S3 vs. Corsa VXR, M3(all models) & R6 :)

ST's are very slow in standard form, wouldnt worry too much about them.

My friends gt4 is defenately quicker off the mark than my S3. Pulls harder in first and 2nd but seems to tail off very quickly through the gears. Once rolling the S3 has the edge easily and his is 327bhp.

Im yet to have a go against my friends Silvia though. Aparently 350bhp. I think he feels the need to beat a "quick" Audi.

Dont really get many encounters, not in a rush to race joe public. Love the torque of the mapped S3 though, 4th gear from 40mph up to well over the speed limit takes no time, very impressive.

I had a play with a CTR on th motorway one day, the driver was being a bit of a spastic though.

My S3 is remapped and he was stuck to my back bumper, then as he undertook me when we hit traffic my mate said he stuck his finger up.
Then when I got past the traffic and caught him up again he couldnt pull away from me at all.

I was suprised he kept up with me at all, being as I have a mapped S3

from my experiance Effect its that intial blast you get, once heat soak start kicking in your fighting a losing battle, all i do in that situation is hold em back till i have space to pull off then boot it....no need to do it again unless hes being a total nob.....

Hey Minty, im with you on that, i dont go looking for these things but if i see someone driving like an idiot or bombing it, i tend to have a fettle if its plausable

My friends gt4 is defenately quicker off the mark than my S3. Pulls harder in first and 2nd but seems to tail off very quickly through the gears. Once rolling the S3 has the edge easily and his is 327bhp.

Must be something wrong with it if he cant loose an S3 with 327 bhp.
I hammered an S3 when i only had 300.

james ive had a similar experiance, dont know what he was running but he was definately losing..... he tried quite a few times..... have you thought that maybe you hammereed a non mapped S3?

No it was a friend of a friend's car.

I know there are some slow gt4's around but one with 327bhp will not be one of them unless there is something wrong with it.
I remember how fast mine was when it only had 330bhp,3rd and 4th gears are over in no time.

well what do you think will happen then both standard from 30mph who you think would win

Probably the VXR initially, the S3 may claw back as the speeds increased...
Not sure...

my view is that capacity + turbo genreally has the advantage....in this view we have a heavier S3 and a lighter lower capacity Corsa.... i cant see that much difference but would guess the Corsa if also mapped would take the title till the higher speeds

I'm dying to find an M3 too just to see. As long as i don't come across my old one!!
I came across a bloke I know who has an 'M' coupe on the dual carriage way, without going into to much detail he was losing me constantly, but not as quickly as I thought he would, so I was happy...

na i always post when ive had a suprising victory..... no R32's yet taken yet in anger, there will definately be though, i can feel it in my bones :rock:

A mapped S3 will beat a mkIV R32 that's for sure!
Had mine up against my mates, & it wasn't running right first time round. (turned out to be a burst wastegate diaphram)
After that was fixed & running right i started pulling away :)

Of course he had his excuses...

hate to pour water on the fire, but I got marginally whupped by a Celica GT4 a while ago. It must've been well tuned.

The S3 just aint that quick anymore compared to the latest tackle out there. It's a heavy car.

from my experiance Effect its that intial blast you get, once heat soak start kicking in your fighting a losing battle, all i do in that situation is hold em back till i have space to pull off then boot it....no need to do it again unless hes being a total nob.....

Hey Minty, im with you on that, i dont go looking for these things but if i see someone driving like an idiot or bombing it, i tend to have a fettle if its plausable

Nah no heatsoak mate, I was just assuming the CTR wasnt standard.
I am not sure how tuneable the Vtec engine is though :S

Effect, CTR engine - apparently not very upgradeable mate unless you really pour the cash into it......

Squatt, i guessed that would be the case, not heard of many standard R32's taking on mapped S3's - plus i was trying to wind 'golf' up :eyebrows:

Olly, i think your wrong, im not so sure the M3 would infact destroy the S3, i think it would pull away the higher the speeds attained, however if you took to it with a mapped S3 mid range id like to bet you'd almost keep with it for a good couple of gear changes at the very least - people have this perception that M3's are untouchanble, dont get me wrong they are quick capable cars, but they arent out of the relms of possibility....especially if they accompanied by a crap driver

I'm dying to find an M3 too just to see. As long as i don't come across my old one!!
I came across a bloke I know who has an 'M' coupe on the dual carriage way, without going into to much detail he was losing me constantly, but not as quickly as I thought he would, so I was happy...

Are you on about one of these badboys with 231bhp?

carexs.jpg

How would that fair against a mapped S3 if not?

theres only one 330ci i understand that would be able to trouble a mapped S3..... thats after looking at figure tables etc etc (when i was looking)..... ive come up against several 330 diesels and petrols and not lost yet.... most tend to bomb around as they think they have a rocket - easy targets so far for me (not so easy but you get me)

So I presume that'll be no problem? Although theres a claimed top speed of 160mph, not that I'd ever try and get anywhere near that!

thats where they come into their own i think, top end, but then like you say...your not likely to want to touch that so no biggy IMO

Black and not too sure.
Was in the south yorkshire.

There is the 185 with the pop up headlights,crap until tuned and the 205 with twin round headlights,240-255 bhp in standard trim,still wont beat a remapped S3 until modded.
Doubt it was a 165,they are all driven by old men with beards.

I think we have missed out on an important factor in the equation, and that's the driver. If you lost to a CTR mapped or not, you are clearly a SHYTE driver! :)

Mapped S3 against M3 i have tried (a colleague had an S3 mapped when i had my M3) in a straight line it was close up to 100 then the M3 had an advantage. But i think a mapped S3 is better in some circumstances. i.e out of tight corners, bumpy roads etc. M3's struggle getting their power down, which is why i wanted 4wd!

thanks Ian, some much needed confirmation there owing to the fact that nobody seems to have done exactly that.....

Are you on about one of these badboys with 231bhp?

carexs.jpg

How would that fair against a mapped S3 if not?

The 'M' coupe is a bit like a Z3 but with a solid roof and rounder at the back, it's all bonnet...nice looking car, always fancied one, has the same power plant as the M3 I believe...

ooooh yeah i know the ones..... they are very quick light cars...... not many around to start with, even less now as the back end is extremely tail happy

Olly, i think your wrong, im not so sure the M3 would infact destroy the S3, i think it would pull away the higher the speeds attained, however if you took to it with a mapped S3 mid range id like to bet you'd almost keep with it for a good couple of gear changes at the very least - people have this perception that M3's are untouchanble, dont get me wrong they are quick capable cars, but they arent out of the relms of possibility....especially if they accompanied by a crap driver

Fair point, just looked up there 0 - 60 times, I thought they were high 4 secconds, there actually 5.2/5.5! Still have no problem beating a S3, be closer than I thought though!

But I'm sure your mtm'd car would destroy an M3.:arco:

It would be close, the guy who had the car before me only had the 310 kit fitted, not the 340/350 kit for some unjknown reason! I think its basicaly a MTM hybrid K04, not a true BT. Any way, Its been running on a standard clutch which has started to slip really badly. I'm sure a metro could over take me at the moment, lol!

:banghead:

hate to pour water on the fire, but I got marginally whupped by a Celica GT4 a while ago. It must've been well tuned.

The S3 just aint that quick anymore compared to the latest tackle out there. It's a heavy car.

I disagree, you may have been beaten by a GT4 which I can believe but your talking about a car probably older than the S3...

In the S3's hey day with a remap there wasn't a lot that would keep with it, yes the game has moved on and other cars have caught up, but to say the S3 is heavy and slow is *****, cars are forever getting heavier due to safety aspects more than anything, for today the S3 remapped still holds it's own, add a bit of rain and it can take the advantage...

Stock S3 v Stock Corsa VXR same performance up to 90mph.
Friend at work has a VXR and we went out just now for lunch, both set of from lights joining the motorway and we were neck and neck up till 90mph then I steadily pulled away (not much tho) up intill I had to break for a **** in the outside lane in a fiesta zetec s....Im going for a 5 hour revo trail and will go and see the difference then...

Olly, your best reading Ian's post regarding the M3 debate...... best first hand knowledge were likely to get i reckon

I disagree, you may have been beaten by a GT4 which I can believe but your talking about a car probably older than the S3...

In the S3's hey day with a remap there wasn't a lot that would keep with it, yes the game has moved on and other cars have caught up, but to say the S3 is heavy and slow is *****, cars are forever getting heavier due to safety aspects more than anything, for today the S3 remapped still holds it's own, add a bit of rain and it can take the advantage...

Yeah fair point. I think the gt4 is older.
But a lot of the later hot hatches are front wheel only, so have a weight advantage, even with all their safety features. I.e. Focus ST, RS.
Though new Impreza is significantly heavier than the old skook ones.

Mapped S3 against M3 i have tried (a colleague had an S3 mapped when i had my M3) in a straight line it was close up to 100 then the M3 had an advantage. But i think a mapped S3 is better in some circumstances. i.e out of tight corners, bumpy roads etc. M3's struggle getting their power down, which is why i wanted 4wd!

Are we on about an E46 M3 with 343BHP out the box, 0-60 in around 4.9secs vs. a remapped S3 with 270BHP MAX, 0-60 around 5.7/5.8 secs?

I had a go against an E46 M3 Cab and it was pulling away comfortably! Engine sounded great when it was nearing the rev limiter, like a bag of spanners rattling about if you know what I mean. Different class of car if you ask me, it should be S4 vs M3, S3, in 8L form has no chance unless BT!!

Are we on about an E46 M3 with 343BHP out the box, 0-60 in around 4.9secs vs. a remapped S3 with 270BHP MAX, 0-60 around 5.7/5.8 secs?

I had a go against an E46 M3 Cab and it was pulling away comfortably! Engine sounded great when it was nearing the rev limiter, like a bag of spanners rattling about if you know what I mean. Different class of car if you ask me, it should be S4 vs M3, S3, in 8L form has no chance unless BT!!

Yes, but people must remember that 0-60 only tells half the story. On a nice dry grippy surface with a very well executed launch, the M3 flies, but add some uneven surface, abit of damp and a lead foot driver and its nowwhere. PLus the M3 does 70 in 2nd gear where the S3 needs 3rd.

Now add bumpy country lanes and dampness then the S3 is a fine A-B machine capable of staying ahead. Straight line speed the M3 has it above 100mph (where it really shines) but i don't think the S3 is as far behind as you might think.

I do find the S3 slightly less secure and confidence inspiring in some conditions, mid corner bumps etc but there's no dounting its traction. I miss the tail out action too but thats not everyones taste and i think one day it would have bit me hard as i got abit ***** with it!!

Love the S3!