LED sidelights

BobB

Reaction score
Just got some LED side lights from ebay, £7 the pair. They give a bright white light with a blue tint, a bit like HD.

Each bulb has five individual LEDs, four white and one blue.

Has anyone else tried these? Any problems?

I have got these on mine and have had no problems at all!

I have used LED sidelights for years, i did find the blue/white combo a bit too blue so i now use the bright white ones. They look very distinctive :)

i will post a pic of my bright white ones later, when its dark enough to show properly
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And to show that either are a good upgarde over standard type bulbs, and the standard ones I had were meant to be ice white/blue.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

One thing to note however, it's been my experience that they don't last as long as expected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm on my 3rd set (Blue, then UV, now White) and the first 2 sets didn't last but 6 months or so. I think it may have something to do with the heat our engines generate, but that's just my theory. I had the same problem with the White LED License plate lights. One of them went out, so when I pulled it to change it, I saw that the outer casing was bulged and misshaped due to heat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So just keep an eye on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I think they look great too but I have been told that they are really bright to other road users /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I certainly feel that the go well with the Xenons.

I tried the PIAA twin leds in the new A3, the current draw was so low that the bulb circuit decided that the bulb had blown and cut them off. Shame I thought they looked much better than the standard.

Yeah, that sucks. You can get resistors to put in-line to even out the current draw, but it's not worth it IMO.

I tried LED Blinker bulbs, and instead of cutting out, they just about TRIPLED the flash rate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
I tried the PIAA twin leds in the new A3, the current draw was so low that the bulb circuit decided that the bulb had blown and cut them off. Shame I thought they looked much better than the standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

As mentioned before, I have the 4 LED version and have no problems

Where did you get the 4 led versions from ?

Not had any mention of my car thinking a bulb had blown using the twin LEDs from PIAA. That said, I can see how it might.

I got mine off eBay for £3 delivered from Hong Kong.........along with some orange indicator LED's for £2

No probs with my cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif ones so far......2 months so far!

S3 mike im looking at getting some numberplate lights for now do u know which leds i need?

anyone drill or gammba?

Hey Costa, be careful though. The 6 led festoons I had for my plate apparently couldn't take the heat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif One went out, so when I checked it, the plastic casing around the circuit board was all mis-shaped and melted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Just something to watch out for, I can't remember what size they were, but will try to look them up tonight or tomorrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Hi,

Going back to the LED "sidelights". (Are they cool or what!)

What fitment are they? I'm confused as to whether they are H5W or H6W and how those codes relate the codes show on the UltraLed's web-site. i.e. the ones BobB has bought seem to be type: 501.

Are the "side-light" bulbs the same fitment as the "side-repeaters"?

Cheers

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

[OFF TOPIC]
Hey Al! Hows thing? havent seen you about on here for MONTHS! [/OFF TOPIC]

Rich

Thanks again Mike.

Now I'm not sure whether to go for...

- the quads (just 4 white LEDs) or..
- the six's (just 6 white LEDs) or...
- the six's super bright with blue tint

AL

The 4 white LED's I have, have a blue tint to them anyway and are quite bright......so the blue tint version would look too blue if you know what I mean (almost neon blue!)

I have had the 6 LED version on my last car and found the odd one or two LED's failing out of the 6 cluster. 4 seems to be the perfect balance at the moment I am finding

Cheers Mike.

I will take your advice I think. I had a feeling the 6 cluster might be too bright (for other road users) actually.

Do yours look much brighter than Flippers 2-LED PIAA ones? Based on his picture?

Cheers

AL

About the same I think...........quite difficult to say without having the cars side by side.

I think mine are bright enough.........pic on the other page where I posted the orange and white ones I have.

Don't suppose anyone knows if the Mk4 Golf has the same fitment for side-lights? Girlfriend wants some for her GTi Anniversary now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

Al, the side repeater LEDS work fine. I have them on the TQ and haven't had any problems with them. However when you try (as I did) to replace the forward (and rear) facing blinker bulb with an LED one, THAT's when they start flashing real fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And the sidelights, well the 4 LED white ones I have now are starting to go too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I don't think they're really made to be on constantly so long. But if others have been good to go, then more power to them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As Drill says!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But no probs with the 4 LED side lights yet

I thought it would be easy just removing the back panel of the head light and replacing the bulbs, but it's difficult to get to the bulb.
How do you go about removing the head lights?

The bulbs are a pain in the rear end to get out.

I had to move my battery to get access to the passengers side, but the other one just popped right out............weird I know

[ QUOTE ]
Rakesh said:
I thought it would be easy just removing the back panel of the head light and replacing the bulbs, but it's difficult to get to the bulb.
How do you go about removing the head lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would suggest you stay away from removing the headlights if you can and just struggle from the rear of the light unit, they do come out eventually.

Oi!! No kidding. Getting the headlights out, then back in with the front bumper removed is hard enough (Especially the RH side) but doing it with the bumper ON is a NIGHTMARE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif