Can an engine sieze while driving it

hammondr

Reaction score
my oil and water and timing are fine but my AUDI A3 1999 1.6 will not turn over. are there any checks you can do to tell if it is siezed:sos:

can seize if you have no oil, or somethings blocking it from turning over, like a bolt or something..

Get a spanner on the crank pulley and turn it, make sure its out of gear tho.

Its more likely the starter is faulty TBH

However, how are you sure the timing is ok? As you do not seem to be very techy in your answer above

my dad told me it was ok he knows a little bit cheers for the help open to any suggestions

can your starter go faulty when the car is in motoin

Its a mechanical item, it could have gone on the last turn over, but it shouldnt cause your car to cut out.. sure you didnt stall it?

if you check all the mechanical issues you wana get it on VAGcom and see if its electrical.

will a 1999 car have a port for vagcom any idea how much it costs

Silly question - but have you checked the battery? Modern batteries work fine one minute and then won't have enough juice to turn the starter next. The battery could have enough juice in it to power everything else but not enough to fire the solenoid to kick the starter.

Also could be ignition switch? Immobiliser playing up?

Did the car cut out or just fail to start when you tried? You can easily check if its seized by putting it in 4th and slowly pushing the car with the ignition OFF. The engine should turn over slowly

just cut out when leaving junction battery is fine didn't stall it

regarding the immobilliser how would i know if it the immobiliser the alarm still goes of if i do not put the key in the ignation quick enough been like that since i got it 12 month ago

My altenator went on my r5gtt it cut out at a juction when i turned my indicator on lol, would not turn over just kept clicking but still had lights on, a little battery power maybe could be something like this mate?

cutting out feels a lot different to seizing.

a cut out will coast to a slow down,
a seize is like slamming the brakes on... and yes they can do it whilst driving.
old renault I had did it at 60mph. oil pump shaft sheared, no pressure.
60-0 like it was an emergency stop

cutting out feels a lot different to seizing.

a cut out will coast to a slow down,
a seize is like slamming the brakes on... and yes they can do it whilst driving.
old renault I had did it at 60mph. oil pump shaft sheared, no pressure.
60-0 like it was an emergency stop

it was more a gradual stop

Dude take your car to a garage.

Faulty alternator will not charge the battery properly, which in turn will drain and be unable to power the electrics to keep the car running.

How do you know that the battery is fine? did you check with a Voltmeter if there is 12V across battery terminals? Even if lights are working, there may not be enough power to run the engine. The current draw requirement from the battery is huge when starting an engine.

Do you hear a click from the engine when you try to start it?

Assuming you have checked the battery is around 12V, other possibilities are faulty starter motor (or solenoid), but this would not have caused the engine to stop while running. So, if you can rule out a seized engine (not likely, but possible, even if you have the correct oil quantity, if the oil pump fails or pickup is blocked). Did you see the oil pressure warning light up at all? For a seized engine, I would have thought you would see an oil pressure warning before it croaked.

If none of the above, then possibly electrical...so immobiliser or ECU. For this you need a VAG COM. If you don't know anybody with one, cheap option is buy an OBD2 USB cable from eBay for about £10 - £20, it should come with a shareware copy of VAG COM (you can download it also).

Just thought of another thing, might sound dumb but not sure how the immobiliser works, try using the spare key to start it.

Just checked battery it down 11.9v i think that is just becausle i keep going out to try it hoping it is going start but would it even kick over at 11.9

believe it or not, a 12v battery showing 12v is well and truly flat. you want it to be showing at least 12.9v or so to be healthy.

The gel battery in my mini shows 13.2v static, and 14.6v when the engine is running and the alternator is charging.

12 volts is flat? Are sure about this?

I think the starter should turn at 11.9v...but i'm not a mechanic so if someone knows better...

i believe my starter motor has gone 12v gone in 1.2v coming out is this bad or is correct