S3 Storage

rvision

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm moving to Dubai for a year or so so need to store my S3 03 in my garage while I'm away.

Do any of you think I should make any precautions while storing it, i.e like disconnecting the battery ect?

Thanks
Andy

Give it a good clean in and out and maybe give it a good polish, Not sure on what to do with the battery etc but beware of the tyres going scabby as it happend to my old wheels that have been sat in my garage for 10 months...

Yeah I'd read something about tyres, Ive got a brand new set of 18" Toyos so might have to put it on blocks to avoid leaving the weight on one area for that length of time.

Or buy some crappy 16-17" wheels with tyres, Dont matter what they look like because it will be in the garage and keep the Toyos in the house :)

Should you not drain all the petrol, oil, steering fluid ect and disconnect battery?

What a shame to do it. I'd be tempted to sell it on and decide in a year what to do, either buy another or try something else. Standing cars are no good!

is there no one you trust that can start it and move it round the block every couple of weeks?

Its more access as the garage is quite small so its not going to be easy to get in and out. I'm having to sell my 205 GTI to make space for the Audi that's bad enough :(

I think I'll drain most of the fuel, washer fluid, chock it up, disconnect the battery which is a sealed for life so shouldn't leak. A good clean and polish then cover with something that won't damage the paint. I'll prob be back a couple of times so I can always get it out then.

Might take the Toyos with me and sleep on them lol

Disconnecting the battery for long periods won't cause any problems for the engine management?

Need to make sure it doesnt build up moisture inside too. You can buy things to absoard it. Might have to leave leave the window down a tad? Although Im sure it will be fine in a dry place with a breathable cover.

thanks, that's a good point. damp moldy leather isn't nice!

Such good news!! I'm not going permanent for at least 6 months. I'll be location independent so away for a month at a time and then home for a bit! So no need to store the car away for a year and get to come home and have some fun!

Thanks for all the tips.. May need them sometime in the future!

What you doing here? I've lived here in Dubai a year.. We will have to meet up for a few :beerchug:..