Recommended Springs/Dampers/coil overs for A3TQS

I

imported_mustwin1

I'm nearing the stage where the car will be hitting the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif (my picture tells the story) I want to sort the suspension ASAP out for around £200-£300, what makes would people recomend, how much is a decent amount to drop it by (it will have 18"s on it)? Should I just change dampers and springs? Any advice, as always, would be welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Murdoch said:
I'm nearing the stage where the car will be hitting the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif (my picture tells the story) I want to sort the suspension ASAP out for around £200-£300, what makes would people recomend, how much is a decent amount to drop it by (it will have 18"s on it)? Should I just change dampers and springs? Any advice, as always, would be welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You wont get dampers and springs for that amount of money. Looking at about £450 for a decent set of springs AND dampers.

Rich

No way Pedro!! What about springs on their own? What 'make' would you recommend. £450 way exceeds what I can spend in this department:(

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Hi Rob,

The Eibach springs and H&R are excellent! We sell the Eibachs for the price you mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]
-- Good to know, no doubt I'll be in touch as soon as I've finalised what's happening with my rims /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest you not going to be doing anything in a 1.6 which requires excellent handling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got one thing to say... "Fat bottomed girls, they make the rockin' world go round" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The money would be better saved and put towards the new car.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dare say anything I save will be gone by then, I've not had this one on the queen's highways yet and I've spent more than I care to remember on it since purchase! S3 time is a while off yet (at least a couple of years), but as we've said, with that in mind I don't really want to pour a bucket load of cash making a really good cornering, really good stopping, relatively slow car.

My main aim with this first one is to do little bits and bobs to put my 'signature' on it (which SHALL NOT be written in a crayon sponsored by max power) - and make it nice to look at and enjoyable to ride in, next time is when I do all that + make it go like the proverbial s**t off a stick.

Thanks for your thoughts bud, and like I say, as soon as I've sorted out what's happening with my wheels expect me to be in touch about springs - oh and I'll probably be ordering some of those lovely mirror-covers if you can still get your hands on them!

Regards,

Rob.

No problem mate!

Can still get them, and by that time maybe In.Pro may have caught up!

Rich

Rich just had a look at the Spotline springs, could I get away with those with 18" RS4 wheels?

[ QUOTE ]
Murdoch said:
Rich just had a look at the Spotline springs, could I get away with those with 18" RS4 wheels?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes no problem! Im running 50mmsprings with 18x8.5" RS6's. The RSTT's are only 18x8" so wont be a problem at all!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
Just accquired some H&R springs,bilstein shocks are supposed to be the best match to them i think Glenn said,if so what are the part no's for the shocks and how much not fitted.Cheers Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

The H&R springs work well...and give a pleasant drop in ride height.

Thwe Bilstein kit you want is the 'Sprintline' kit which comes with shorter dampers to complememt the shorter springs. Not sure of the part number of the kit though.
Those two together will give a decent upgrade in drivability.

You'll always suffer if you stick to the audi suspension settings...they are just to bland and 'safe'
You need to add some front end grip by adding negative camber...and if you've lowered the rear you'll need to remove some rear negative camber - which means either forge or Milltek adjustable rear arms.

Don't forget: the Bilstein dampers and H&R springs will still allow the car to roll!
Not as much as standard...but it'll still roll...and some people will perceive that as a bad thing...I don't as a car needs to roll to give feel...but it can be improved one step further...

That's the anti-roll bar atage...Neuspeed bars work...as I'm sure do R32, or several others.
The lot together absolutely transform the handling from dull-understeer into totally neutral.

Finally, you can tweak the chassis by playing with wheel size, tyre width and tyre pressures.

Hey Glen, for we "Financially Challenged" folks, what's your take on the Camber adjustment bolts?
651_x450.jpg
644_x450.jpg

Naturally the Forge Rods would be better, but for less than half the price, you can get the bolts to bring the wheels back in a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
Cheers Glenn ,i think i will go for forge arms ,they look easier to adjust and look a much stronger and thought out item.Still don't know what the hell to do with the front ,to acheive more camber.Cheers Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

Y not just fit S3 components?

Rich

I dont know... woudlndt have thought so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am not sure how much S3 stuff would be needed to acheive the adjustment that you s3 people have,if its just front wishbones and ball joints i will do it,but if diameter of balljoints and hubs fitment is different then it gets expensive.I will phone jabba and ask them what they did with their a3 quattro demo car.Glenn ,milltek arms?Cheers Andy

I priced up S3 front wishbones ,ball joints and r32 arbs,wishbones were cheaper from the stealer than from vagparts @£82.70 +v,balljoints also cheaper @£30.09+V.Arbs were front £40.86 +V,rear £53.80 +V,plus on top of that theres nuts for balljoints and bushes for arb's,not a cheap job!I think i have sourced some used wishbones,less than half price ,but still need balljoints.Arb's can wait a while .Its looks like i'm guinea pig again,i hope i can sort this out without buying to much ,then if its works and a cheaper source can be found you guys can give it a whirl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy