yellow dots on certain bolts

Boxxer1973

Reaction score
just a little concern but does anybody else have like yellow marks on certain bolts ?

so far ive found some on
slam pannel bolts ,inside strutbrace bolts, engine mount bolts, abs pipes , and fusebox bolts is this normal ?

id guess it would be some sort of production thing..... theres no other reason its likely to be - that i can think of

pics here

DSCF0893.jpg

DSCF0894.jpg

DSCF0895.jpg

I think its to do with some sort of checklist to say that it has been done/checked and tightened before release, or something along those lines.

Yup, nowt to worry about mate. They are factory marked to ensure everything is tightened properly. Had a mate recently who asked the very same question about some white dots he found everywhere on his Ford Galaxy!

Ha Ha you thought your car had been produced at a breakers yard didnt you? dont worry they all have them.

The dots cross over the head and surrounding area. Its so that if they move you can easily see as the dots won't line up. There is a name for it but can't remember. Its probably used in the factory quality control process. I think TVRs, and lotus use it inbetween services; part of the TVR service is to tighten the bolts holding the car together in case they've shaken loose.

Ha Ha you thought your car had been produced at a breakers yard didnt you? dont worry they all have them.

yep panicked a bit thought it might have been a reshel or something came out all clear on hpi but still had a niggle

Believe it or not, its not actually to signify that the bolts have been tampered with, in most cases its what we call a poke-yoke (preventing potential failure) or just a mere visual indicator to show that the bolt has been fitted and torqued down, normally for the next operator to visually inspect it quicker!

Your right its a build in the production process, and a lot of manufacturers use it now as visual indicators!