Removing the drivers side air vent...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Ive Bought a air vent gauge pod for my AFR guage...
I bought the full vent kit from awesome GTI but my problem now is how the vent comes out. The new one shows no bolts or clips... all i can see are 4 things that look like they may hold the pipework to the vent... I realy need to know how to get the bloodything out !
Anybody else taken it out for any reason i would be greatfull if you could tell me how.

IIRC you may need to remove the fuse box to get to the back of the vent.

I have removed the lower dash trim and fuse box. Still can not work out how it is removed. I realy dont want to start breaking anything or marking trim that is seen.

Full vent replacement. its from awesome gti.
Looks factory to be honest. but god knows how the standard one comes out !

From the new vent it does look like it pushes in then the clips on it will hold it in but... im unsure if it clips to the ducting or the dash, I darent just pull and pull till something gives.

If you have a face lift, you need to disconnect the wires to the illuminated vent dial, then it should (with gentle assistance) prise out from the front... it is very tight so use a large flat screwdriver with someting wrapped around the end so as not to mark any thing.

I had this fun and games when I did my boost gauge however I stealthed mine behind the grille :)

<tuffty/>

I done mine by removing the slats and getting my hand in there to pull it, but as tuffty said be careful with the wires to the illuminated vent dial.

They look brilliant. I quite fancy the Liquid though as it does alot of what the vagcom does (obviously not quite as detailed!) and fits nicely in place. Very tempted

Whats this illuminated vent dial you lot are on about?

The wheel that controls how open or closed the vent is... the white marks light up red like the dash clocks and switchs

The factory tool for removing the vents is just a hook. It can be fashioned easily and make the task a breeze.

Homemade tool
06-RemovalTool.jpg

To use, insert through the vent and hook it at the rear near the top, bottom or sides and pull. You can make a pair of hooks to make things easier if required.

08-CenterVentToolPosition.jpg

07-SideVentToolPosition.jpg

I've got a load of old bike wheel spokes if anyone wants any!.

Pre facelift don't light up do they?

Also check your dash dimmer isn't too low!

HTC... your a star.
I will be trying this in the morning.

Thanks for this posting. I am going to do the same to remove the vent as there are so many sponge debris blowing off from inside the vent and making the interior really dirty. I am not sure if this scenario happens to you all and if so, how do you guys deal with that?