Unlocking ECU's - Calling out owners with VAGCOM in Surrey/London area

Shy19s

Oil running through my veins.
Reaction score
As above.. people with vagcom, do you know how to 'unlock' an ECU?

If you are please PM moi..

Shy

Vagcom members.. you havnt unlocked ECUs before?

There is obviously a price to go with this.. i wouldnt expect it for free...

Anybody out there?:search:

VAG com cannot be used to unlock ECU's mate, its a software / programming issue. VAGcom can be used to match a compatable ECU with a Immo 2 dash tho.

How old is the car, and is the ECU form the same age of car?

VAG com cannot be used to unlock ECU's mate, its a software / programming issue. VAGcom can be used to match a compatable ECU with a Immo 2 dash tho.

How old is the car, and is the ECU form the same age of car?

Byzan my man... Thats what i ment, matching an ECU with an immo.. I.e. using an ECU out of a different car that goes with another engine, that im putting in my car... :D same sort of year.. pre facelift. shouldnt be too much drama.. There is a way to do it on VAGcom, take 10 mins, Just a matter of clicking on some boxes apparently?!

yeah, if you were closer i would do it for you. It's simple if similar years etc.

Worse case scanario, we can do it at GTi? Or if you get yourself a cable, i can tlak you through it

Im not in the country for GTI, gutted as i booked the holiday then a few days after looked at the dates to book GTI..

Even if you know how, there are people near me with VAGcom, your advice would be more than useful!

i need to "unlock" it so i can drive it to get it mapped...

You need the access code to adapt a new ECU. If you do not know it then it will not be possible. VAGtacho is a tool for gaining the code, but as yet I've not used it personally. Potentially with both programes you should be able to swap ECUs.

Thats not true, the ECU can be adapted without the SKC. The ECU is swapped in and then VAG com is then used to adapt the dash to the new ecu. If you need to sweap the dash you need to gain the SKC code to code the IMMO and then the ECU .

I have both cables as i just used the Tacho one to stick a new dash in mine that works
Borrowed from Ross-tech

Immobilizer II:
The immobilizer will prevent the car from running without a matching key microchip. There is a symbol in the instrument cluster showing a key inside a car. If a new (or different ECU) is installed in the vehicle, the immobilizer will prevent the car from running and will cause the symbol to flash. Here is the procedure to introduce a new ECU to the instrument cluster. This must be performed each time ECU's are exchanged. This does not apply to installing a "chip" in the same ECU that is already aligned with the car.
Immo-3 knows your car's VIN. Access 17-Instruments (or separate 25-Immobilizer on vehicles that are set up that way) and look at the first "Extra" field.

If you see something like: "Immo-ID VWZ7Z0W0648696" You've got Immo-2 (or maybe even Immo-1 in earlier non-US models).

If you see something like "WVZKB58001H231169 VWZ7Z0W0648696" You've got
Immo-3. The first 17-digit string is the VIN. The second 14-digit string in the Immo-ID.

1. Install the new ECU in the car
    [Select]
    [17 - Instruments]
    [Adaptation - 10]

Leave channel at "00"
    [Read]
    [Save]
  2. [Done, Go Back]
    [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
    [Exit]

Thanks for your responses, make sense what your wrote but you lost me at the numbers and the commands, but im sure that will make sense to someone with vagcom..

Where would i find these codes? - I've heard talk of needing to send off ECUs to be 'unlocked' - and then alligned with the immo etc..?

How would you go about rectifying this problem, plug the ECU in, all the looms, then plug vag com in etc?

Good point Byzan. I forget you only need to link the key to the immobiliser for some models.

You swap the ecu and then just run through the above proceedure. Done it a few times with my car....Thinking about it I'm sure it asked me for my SKC. Haven't done it for a while so I'm probably confusing with something else.

Ok so now we know how to do it, is there anyone in the, Surrey, Berkshire or south west London area who is willing to lend a helping hand? As said, u will be compensated for.