S3 vs 1.8TQ

I

imported_mustwin1

Can anyone tell me the difference bewteen the S3 engine and the 1.8TQS engine. Am I correct in thinking the bottom ends are different? Is that the only difference (excluding mapping)?

Ta

Mar

[ QUOTE ]
Murdoch said:
Can anyone tell me the difference bewteen the S3 engine and the 1.8TQS engine. Am I correct in thinking the bottom ends are different? Is that the only difference (excluding mapping)?

Ta

Mar

[/ QUOTE ]

The engines are more or less identical! The S3 has lower compression pistons (0.5:1 lower). The S3 uses a K04 turbo and the 1.8TQ uses a K03. Also, the 1.8TQW uses a single intercooler and the S3 uses 2.... i think thats about it!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Dani said:
I belive its other fuel-spreaders as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, forgot the injectors!, fuel system .etc .etc

Injectors was the word i was looking for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've discovered many differences after I bought the S3 and I'm really glad that I bought the S3 instead of an modified A3TQ... At first I just thought it had a higher boost.

this is a long shot! if i find a written off S3 can i nick the turbo and wack it on my a3 1.8ts?

Please be gentle with answers? lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rich are you sure it would be that cheap? what would the price of that upgrade be for the S3. What would you need to do?

[ QUOTE ]
S3-Leon said:
Dudes,

read following file it's about construction of the 1.8T engine 225 BHP.

rightclick to download: construction of 225 BHP 1.8T

All basics are explained with details.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone got it in English /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Murdoch said:
I guess not, however 3 grands out of my league, 1000 I could maybe raise if the gains were there to be made? It will mean less styling, I'll have to way up the pros and cons of each I guess? For a grand am I correct in thinking I could get 230BHP?

[/ QUOTE ]

At a push, possibly!

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, 1 grand would get you chip, exhaust, decat, induction kit. Cant see 230bhp from that on a 1.8 T quattro

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Murdoch said:
I guess not, however 3 grands out of my league, 1000 I could maybe raise if the gains were there to be made? It will mean less styling, I'll have to way up the pros and cons of each I guess? For a grand am I correct in thinking I could get 230BHP?

[/ QUOTE ]

At a push, possibly!

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, 1 grand would get you chip, exhaust, decat, induction kit. Cant see 230bhp from that on a 1.8 T quattro

[/ QUOTE ]

Jabba get some very impressive results...and remember Stuart its the K03S, not like our pants little K03!

GolfTTish was running 250bhp with a K03S!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
thats what I've thought however performance doesn't seem all that good, 60-80 there really isn't any pull.

From what I've read on here my MAF could be failing so I'm going to have a look at but I wasn interested when you said Jabba managed 250bhp out of GolfTTish's car

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh it wasnt Jabba, was Revo. However, would be running so much boost i would be scared of the turbo severly screwing itself and taking something else withit in the process!

Rich

It really does depend where your power is in the rev range too. Take a look at your dyno plots and see what the power is like at the rev range for 60-80mph.

Rich