Halfords 5W30 VW/Audi Fully Synthetic 5L Oil, anyone used this?

jimbo_123

Reaction score
I used 10w 40 part synthetic. I asked at Halfords they did a check on the computer with my reg it came back as this and 5w i drive hard so they advised 10w 40 part synthetic

I would pay the extra few quid and get some Castrol....May find it on the net cheaper then Halfords. Think what you spent on your car and then compare it to a few quid in a better oil.
Hope this helps.

To be honest mate, that's what I was thinking.
I don't usually comprimise on key elements like oil, but I was just wondering if anyone has used it with satisfactory results.

What is the oil of choice for most S3 owners, our car is booked in for oil change and some other bits and pieces this friday and i said i would get the oil?

I've used the Halfords 5w/30 oil for the last 2 years now and had no problems what so ever. when I did my last oil change, which was last week, the Halfords near me was selling it for only £19.99.

If it conforms to spec then why not? How do we know which are the 'better' oils? Can you assume if it has Halfords on the tin that it's inferior to Castrol or equivalent?

Surely regular changes with the appropriate spec are more important?

i use castrol normally which is really good i have an incar oil pressure gauge after a thrashing the oil stays at the same pressure as it normally does once at running temp which is 1.8bar, i recently used some 5w 30 semi synthetic oil which we have in bulk barrells at work and now at running temp oil pressure still holds at 1.8 bar but after a thrashing ive seen it drop to 1.2 bar which is quite a drop so the oil has a lot lesser stability, im eager to get this rubbish back out my car seriously dont buy cheaper oil, oil's not just oil

I've been using it or Synta Gold (same spec) for 5 years in my S3 and over 10 years in my Ibiza.

I'd rather change my oil every 5000 miles with cheaper oil than every 10000 miles with a more expensive oil - plus it meets the spec - so what's the risk?

find someone who shops at costco.
they sell mobil 1 at £19!

Worth bearing in mind halfords dont make oil, there oils all used to be made by duckhams, mobil or castrol, not sure who makes it now. As long as they conform to the correct specs and you change it regularly enough you wont have any problems using it.

I would pay the extra few quid and get some Castrol....May find it on the net cheaper then Halfords. Think what you spent on your car and then compare it to a few quid in a better oil.
Hope this helps.

depends on what service it is. I'm not paying that extra for the Castrol...a rip-off. lol

I change mine every 6 months. I use Halfords 5W-40. Comes to about £24 with my trade card

Iirc, Halfords oil is supplied by Comma

Changed my oil with Halfords stuff a couple of weeks back, no problems. A fair few quid cheaper for 5L of the Halfords than 4L of the Castrol

A fair few quid cheaper for 5L of the Halfords than 4L of the Castrol

that's another point. Halfords will come in 5L, enough to fill up to about 4.6L needed after the oil change and still have some to top up later.

The Castrol, you will need to buy an extra 1L bottle to even fill up to 4.6L required. So turns out even more expensive

I have always used 10w40 Catrol GTX Magnatec, never had any probs with it and it seems fine to me.

Reactions: mramage
I use Quantinum Gold fully symp oil, Cost very little from a VAG trader and comes in 5L.

As stupid as it sounds, I feel more comfortable with a better oil/fuel in my car. :wub: