grinding/juddering when turning....

Audiman99

Reaction score
Sorry to start a new post i have had this problem for a while now and i cant seem to cure it. It seems to be worse at the beginning of my journey, after a while the problem isn't that bad. Anyway I get the grinding, juddering/knocking noise when turning either way which I the driver can feel through the pedals and seat but the passenger cannot feel anything, well according to the missis anyway?! I must say its fine on full lock only happens on say a half turn or less of the wheel.

Ive changed the arb bush's, wishbones, droplink's and today changed the drivers side strut mount bush and still no luck. Ive read that it may be the haldex system, anyone else had experience with this?

I need help guys its driving me insane!

Btw Ive also had a 4 wheel alignment, new tyres and a new dog bone mount fitted.

Thanks

Allan

If you think it might be the Haldex system, try pulling the fuse for it.

I dont know if this will work but it might be worth a try.

I had this issue on my old Clio 182 and it only happened when the tyre pressures got low. As you've had new tyres your pressures are probably ok but it might be worth blowing them up to say 38psi and see it they make any difference!

Also have you checked that your power steering pump is full of fluid?

Thanks guys ill check the power steering fluid, cant remember the last time i looked at it. I'm sure the tyres are fine but no harm in topping them up also.

The haldex system supposedly can be disengaged by turning off esp and having the handbrake on 1 click. I tried this and still got the noise. Ill have a look for the fuse.

Thanks

there are quite a few people around having similar problems.

I still haven't figured out the cause (and ive been looking for a year or so)

Areas that seem to cause problems (food for thought) seem to be:

- Haldex control unit (changing it seems to be the only solution = expensive)
- Haldex oil change (seems to fix the problem for some)
- Check ASB wheel sensors, sometimes they seems to malfunction and apply the brakes on individual wheels for no particular reason.
- Gremlins

Mine has been doing this for over a year, always much worse in the winter and seems to only occur on the first turn of the day when everything is cold.

Audi want me to replace everything (im sure they really would like me to buy a new car) and have told me the car will explode imminently if i dont change all the bits they recommend but a year on and im still here.

i guess one day something will break / an error code will appear that will tell me whats wrong. for now - im putting up with it.

Any help ?
:shrug:

Thanks for the post cjhill my next step will be changing the haldex oil then. Ive checked the power steering fluid and its fine. I did change a sensor under the steering column a while back and that fixed the abs light staying on constantly. How do i go about checking all the abs sensors, wont they show up a fault on vagcom normally? Such an annoying problem, want to sell car but cant see anyone buying it whilst i have this problem!