Do all S3's do this?

ghost.s3

Reaction score
Hey there - so I've had the S3 for a couple of months and I'm starting to notice certain things that I hadn't just after getting the car.

My suspension seems really stiff - which I imagine is the case with all S3's - although I've never driven any others. There are a few dash rattles when going over even relatively small bumps - do all of them do this? The suspension has been checked when doing wheel alignment and roadworthy test (our MOT in SA) and when it was serviced - and all was fine. The car just seems to dislike any roads that aren't very smooth. It doesn't affect the handling at all, just seems to hit bumps hard.

Also, never had a car with 17's on before (coming from a fiesta and an a3) - so I guess this adds to the bumpiness and road noise. Do all S3's do this, or is it just mine?

Oh, and the front part of my passanger seat (recaro) has come loose - the bit that rests just under you knees when you're sitting. When I slide it out, there are two metal shafts with recesses that looks like they're supposed to catch onto something. Anyone know of a good way of securing this without having to strip the seat?
Thanks

The S3 factory suspension is anything but firm, it's reall soft actually.

As for noises from the dash, there shouldn't be any, it should be relatively squeak free.

maybe the heat causes the rattles as your will be subjected to greater heat than ours in the uk.

It is possible that yours also has different suspension but the std uk S3 is soft. Or it could have had new suspension fitted at some stage????

17`s should give a smooth ride, try 19`s lol they bang a bit.

Oh, and the front part of my passenger seat (recaro) has come loose - the bit that rests just under you knees when you're sitting. When I slide it out, there are two metal shafts with recesses that looks like they're supposed to catch onto something. Anyone know of a good way of securing this without having to strip the seat?

Probably the clips which hold the seat extension in underneath the seat. They are a bit fiddly to get in right. Took me a while to get right after I'd taken my seat apart.

See section 72-133 in http://audi.lanzz.org/a3_interior.pdf for details.

You will probably have to take the seat out to get sensible access to the underside of it.

Oh, and when the seat is out of the car, don't turn the ignition on, as without the airbag connected, the dashboard light will come on, and needs resetting via vag-com.

Cheers,

My Dads 8P A3 TDi sport had firmer suspension than my S3. Not for much longer though! :eyebrows:

I'd get a 2nd opinion on the suspension and check closely for broken rear springs. Its very common.

My S3 is very frim different springs though from previous owner.
Dash rattle something may be loose

Cool ,thanks will get it checked.Yup - it's very possible that the previous owner changed suspension - the car is still standard height though. The dash doesn't really sound like something loose to me - sounds just like the creak of the plastic material, if that makes any sense.Anyway, thanks guys. Will get my springs checked.Enjoy the rugby tomorrow, can't wait!Cheers

i have a new S3 and i have the same problem. Noise in the right front. Near from the wheel.
i don;t now what it is and i need help. I/m from Argentina, sory dor my english

The S3 factory suspension is anything but firm, it's reall soft actually.

As for noises from the dash, there shouldn't be any, it should be relatively squeak free.

The folks have a new audi a3 2.0tfsi and everytime my dad drives mine he always says how firm a rie it is, says their's has no feeling to it but mine you really have to concentrate to drive it :search:

How old is it? could be just that the shocks are worn and not doing thier job too well anymore.