Anti-corrosion warranty results - Please post here

Arm yourself with the terms and conditions because it seems most dealers try and reject it on the basis of incomplete/lack of service history.

Thanks for the quick responses and Aaron thanks for the PM, most appreciated. Will be giving this a go this weekend!

theres nothing you can do to stop a dealer thats going to reject, i and others have experience of this...then proceeded to Audi UK direct, then via the email address above which eventually got my car booked in

I picked the car up yesterday and I must say that Manchester Audi / Car Cosmetics have done an excellent job with the paintwork - it looks like a new car again. It was good to find out about the origin of the bubbles in the paint not being through rust as it restores some faith in the galvanised protection and it was fortuatous that re-painting the roof also covered repair to the lower quarters. It's certainly worth making a claim for things like this rather than presuming it won't be covered. If part of the claim is covered the contribution you need to add for part that isn't may not be that great - so a fair result I think. Oh, and it's nice to get back into a car with a real hand brake again too! :sm4:

Last edited:
HOME TOWN - Plymouth
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - A3 1.6 Sport 1999
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Corrosion on drivers side roof rail
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 1-2weeks
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 1 year
DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Plymouth
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - They took photos and said they would process it but "it may take a while"! That was a couple of months ago - on hold to their service department now!! I fear the worst as I think someone has had the rear arch resprayed and expect they would try and clain it as the same panel as someone above mentionned a stipulation that the entire panel be original!!
REASON FOR REFUSAL - Expecting the above reason!!
DATE OF CLAIM - August 2010

HOME TOWN - Shoreham
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - S3 1999 Silver
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Corrosion on both roof rail
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - Instant
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 3 Weeks
DEALER APPROACHED - Caffyns Audi, Worthing, Sussex
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - They took photos and paint depths which were sent to Audi UK. Just had voicemail left by warranty manager at Caffyns saying that the Audi are willing to pay 70% of the work required. Manager said to pop in and discuss the matter further.
REASON FOR REFUSAL - Kind of approved
DATE OF CLAIM - November 2010

What should I do now? as saying they will pay 70% is as good as saying they are guilty in my eyes!
Cheers

Alex

Had my Passenger Roof Rail done by Bristol Audi under Warranty, thanks to this thread.

Unfortunately its now back with them as of yesterday due to the corrosion returning in the Same Place! This is only 11 Month's on. Dont forget to check the rails from time to time...just in case!

HOME TOWN - Shoreham
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - They took photos and paint depths which were sent to Audi UK. Just had voicemail left by warranty manager at Caffyns saying that the Audi are willing to pay 70% of the work required. Manager said to pop in and discuss the matter further.

What should I do now? as saying they will pay 70% is as good as saying they are guilty in my eyes!
Cheers

Alex
You have PM.

HOME TOWN - Shoreham

Cheers

Alex

Crawley Audi said the same to me 1st time round. Don't accept it and push for 100%. Contact Audi UK if necessary. Details in previous pages of this thread.

HOME TOWN - Milton Keynes
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL - 2000 Audi A3
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Bubbling on passenger roof rail
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 3 months
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 11 months
DEALER APPROACHED - Wayside Audi bodyshop, Milton Keynes
OUTCOME (REFUSED) - REFUSED
REASON FOR REFUSAL - Car had been resprayed before. Had depths of 240+. No record can be found of my car according to audi UK of it ever being done before. Although apparently they have never found any record of anything being done ever though there is service history from audi in my books.. being a total pain in the ****!

Last edited:
HOME TOWN - Milton Keynes
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL - 2000 Audi A3
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Bubbling on passenger roof rail
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 3 months
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 11 months
DEALER APPROACHED - Wayside Audi bodyshop, Milton Keynes
OUTCOME (REFUSED) - REFUSED
REASON FOR REFUSAL - Car had been resprayed before. Had depths of 240+. No record can be found of my car according to audi UK of it ever being done before. Although apparently they have never found any record of anything being done ever though there is service history from audi in my books.. being a total pain in the ****!
Try another dealer. Brighton refused me because mine had supposedly been sprayed, went to Crawley and the body guy is only there one morning a week and Worthing accepted mine after a long battle with them after they initially refused it.

Really, measuring paint depths is no way to presume a car has had a dodgey paint job. Firstly, a car can be resprayed in the factory because of accidental damage on the assembly line or a visible defect - there won't be any record of that! And also if an Audi dealer, using approved processes, fixed your car under warranty for a previous owner, will a record be taken and will it be divulged later? In my experience you only get paperwork for a warranty/goodwill repair if you pay £1 towards it and then get a receipt (gives you extra warranty) - will that get passed on? - Otherwise who would ever know or tell you?

cheers chaps ill try northampton instead!

edit: just phoned northampton and im booked in next monday for an inspection. no paint depths this time shes just gonna the warrenty lady will take some photos and send them to somebody i cant remember who lol then they will decide. if approved courtesy car and all the rest will be arranged :)

FINGERS CROSSED! :ermm:

Last edited:
I went to the Cornwall audi for bubbling on both sides of the roof. They took photos and measured paint depth and sent off the details and got back to me saying they could cover 70% of the cost and I would have to pay the remaining £270. Whats that about? Isnt it simply under warranty? Anyone know of a way to at least prevent the bubbling from getting any worse?

Just go to the last page in the thread and email the head of audi UK service, my dealer or audi UK couldnt help fully until i followed the instructions and emailed this chap - get reading!!

I went to the Cornwall audi for bubbling on both sides of the roof. They took photos and measured paint depth and sent off the details and got back to me saying they could cover 70% of the cost and I would have to pay the remaining £270. Whats that about? Isnt it simply under warranty? Anyone know of a way to at least prevent the bubbling from getting any worse?
My dealer said Audi UK offered me the same deal and that there was nothing more he could do. He said he fought my corner hard to get that offer out of them, they wanted to refuse it first time round (aparantly)
As suggested by 1animal1 I would send a letter to Richard Starkey, there is a guide and contact address on page 3 of this thread.
I sent mine yesterday so will eagerly await the reply.
Goodluck!
Alex

Mine was refused by Crawley Audi because the roofrail bubbling has started from the surface down rather than the bottom up?
sounds like a crock to me, off to Brighton I go!

The dealers send the request to Audi UK but this is entirely different to you going to Audi UK direct....its all about whos budget this comes from. My dealer refused after putting together a case, then Audi UK offered half, then the head 'of' cleared it for full warranty......

Then to show another further inconsistancy, i took my misus A3 in to be cheeky knowing full well it had had a full respray and this has been assured work under warranty. There is no pattern, although i am not complaining naturally.

hi
ihave the same Bubbling on the roof gutters of my b6 a4 saloon.My inital claim was partially rejected as the defect was not caused by perforation of panel.I was offered 70% as a good will gesture as I have a full Audi service history.However ,reading pevious posts,I will be e-mailing Richard Srarkey at Audi Uk Richard.starkey@audi.co.uk. Will let you know how I get on.

Last edited:
mines just gone in this morning :(

on the plus side i have a spanking new A4 S line to drive around in :) woot woot

haha luckily i had an XC90 and Insignia to drive over recent weeks so got used to it...although the Audi does allow release without touching the brake if your seat belts on....it is weird though

I definitely prefer a proper handbrake. The motorised contraption is more to go wrong, you need a computer to change the pads and isn't progressive - if you use it in an emergency or something catches it - it's full on! I also found on the odd occasion it wouldn't release with me almost dragging the rear of the car along embarrassingly in an effort to move off. Most of the time it would start off automatically no problem and I couldn't work out why it was different on the odd occasion.
I think it had a "when people are looking" sensor :blush:

yup i think im starting to agree with you....although i seem to be having more of an issue getting the thing started with the new style keys, it asks to press the clutch but nothing happens, if you press the key sometimes it starts and sometimes it switches off entirely, i cant work the damned thing out...and im normally good with this sort of stuff :/

Yup. Too much needless complexity driven by car and component manufacturers trying to keep a differential between them and far east manufacturers who can beat them on price making the older technology items.

i ended up stuck in the road yesterday having stalled it emabrrassingly :) couldnt get it started for a good 3-4 minutes!!! i've worked out that you need your foot on the clutch to get it started as the key is entered but there is a time lapse between ltting it start again booo

i love the car and would have one in a heart beat, day 2 though i am starting to miss my power :(

photos were taken of the bubbling on my roof yesterday at northampton audi. just waiting on the warrenty department now.

Has anyone heard back following an e-mail to Richard Starkey? Sent my e-mail about 2 weeks ago now and havent heard anything back yet. Is it a case of re-sending the e-mails?

Thanks

Alex

Last edited:
HOME TOWN - Chipping Norton
YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - A3 1.9 TDi Sport 2001
DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Corrosion on both side roof rails and roof
TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - Same day
HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 3.5 years
DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Swindon
OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Warranty man inspected car and used the excuse of the car having a respray to not even send photos off to Audi UK. Wanted a second opinion and went to Volkswagen-approved bodyshop recommended by warranty guy. Technician at the bodyshop used a paint-depth indicator on the roof and rest of the car and confirmed that the roof had not been resprayed.

Audi warranty guy took photos and 'sent them off' (presumably to Audi UK) to be authorised. In the meantime I was having my rear bumper repaired (someone reversed into me) and out of interest had the roof inspected by the bodyshop. Both technicians (over 30 years in the trade each) confirmed that it was corrosion.

Audi warranty guy rang back the next week to say that the claim had been refused and that because the vehicle had not been serviced by Audi over the last 40k miles it would not be covered under 'goodwill'.

REASON FOR REFUSAL - Not having been serviced at Audi for whole of the lifetime.

contact the chap from Audi UK.....it doesn't need to be serviced by Audi for it to be elegible...hes fobbing you off, id wack a complaint against that dealer too whilst i'm at it

Took mine in to Audi Plymouth Friday before last to have the paint depth checked. I was sure part of the rear wing had been re-sprayed and blended halfway up the quarterlight. The Warranty guy confimed this for me but this wasnt where he needed measurements from (made sure he didnt take photos of thsoe readings!). The car has full Audi service history for all 101K miles over the last 11 and half years (just crept inside the warranty period!!!). Just awaiting a decision from Audi (think I will ring today!).

Just wanted to say I too was told that, if approved, Audi are saying they will only cover 70% of the cost across the board, but that he will always try to get the rest covered under 'good-will' but couldnt promise anything!

He also happened to mention that they don't have their own bodyshop so use an approved bodyshop - bet that means I get a rubbish courtesy car as opposed to an S-line etc etc! :(

ok i got a REFUSAL from audi after argueing with just about everyone they decided to take more photos and send it back to AUDI UK it was refused again by audi uk who keep saying its a paint defect! its not its ****** rust!

im starting to get really ****** off now as the warrenty department is 5 mins from my house but theyre not customer facing as they keep telling me and wont look at it in person for me to prove the fact. They really dont wanna do it i dunno why they are being twats.

i phoned audi uk again and they said they will contact the dealership as they (dealership peeps) told me they thought it was dead set corrosion and not a paint defect themselves. Just waiting on a call back from the customer care manager now at audi uk after they speak to the dealership.

Any suggestion what i do next? (apart from just wait)

audi keep magically losing my details are being complete C*NTS! at the moment. Someone is supposed to be calling me before 12 today so well see i guess but ive heard that 4 times no with no response..

audi keep magically losing my details are being complete C*NTS! at the moment. Someone is supposed to be calling me before 12 today so well see i guess but ive heard that 4 times no with no response..
If it still doesn't work try another dealer. I had to after one flat out refused me, and even then I had to fight with Worthing for over a month and phonecalls that were never answered. In the end I went in and spoke to the warranty manager at the dealer, and threatened to inform Audi UK of their complete lack of customer service.

To be fair though, once they did accept the work was done in three days, I had a free brand new A3 1.4T courtesy car which they delivered to me and were great. But it was such a hassle getting to that stage.

well they refused me again so ive email richard starkey as they keep saying it s apaint defect. awaiting to here what he has to say now. anyone know what kinda turnaround he has normally in getting out a response?

ive tried 2 places now

^^^Took me about 2-3 weeks to get a response and eventually got a call from a lady at Audi UK who said she was dealing with any e-mails regarding this issue.

Had to give them lots of details and she has opened an enquiry case for me.

Her details are at my work and I will not going back in until Monday. Drop me a PM and I will give you her name, number and extension.

My case is still being investigated further by the way.

Alex

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 2000 Ming Blue S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling on both roof rails, and small (tiny) patch on rear arches

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 1-2 weeks

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 2 months

DEALER APPROACHED: Blade Audi- Gloucester

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Refused. Was told that they could not tell if the rust on the rails was pushed in by me and that it had been left too long. As for the arches, left too long and my offside had been resprayed.
This would be the 2nd time ive taken it to a dealership... Tried the one near Bath a while ago and was told to go to the one nearest me!:banghead:

Last edited:
I'm just about ready to give up i received the following from Richard Starkey:

Dear David

Thanks for your note, I understand that we have inspected your car on two occasions and both times the same conclusion was reached – that the nature of the issue was a defect with the paint. Given that our paint warranty extends for three years, you claim has been rejected on this basis.

Although you may not agree, I must defer to the expertise of our warranty team who have reviewed your claims and stand by their evaluation.

I am sorry that this is not the response that you were hoping for.

Kind Regards

Richard
Richard Starkey
Customer Care Manager
Audi UK

HOME TOWN- Southampton, UK

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL- 2001 Audi S3 8L

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND- Very, very minor bubbles on both roof rails & Bubbling around the offside rear arch/quarter.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT- a good few weeks after buying the car.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME- 4 weeks

DEALER APPROACHED- Southampton Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED)- Approved rear arch/quarter & refused roof rails

REASON FOR REFUSAL- Initially they refused all the work as they classed them as 'paint defects' which is only covered for three years. I argued my case and then they started going into the fact i do not have full Audi service history etc. Over the last 6 months i have been arguing my case and eventually got audi UK directly involved and recently got the rear arch approved but they will only pay a 70% goodwill contribuation :thumbsup: The audi bodyshop called me today to inform me of how much this would be, i anticipated a few hundred quid, actually...£68.50 haha :yes:

I'm going down to the bodyshop on Monday to speak to the guys so they can asess it further and to make sure they are replacing the quarter or atleast cutting out the rust rather than filling it.

I will also be getting them to paint the front/rear bumpers, drivers side skirt and passenger door which should them make my Imola S3 'Showroom standard' :p

Last edited: