6 inch components in front doors

marty.blake7

Reaction score
Was wondering whether anyone has done builds to house 6 inch components in their front doors?
If so could you post some photos please.:)

There are components in the front door anyway? Why not just replace them with some high quality ones?

There are components in the front door anyway? Why not just replace them with some high quality ones?

I have already replaced the standard speakers with focal 5 inch components but they just don't compete with 6 inch speakers which give you so much more depth to the front stage due to the range they can handle. I had a golf before with 6 inch focal components in the front and I really miss the sound that I had, plus the speakers are just sat on my garage floor now:keule:they need to be fitted!

I Don't understand what difference a larger speaker in the front would make, better quality magnet sure will make a huge difference!

Bigger speaker cone means more bass? BUT the larger the speaker cone the looser the mid's and top's become........ making the sound actually become more sloppy......(If this is wrong in car audio please correct me but this is how it works in studios, and guitar amps)

Would you not be better sending more power to the rear of the car (maybe 65% fade) and then the amp will send more of the bass to the back, this would give you punchy bass in the back but nice crispy mid's and tops in the front.

Maybe if your amp isn't doing this naturally get a decent external equalizer or put filters on the front speakers (i'm pretty sure both are on the market)

(please don't judge me I'm not one to upgrade my car stereo's just part of my degree was sound engineering:music:)

Thanks for the replies people.
Just thought there may be some audio enthusiasts out there that had already done builds in their cars.
Even with the uprated speakers in the original mounts, as the standard grills were not designed for this size speaker they cut across the face of the speaker and block the sound. Plus they are facing at each other, not to a centralised point at the roof, which is what you should aim for in order to acheive a good sound stage from the front speakers.
To get the best sound in a car, IMO, you want to be getting most of the sound from the front speakers and merely 'fill' the sound with the rears. So this is why I am trying to put 6 inch in the front as the vocals are so much richer and warmer.
I might be being slightly perverse about this but I spend a fair bit of time in my car and have got used to quality sound in my previous cars:)

MArty..your best off mailing andymac....he's normally on the audio section of the forum and does some MDF adaptors that will allow you to fit these without the crappy original mounts (as i seem to rem there being clearance issues)

The main problem with the fronts on the 8L is that they're mounted to the flimsy door card which is loosely clipped to a metal door, the door has no inner skin so mounting to something solid is impossible. The second problem is space. If you still want the windows to work then you only have 50-54mm depth to play with. Custom door builds would require bringing the speaker part of the door panel out from the current position to give you the required depth. You'd then need to build a robust baffle for the speaker to mount to, and there's little to attach this to apart from the corner edge of the door skin. Not at all impossible but a lot of work. Jehnert are the best IIRC, but you're looking at £400+ just for the door board:
http://www.jehnert.de/typo3/index.php?id=131&aid=63&L=1&PHPSESSID=cead05111ac55257048b776d53457e73
Easier to go the stealth sub route and stick with 5.25" replacement components in the front. Yes it's a compromise but a ****** good one and unlike typical 10-12" subs the 6.5" JL unit does provide a surprising amount of mid bass to make up for the deficiencies from the cabin setup.
http://www.dizzythedog.com/index.php?f=data_audi_a3_stealth_sub&a=0

i've got a pair of focal utopias 5.25 to go in the fronts. got to check the depths though. linked up to my rockford HU should sound good good.