Anti-corrosion warranty results - Please post here

had my wifes W reg a3 quattro roof rails done and the 1/4 panels too around 2 years ago at vw bodyshop in hereford,approved repair by audi,2 years on and the small little rust ring has come back in the same place on the lower half of the 1/4 panel,as i am a mechanic by trade i know that once rust of any kind get in to a panel its very/if not impossable to stop it,also have just brought a a4 avant on a 51 reg and that has small little rust circles on both the rear archs by the rear door shut lines and a few on the lower half of the back doors,think if you look hard enough on any audi,vw of this age they will all be the same,dont think a can be bothered to go though all that again just for it to come back,i was also told its a 10 year warranty on paint defects and if the car has had any paintwork on the panel that has the corrosion then audi will not do it as thats there get out cause,thats the only reason they inspect the cars with there paint depth gauge,

picked mine up againg last night,
it was dark, but from what can see, they have replaced some rain gutter/rail part, and painted, also gave the car a clean/quick mop ?
they didnt paint the roof or anything though,
only had the car from 11 ish wed, and phoned me fri 2 ish to say it was done.
will have a proper look over the work in the day light,

picked mine up againg last night,
it was dark, but from what can see, they have replaced some rain gutter/rail part, and painted, also gave the car a clean/quick mop ?
they didnt paint the roof or anything though,
only had the car from 11 ish wed, and phoned me fri 2 ish to say it was done.
will have a proper look over the work in the day light,

That does not sound good, when I had mine done last year they removed all the windows and reprayed the "A" and "C" pillars and the entire roof, they had the car for a full week and it looks spanking now and hopefully the corrosion won't reappear, yours sounds like a bit of a bodge by comparison. The corrossion on mine did not look much but clearly they did a full job on it. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this site so firstly have to say HELLO! Great site.

I've been a member of another forum since i bought my 2001 S3 in Jan 2004.

I've been advised to come on here as i'm having this same roof railing rust issue with Audi. My claim has been rejected last week because "the is no good will on the car!!" because the "damage is caused from outside in and not inside out"

I mean how much crap do they come out with?? Its all genuine paintwork as was proved by all of the readings the Audi guy took.

I need help and advice in trying to overturn the rejection and was wondering what methods i could use. I understand from this thread that details were taken of all rejected claims and resubmitted, could i still possibly benefit from this?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Further update on the repair of my 2001 A3 1.8 T Sport...

Finally got my car back after it went back to Crawley Audi/Tonbridge Coach Works after the initial poor quality of the repair (full details posted earlier in this thread). They had it for 3 weeks. Upon initial inspection it's looking spot on. Also looks like 2nd time round they did repaint the whole roof.

I need to clean it myself and get it under good light to be 100% sure I'm happy, but so far so good.

Cheers
Blake

Hi guys,

OK, so update on mine. Took it into Audi a couple of weeks back to have the boot handle looked at (2002 car, paint bubbling in two places).

Having spoken to Audi, they stated it would not be covered as it is trim (what difference does that make?!). I told them I was not happy with this, but asked them to quote. £243 was the reply. So I took this and headed off.

I was called the next day by the local VAG bodyshop asking when I was planning to get the car booked in. I told her I had no intention of booking it in, nor was I prepared to pay for it, with it being Audi's issues, contacting Director of Customer Services etc etc.

She then asked what I thought of the price and luckily I had checked with local bodyshops. I also bent the figure a small fraction :idea: and quoted £100.

She then stated that she was going to go away and see what she could do. She came back with a free part replacement (£67), and a price to pay of £82 INC VAT.

So I have gone with this and the car is now in the shop. I have also called my contact from my father's R8 paint case and he has suggested I will get a letter agreeing to a free MOT from Audi in September.

So I am still outlaying £82 for their problem, but at least I have whittled it down quite substantially!

I took mine to Plymouth Audi this morning, they have given me a 59 plate a3 s-line with 3k on the clocks (and a full tank of fuel) for the week.
They couldnt have been more helpful and Laura on service was rather tasty too.
Lets hope when i pick the s3 up on friday the works good

It seems like people are being told that it's only covered by a 10 year anti-corrosion warranty - I thought it was 12? Planning on taking my '99 A3 in soon, but don't want to come across as a bit of a knob if it is only a 10yr. Can anyone clarify?

Keefy, its definately a 12 year warranty, i know ive got a 99 S3 and had the corrosion done later part of last year, and still just under 2 years left to run on the warranty

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this site so firstly have to say HELLO! Great site.

I've been a member of another forum since i bought my 2001 S3 in Jan 2004.

I've been advised to come on here as i'm having this same roof railing rust issue with Audi. My claim has been rejected last week because "the is no good will on the car!!" because the "damage is caused from outside in and not inside out"

I mean how much crap do they come out with?? Its all genuine paintwork as was proved by all of the readings the Audi guy took.

I need help and advice in trying to overturn the rejection and was wondering what methods i could use. I understand from this thread that details were taken of all rejected claims and resubmitted, could i still possibly benefit from this?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

I'd definitively try and get a second opinion. If the garage you went to didn't submit a claim to Audi UK, then force them to or try another garage. If they did submit a claim to Audi UK then earlier on in the thread is the contact details for the relevant person within Audi UK who you should contact direct, quote this site and be polite but firm. I don't think the response you got is acceptable or applicable since this is warranty claim.

Hi,

Yes i've sent an email to Richard at Audi yesterday afternoon explaining how i was treated by the branch and what excuses they gave me for not carrying out the warranty work, especially as they should know that this is a manufacturing defect and NOT customer neglect.

The strange thing is that they also told me that this is a paintwork issue (obviously), and paintwork is only gauranteed for 3 years! :wtf:

Have not heard anything from him yet but fingers crossed.

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 2001 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Start of bubbling of the paint found on the inner edge of the passenger & driver side roof rails. Rust hadn't broken through the paint. I thought the fact I caught it early would be a good thing.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 1 week.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 6 months

DEALER APPROACHED: Peterborough Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Refused. Apparently the areas in question had been resprayed at some point.

DATE OF (attempted) CLAIM: Feb 2010

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Paint started bubbling on drivers and passenger side roof rails.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 3 weeks.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 3 months

DEALER APPROACHED: Cheshire Oaks Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Approved

Took the car there to be checked out last tuesday. The guy took some pictures, sent them off to audi, rang me back the following morning to say it had been approved. Booked it in for the repair. Dropped it off on the Saturday morning, and picked it up 1 week later (today). They send there cars to a body shop in manchester. Cant remember what its called. To be fair, from what ive seen so far im made up with the job. Colour match is spot on, no overspray or orange peel anywere. Quite impressed.mI was dreading takin the car in the 1st place coz of the ammount of people that have been refused the work, and then some of you werent happy with the job that had been done. So i went over it with a fine tooth comb when pickin it up. But very pleased with it anyway

Hi All

Just wanted to give you all a final update on the repair of my car.

Got it back after the 2nd attempt by Crawley Audi/Tonbridge Coachworks - as per my last update. Upon 1st inspection I was happy, however upon cleaning and inspecting under good light there were still issues. The main ones being sanding scratch marks around all panels joining the rear quarter panels on both sides.

It went back into Crawley Audi again this week and they had it for a further 2 days working on the problem areas with a rotary polisher. Seems to have done the trick and all looking good at the 3rd attempt!

Hopefully my saga is finally over!!

Cheers
Blake

Oh oh!!!!

I had my passenger side roof rail done about 2 years ago but when I was waxing the car yesterday there's a blister appeared on the drivers side.

Just put a call into Birmingham Audi (Solihull) and I'm waiting for a call back. I'm not expecting one though as the person on the phone didnt seem to have a clue what I wanted to talk to them about :(

Fingers crossed.

Right, I didnt get a call back from Audi so I just phoned them back. Credit to the lady on the phone I got put through to today...cars booked in for an inspection this afternoon.

Cant see them having an issue as they did the passenger side with no questions asked but we shall see.

I'll keep you updated.

T

Cars been inspected and a reports getting sent off to Audi, should know by the start of next week whats going to be done about it.

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Paint started bubbling on passenger and passenger side roof rails.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 3 weeks.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 4 years

DEALER APPROACHED: Truro Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Approved roof rails, rejected door - apparantly its a paint issue which is only covered for 3 years??

UPDATE!

Had a call from the lady at Birmingham Audi who told me that the warranty work had been approved this morning by Audi!. I only took it in a couple of days ago so I'm pretty impressed its been approved so quickly.

She's asking the body shop to contact me direct so I can get it booked in and arrange the courtesy car to use for the 3 days they need it.

So again, all approved and good service from Birmingham Audi :) Might ask the bodyshop to see if they'll do my front bumper too as its a bit stone chipped ;)

UPDATE!

Had a call from the lady at Birmingham Audi who told me that the warranty work had been approved this morning by Audi!. I only took it in a couple of days ago so I'm pretty impressed its been approved so quickly.

She's asking the body shop to contact me direct so I can get it booked in and arrange the courtesy car to use for the 3 days they need it.

So again, all approved and good service from Birmingham Audi :) Might ask the bodyshop to see if they'll do my front bumper too as its a bit stone chipped ;)

what ask them to do it on the sly? i guess theyll jsut charge audi anyway?

I'll ask for a price mate and see what happens. They're part of the listers group so it wont be F.O.C I'm sure!. But since they're mixing paint etc it'll be silly not to use whats left over I suppose!.

Cars booked in to have the work done on the 29th of March so cant complain, I even get either a VW Fox or Seat Ibiza to roll around in whilst its being done....hope its not the Fox!!

Better than the flipping A Class Merc that I had when mine went in Tom! My God what a **** box!

You can both count yourselves lucky, I had a Ford Fusion in old person brown.

hi fellas. great thread. I took mine in for an inspection at audi newcastle today, and he said that it looks like it was caused by the roof rails and therefore would not be covered (3 year warranty on trim) he has referred me to there body shop to see if its been caused by the roof rails or not. anyone had a similar scenario? what was the out come?

My boot handle was classed as trim and not covered. I harrassed them and Audi UK HO and managed to get the price down substantially.

Others have had roof rails done, so tell Audi this and state that you have the contact details of the director of customer service. Check back through the thread is the best advice I can give.

thanks for that mate. took it in today. he didnt think it was the trim causing it, but he says the paint readings were too high (190). apparently it should be 150 out the factory? anyway, he sent it away to audi, so lets wait and see.

sorry im late on this one chaps

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Paint started bubbling on passenger and passenger side roof rails - rear boot trim

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 2 weeks.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 2 years

DEALER APPROACHED:Peter Gilders Audi Sheffield

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: knocked back roof rails as the micrometer readings increased slightly over the Audi recommended paint depth on the edge (always going to show thick paint than a straight panel) - boot trim refused apparantly it is only covered for 3 years??

DATE OF (attempted) CLAIM: Dec 2008

our A3 also has this issue for which i will be approaching Audi shortly

SHould of taken both at same time and said look....its THAT common. Fix it!

prob will do mate, the last visit the chap who tested mine was a stand in and obviously didnt know how to use a micrometer properly..... good suggestion ;)

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 2001 A3
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Paint started bubbling roof and rails.
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 2 weeks.
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 4 months
DEALER APPROACHED: Newcastle Audi
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Approved
DATE OF (attempted) CLAIM: Mar 2010

Got mine approved even though the paint was apparently too thick. so if anyone has been rejected for paint being too thick (209 Max).

Just confirmed mine with the body shop for Monday and its all going ahead :)

Not too happy about having to insure the courtesy car on my policy though (at my expence) but hey ho. Its only £30 but at least the cars getting done. Oh and its a 10 plate Ipiza not a VW Fox as first anticipated :)

Car is now there! Got my racing ibiza for a few days :)

What's the situation on service history these days for corrosion warranty claims? got a mate who is a paint sprayer for local vag garage and he reckons i've got no chance without full history (which should include the paint inspection)? the car (2001 A6) needs a few bits here and there and this mate was going to do the work but if i can get audi to pay for it (some of) all the better.:zen:

I had mine done by Stanstead Audi a few weeks ago After contacting Richard directly. It took a couple of months for it to be signed off (Christmas got in the way). They had my car for three weeks and two days while they did both roof rails and gave me a rather nice A6 as a cover car. They apparently were not happy with the first attempt and so sent it back to the body shop. I have it back now and the quality is fantastic, I was very impressed with the work and Audi customer service - thanks to this site for getting Audi UK onside.

Chris

I spotted a couple of A3's in the bodyshop with roof work being done so I'm guessing they do a fair few.

Roll on Thursday when I get my car back....I miss horse power as the Ibizas sooooooo slow.

went up to Audi Southend today for them to inspect the roof rail that is startingt ot bubble now and he wouldnt take pictures end of, wasnt impressed by the person dealing with the warrenty work who tried to give me all the spill etc, he took readings of around 130 in the area etc. so went home and rang Audi UK to ask about the corect procedure and was advised to go back and make him take photos. i got the feeling it was because it was raining, but the guy on the phone said theyshould of taken it into the garage to look at it in the first place.

think ill contact richard at audi Uk and speak to him first, before going back thursday

Each time mines been in its been taken into the workshop so its under decent lights and not getting rained on etc..... which you would think is common sense when looking at a paint issue.

Due to collect mine tomorrow lunch time.... fingers crossed its all OK.

went back to audi today and saw the same bloke again and told him that i had spoke to Audi Uk and funnily enough he couldnt be more helpful and took it inside and took pictures and gave me a copy of the report he was sending aswell ill await the news.

i also went to a private bodyshop for a quote and they also confirmed that it was rust so gonna push to get it sorted by audi now