I dont think 450 bhp blowing would surprise me whoever did it

Also when I spoke to Jabba on Friday i said about the RR and they didnt indicate it didnt work or anything...

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
[iDuncS3 said:[/i]
a Jabbasport car? Even if so, I dont think 450 bhp blowing would surprise me whoever did it

[/ QUOTE ]

doubt it, Vortex is a US based site, not many of us on there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
a Jabbasport car?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. A vwvortex poster.

yeah.... me too!

Oh... I also complained that I'll have to drive around in an 80mpg A2 for a couple of days, was told they'd sort me something nice... wonder what it'll be??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

From bad to worse to okay....

Audi couldn't find ANY problems with the boost on my car and run every diagnostic check that they could, and to be honest I didn't notice any problems when driving the car. My only assumption is that Jabba just had problems mapping it! Has anyone had this problem??

I don't really want to risk taking a whole day off work again, travelling another hour and a half to Jabba if they have the same problems, so i've booked into AMD - Which is not a bad thing!

My only reason to going to Jabba to start with was because of the value of the 360bhp upgrade. Looks like now I'll just have to suffice with the standard AMD remap as AMD want too much monney for the BIG upgrade! I've read some good things on the AMD remap though, so should still be very good fun!

Booked in for this Friday, will let you all know of results.

Dan,

Sorry to hear the Jabba is a no-go. I honestly thought you were going to be the first guy on here to get above 300bhp.

What year is your car? Did they say anything about the problems remapping it?

AL

[ QUOTE ]
dans3 said:
From bad to worse to okay....

Audi couldn't find ANY problems with the boost on my car and run every diagnostic check that they could, and to be honest I didn't notice any problems when driving the car. My only assumption is that Jabba just had problems mapping it! Has anyone had this problem??

I don't really want to risk taking a whole day off work again, travelling another hour and a half to Jabba if they have the same problems, so i've booked into AMD - Which is not a bad thing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Jabba check the car before the remap for running and fault codes? If they didn't, they should of done!