S3 vs. Corsa VXR, M3(all models) & R6 :)

Essflee

Reaction score
Came across one of these this morning on the way home from work, was interested to see how they went, the driver of the Corsa obviously had the same idea about mine :)

We both went for it comming on to a dual carriage way off a round about in third ( well I was )...

Initially the corsa pulled equally well but as the revs climbed and 4th was grabbed, it was bye bye :arco:

The fact mines remapped helped though, if it wasn't it would of been close...

I like these little tests! Quick little cars those things.

Came across an std S3 the other day and was quite supprised how much faster mine was from 1st gear onwards. He wasn't happy though, drove like an idiot after. Youngsters!!

I'm always intrigued about other cars, a similar thing happened last week with a new shape Civic Type R, rolling and from stand still, I'll admit it was damp, but I was shocked at how poor it was, I considered one of them once apon a time, glad I didn't now...lol there not as quick as I thought...

I like doing it at lights to men in there bmw's and that thinking im young and got a slow car, very mistaken !

Wait until you come up against a remapped Corsa VXR, it will be them laughing if the road is dry!

As an 8L owner myself, we have to accept the game has moved on, and 200BHP through the front wheels is the norm for a Hothatch! There was a time 150BHP was the norm -think A3 1.8T Sport,Mk4 Golf GTI- and the S3 is the flagship top of the range model with 210/225BHP. The figures are now around 200BHP for Hothatch(Mk5/6 Golf GTI, A3 2.0T) and 245BHP+ for the flagship model(R32, S3), so expect modern metal to give our 8L S3's a run for the money, remapped or not!

Drive safely guys. :racer:

Std s3 vs std corsa.
Corsa in a straight and the s3 just on bends and roundabouts, i know the hard way lol.

Wait until you come up against a remapped Corsa VXR, it will be them laughing if the road is dry!

As an 8L owner myself, we have to accept the game has moved on, and 200BHP through the front wheels is the norm for a Hothatch! There was a time 150BHP was the norm -think A3 1.8T Sport,Mk4 Golf GTI- and the S3 is the flagship top of the range model with 210/225BHP. The figures are now around 200BHP for Hothatch(Mk5/6 Golf GTI, A3 2.0T) and 245BHP+ for the flagship model(R32, S3), so expect modern metal to give our 8L S3's a run for the money, remapped or not!

Drive safely guys. :racer:

I agree... However I like the fun factor of people buying brand new hot hatches ie VXR's, civic Type R's, R32's etc... Even a 2.0T golf/Audi remapped (except S3 8p granted) see an older Audi and probably expect to show me a clean set of heals, when it ends up being the other way round... I'm not saying our S3's are invincible by any means, it just tends to surprise me from time to time how quick they are in reality...:) :beee:

i wouldnt like to come across a mapped corsa vxr in the dry think they weigh about the same as a tin of beans....

I know what your saying about surprised faces, had a girl in a 996 carrera right up my **** driving like a complete twit the other day so I pulled over as if to let her past floored it and I pulled about 1 car length before we both had to slow down.

I ended up next to her at a toll booth at exactly the same time about 5 mins down the road and pulled about 3 car lengths off the lights all the way to silly speeds and she wasnt gaining at all, in the end i slowed down as id wasted enough petrol by then lol and as she went past her number plate read "ALL OUT" which made me an my pal laugh...

lol love these threads. i too love the suprise look on their faces when they get smaller and smaller in my rear view. never come across a type r though.

na i always post when ive had a suprising victory..... no R32's yet taken yet in anger, there will definately be though, i can feel it in my bones :rock:

On another note, i killed a clio 182, celica gt four and red top corsa the other day:rock:

yup can confirm they will fall Dani..... clio 182 arent a patch especially if your rolling when you floor it, the GT4's are meant to be able to whoop the S3 mapped or not...yet my experiance doesnt relate to this..... never had a corsa play yet....

had a 330d BM this morning, focus 180 (totalled) and an RX8 recently (played with 3 now and neither done anything to cause worry)

So glad i didnt buy a clio 182 now :).

Btw tim my oil catch tank's come today, had alittle play with placeing it in the engine bay but was raining but my god its an unbelievably tight fit :ohmy:

Clio 182/197 and Civic Type Rs (old and new shape) are easy fodder for a mapped S3. Ive never come up against a VXR Corsa. I had a VXR Vectra up my chuff today though. I went down to 3rd and spooled off, but he didnt follow. He just liked driving close to my bumper it would seem.

Focus STs are an interesting one for me. Even though there are millions on the road, Ive still not found myself alongside one on a worthy road.

182's are good fun but they lack grunt I found. My mates got one, its a blast to drive but not as fast as I thought it would be. Good fun though.

yup my experiance of focus St's is that they heat soak very quickly, best chance i had is when he booted it off the lights (i didnt as had dog in boot).....the next stretch of bypass we hit rolling from 20mph i sat behind and smelt the fumes from him florring it, i did the same and sailed it....wouldnt like to touch a mapped one...they meant to do 13.5-14 quarters mapped so not a million mile off

Dani, did you look to mount it on the side of the battery box? thats the eaiest from what i can see and leaves loads of space

St's arnt anything, one was about 5-6 cars length in fron the other day and i was constantly closing the gap until we ran out of road!

A vectra vxr would kill a st'd s3 on the straight!

dont be so sure dani, i played with a monaro vxr up the slip road booting off the roadabout from meadowhell..... he only just edged in front from a rolling start up that hill till we ended up in the fast lane south bound on M1

yup my experiance of focus St's is that they heat soak very quickly, best chance i had is when he booted it off the lights (i didnt as had dog in boot).....the next stretch of bypass we hit rolling from 20mph i sat behind and smelt the fumes from him florring it, i did the same and sailed it....wouldnt like to touch a mapped one...they meant to do 13.5-14 quarters mapped so not a million mile off

Dani, did you look to mount it on the side of the battery box? thats the eaiest from what i can see and leaves loads of space

Had'nt thought of there, i was placing it behind the tip next to the aircon pipe, very tight but im altering some of the pipes there anyway but still wouldn't make that much room.
So your going next to the battery box then. Think prawn put his at the front of the engine!

yeah i was thinking mount on batt box so outlet/inlet faces the engine side on, then run a 90 degree out of the engine to the tank and another 90 from the pipe that currently goes to the head also to the tank - that way that pipe is only moved 2 inch from where it was sat originally and everything else stays as is

Never, surprised about the monaro vxr been that close, would have thought he'd have left you standing but saying that i havent been in a mapped s3 yet. *Cough* hint hint *cough* :)

didnt realise that mate!!! pm me your number and we'll meet up next weekend (on stag doo this wkend)....... well i guess he must have been a crap driver, he was flooring it though, i could smell the fumes and see the puff of smoke come out of the back end (i assume he was based on that, not 100% fool proof though)

Deal.
Just had alook at some figures and its about 5.4 0-60 so it'd be all down to the driver really.

is that all..... suppose it is a very heavy car..... mid range is also a different story for most cars, actually think mid range is the S3's party piece - still shocks people, not bad for its age

Having own a CTR for a couple of years and a close friend owning the a brand new one i can vouch for how much quicker the S3 (mapped) is. The CTR is a more chuckable and sometimes more rewarding car though, gearchange, brakes, etc. The S3 is the all weather a-b choice though and so much more refined.

Any other comparisons anyone can remember?

I too have never managed to find an St to play with

I'm dying to find an M3 too just to see. As long as i don't come across my old one!!

lol, I bet on a Corsa VXR forum there all chatting about how they've been beating S3's left right and center!

probably, bit like our Focus debate that brought them lot over onto our forum and vice verser.....never did sort that track day out lol

Its all good banter!

I prefer seeing what the cars do for myself though! I miss the good old boy racing days around the local town racing other similar minded people purely to see how the cars performed.

Unfortunately it all got abit out of hand, with idiots and stolen cars!