RX8 instead of S3

Mike.M

Reaction score
Thinking of getting an RX8 as I kind of like them, since seeing a Mazda display in town at the weekend.

Need to test drive one to compare to the S3, but not 100% sure..........but its growing on me!

What are your opinions?

Lovely looking car, but I think you might miss the torque of the S3.

Dont like them sorry.. I Think the look will date very fast.

Just my 2p.

Rich.

Dont sound good (not that the S3 does either, but this sounds worse!), doesnt look particularly nice and rotory engines are expensive to maintain.

They cant really beat the twin turbo's RX-7 now can they! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

True......two of my friends have the RX7's and they are off the road more than on it.

A friend at my workplace is a Mazda RX-7 fanatic, and has a RX-7. He has also bought a new RX-8.
He much more prefers the old RX-7 compared to the new RX-8.
He reckons it looks good but does not perform as well as the old RX7, he is quite disappointed with it.

Expensive to maintain too, then again all jap cars are. More so because it is Rotary.

Pal

They seem to have sod all torque for what is supposed to be a sporty car. Haven't driven on so can't comment on what they actually go like but the figures look like you would need to thrash the nuts off it to make it move quickly.

I went in a firends a few weeks ago, great through the twisties but we then got to a hill and oh dear no torque what so ever. They are nice tho very well screwed together but if it were me I'd look elsewhere. All you can do is test drive one though.

I had a look at one when they first came out. The interior build quality isn't a patch on my S3, and the boot ia a really odd shape.

Dan

I test drove the RX-8 a few weeks back and was very dissapointed with it! The interior build quality wasn't as good as Mazda claims it is and doesn't match Audi at all! The car handled pretty well and the ride quality was very good for 18inch wheels! But there was no torque at all and when you expect the 230BHP to provide some kick, you're very mistaken! All that power is high up in the rev range and by then every car on the road has overtaken you at the lights!!

I like having the power lower down in the rev range like on the S3 and don't like having to work the engine too much - a factor which contributes to a very poor mpg of around 20-24, and even lower depending on how you drive! Plus you have to top up the engine oil every 1000miles - far too much maintenance compared with a conventional engine!

Also, almost everything you get as standard on an A3 you pay extra as an option for the RX-8! Like no spare tyre or gas-strut supports for the bonnet! The boot space it tiny too!

For better performace and a better sounding engine go for the 350X but don't expect to get more than a golf bag in the boot and say goodbye to your back seat passengers who won't even get a look in! The styling will date quicker than a Ford and I would rather stick to Audi than waste £22K on something which is more gimmick than quality!

Just my views though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DValve1 - I could not put it better myself. I took an RX8 out for a test drive when they came out back in March. Inside the car was err....different,and no comparison to the Audi, but at 6'6" I need legroom, which is why I love my S3.

[ QUOTE ]
DValve1 said:
Dont forget guys. An Rx8 will always be a mazda... a 350Z will always be a Nissan... The S3 will always be an Audi!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute Genius /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif thanks for letting us know..
A skyline is also always gonna be a nissan too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I personally love the 350Z and will be purchasing one in Azure with the Nismo bodykit, Forged Z rim, GT-pack and sat-nav.
All this will take place after a 6 month spell working in Shenzhen (China).
Ignore the above if Audi release a beast of a TT/A3 that is at least on par with the Z.(better than the V6TT)
Cant see it in 7 months mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DValve1 said:
Dont forget guys. An Rx8 will always be a mazda... a 350Z will always be a Nissan... The S3 will always be an Audi!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

...and therefore the Audi will be less reliable than the japanese cars, have a poorer dealer network and be less fun to drive. Sold!

[ QUOTE ]
dbm said:
[At the end of the day, that was my main reservation on the car. I'd rather save up another 5k and buy a second hand M3 for about 30k than spend the 25k a fully equiped RX-8 would cost.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll be lucky to get a decent (i.e. well specced, good colour, low mileage and great condition) M3 for 30k, more like 35k in my experience, in which case you are looking at 10k worth of difference... and if you are spending 35k on a used BMW why not spend just another 5-6k and get a new one, but then hold on! A decent 911 996 C4 or 993 C4S is the same money and a better car than all of the above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Price is not an issue, expcially when the comparison is S3 vs Rx8. My comparison with the M3 was a superlative for the Rx-8 and not an attempt to throw it in as a 3rd option, and is by no means a "reservation" about the Mazda, far from it..

We'll, my pocket might stretch to 32-35k, but won't go to the full 40k for a new M3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Plus, as to a 'reservation' on the Mazda, there are only two reasons I don't drive an M3 now. One is that it's RWD and I need the all-weather reliabilit of AWD, and the other is the negative badge image. The over-riding one is the weather so if I ever decide to go RWD it will probably be an M3.

A Porsche is jsut too expensive to run unfortunately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
* Lots more mower

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it will do both front and back lawns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dan

POWER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif POWER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif POWER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif POWER

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dbm said:
I have a blind spot where depreciation is concerned, though I take your point.

How do you like your S4? It's at the top end of my price bracket and AWD so I have been considering it as a next step from my modified S3.

Dan

PS - my first sporty car was a 200SX - great car but undrivable on snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends how you use the car. As a very rapid grand tourer its superb, much better than the S3 (I've just been for a 3700mile jaunt around europe in it). As a drivers car on British back roads or for track use, the M3 is far better, probbably even, the S3 is far better with some careful modifications. I would make sure you take a very long test drive of the s4 before swapping from a good s3 - don't be drawn in by the power of it, because when that novetly fades (as it always will) and you want to fall back on handling you might be dissapointed.

Thanks, that was kind of the conclusion I had come to without risking the test drive (I have a nasty habit of buying cars if I drive them).

When the day comes to change my S3 I will think very carefully about it.

Dan

I doubt the RX8 will be a fast depreciator as they are virtually giving it away and if it follows the form of the MX5...
Also are porsche 996's more expensive to run than Audi 'S' models? With services every 18k or 2 years, spark plugs every 4 years, air filter every 36k and no cambelts to change.