Chris NottAH Fabrications
    Audi OCD

Status

Sump Removal ...Anyone done it?

Started to remove my sump today but got stuck trying to get out the last 2 bolts - the 2 nearest the gearbox. The trouble is that they are around a corner so difficult to reach with a regular socket set, I have a 1/4 set and a 3/8 set but the universal joints are to big to fit in the space.
    Anyone got any advice or recommend a good tool (preferably from Halfords as everywhere else is closed now)?

Engine's an AGU, Cheers

Si
    Last edited by lucksta; 21st June 2009 at 12:37.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    If you turn the engine over till the cut outs in the flywheel line up with the bolts, the regular 10mm socket you used for the rest will do the job just fine

Audi OCD

Status
    Thanks Mark, unfortunately there are no cut outs in mine (turned it over a few times to make sure). It's a tricky one, I think I just need to get hold of a serious wobble bar - needs about 30 degrees, Halfords have failed me!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Have you not got a std flywheel then? All i have seen are equiped with the cutouts on the back side of the FW for access to the last remaining bolts. ODD !!

Audi OCD

Status
    As far as I know it's standard, I've cranked it all the way around whilst feeling it with my finger but it's the same except for 2 holes drilled into the side that I think are for alignment but don't give anymore access to the bolts.
    I can see the bolts, but they're tucked back so have to reach them on an angle. My car is a 1999 1.8T with an AGU engine, not sure what the gearbox is - is there a stamp somewhere to identify it?

Audi OCD

Status
    I think maybe you're right Mark about the flywheel not being standard, there's definately no access cut outs and after looking through many pictures I can't see one that looks like mine (from the limited view). I know the previous owner had a new clutch fitted so maybe the flywheel was changed then too? Anyway, it looks like I'd have to take the gearbox off to get at those bolts so I think this time I'm beaten and will have to resort to getting the sump helicoiled ...balls!

Anyone want a brand new sump (non oil level sender) 50 plus postage?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Are the bolts standard ones? If so don't they have 5mm hex in them too so you could maybe use a long ball ended allen key or allen bit ?

Audi OCD

Status
    Yeah they are like you say but I couldn't get anything to fit round the corner. I'll go see my mechanic mate this week and check out his Snap-ons, in the mean time I'm gonna have to fill her back up with oil. Thanks Mark for your help and suggestions.

...Watching you!

Status
    Ive done this numerous times... First time you do it its a pain in the butt, but once you figure it out, its a piece of cake. You need a universal joint, a 10mm socket, or hex key head, 3/8" socket and an extension. This way you can get the socket over the bolt perfectly, and still apply enough torque to loosen it without rounding the head.

Getting it back in is a little more tricky in terms on linging it up .etc, but perfectly do-able.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Univers...9&category=680

Good luck
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

Audi OCD

Status
    Hi Rich thanks for your advice, the universal joints I have dont fit in the space between the bolt and the inside of the flywheel, I tried a 1/4" set and a 3/8" set but neither would fit in there. Can you shed any light on the cutout situation? Like Mark (and others have said) there should be cutouts on the flywheel but my one definately doesn't have them.

I need a seriously shallow socket head and uni. joint to do this - especially because as the bolt comes out the space will be even more reduced.

Cheers