Audi S3 FMIC experience + pics

eddyg

Reaction score
Hi,

I had my S3 FMIC fitted yesterday, and wow, what a difference it made to first gear! The car's gone all feral on me, with a rolling start it now breaks traction on full throttle, which if ESP is on will cause a nasty head forward, then smashing back sort of motion. With ESP off it just spins all four wheels for a bit, whilst heading for the horizon.

Why did I get this change? Well I was noticing on my boost gauge that I was getting variable boost levels, which varied on a whole host of factors, which basically made the car undependable. I like to know that if I need to pull out and overtake that I will get full boost immediately.

Other mods include APR Serial Port Tune, Samco intake pipe, K & N airfilter, APR cat-back 3" exhaust.

So I asked Derek at European Autotech in Sydney to sort this issue out with a FMIC, he obtained an OCT Tuning S3 Intercooler, follow the links from:

http://www.oct-tuning.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=34&language=de

He took some pictures during installation, which I'll attach here in a moment. He was getting 20 degrees C intake temp drop at idle and over 30 degrees C when moving. This is in cold atmospheric conditions of ~16 degrees.

Basically, I'm very, very happy with it. I was getting full boost in every gear, and most importantly whenever I asked for it, even after sitting still for a while. No heat soak at all.. well not that I noticed. And a had a huge smile on my face, somewhat similar to when I had the APR chip, and then again when I had the exhaust.

Only one problem though, it appears that the intercooler pipes are fouling the pop-up headlight washer aliens, so they are currently not fitted, which is a shame. Audi must have changed the design since the original intercooler was designed 'cos the pipes do have indents on them to allow co-existence with said aliens. My S3 is a MY03..

I'm going to see if I can get new pipes designed for it which allow the reinstallation of the washers.

Cheers, Edward.

And this is what it looks like with the bumper fitted, quite sexy I think, the covers for the washer aliens have been put back using some sort of silicone glue type thingy:

Looks very good mate....God this forum doesn't half give me the modding bug! Exhausts, FMIC's, brakes! argh...Must do more overtime! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That is one b1tch of an intercooler! Noticed increased lag at all?

Rich

I want one to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:
can i be stupid and say "what fmic"??

[/ QUOTE ]

No you can't be stupid.

But yes you can ask what FMIC means....its an abrev of Front Mount Intercooler.

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
That is one b1tch of an intercooler! Noticed increased lag at all?

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rich,

No increased lag that I've noticed, although I've only driven it for 3-4 hours since installation, and this afternoon it got put on a ship departing for the land of the long white cloud, so I won't be seeing it for another four weeks when I will follow it.

Good point about the crash bar, I don't know whether it has actually been removed, or whether it was just for this shot, assuming that it is gone then that's another downside for small accidents, which will now use the FMIC as the crush bar, probably would even if the bar is still there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif But given that I haven't crashed a car for a very very long time, and this does make the car more usable I think I can live with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For those that don't know what the crush bar is, see the attached photo of a naked stock S3 front

Cheers, Edward.

Actually I just checked on the installation instructions, and yes, the bumper reinforcement bar has been removed, and stays removed, replaced with the FMIC.

Mind you, Audi probably charge just as much for a bent reinforcement bar as a new intercooler will cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not sure what the pedestrian will think of having an intercooler imbedded in their legs vs a controlled crushing of the reinforcement bar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers, Edward.

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
well howdy Dan!

how/where have you been????

[/ QUOTE ]

UK, Egypt, ill, UK, Egypt and then ill again....

I expect the next few months will be the same, except with Turkey, Greece, Dubai and Japan thrown in for good measure as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

That is a very large intercooler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

i have the same intercooler in my TT. if there is any pressure drop the drop in intake temps more than make up for it as there is no apparent additional lag and more go at the top end and consistent performance irrespective of temps.

ps. my crash bar fitted back on over the FMIC

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
well howdy Dan!

how/where have you been????

[/ QUOTE ]

UK, Egypt, ill, UK, Egypt and then ill again....

I expect the next few months will be the same, except with Turkey, Greece, Dubai and Japan thrown in for good measure as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

life is a bitch, it surely is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Gees man, no crash barrier? When I had mine fitted it was designed not to interfere with this part. Audi put it there for a good reason.

I like the way it sits in the middle all the same, mine doesn't.

As for the huge increase in power allowing you to spin all 4 wheels, is this in the dry?? Are you running 17' wheels? I'm on 19' wheels and never managed to spin 4 wheels in the dry!? Although I like the thought! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
As for the huge increase in power allowing you to spin all 4 wheels, is this in the dry?? Are you running 17' wheels? I'm on 19' wheels and never managed to spin 4 wheels in the dry!? Although I like the thought! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Must try harder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I would like a FMIC but the weather here is 80% of the time cold and I would not get the full potential out of it personally........

Removing the front crash bar is a bit of a scary thought too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
I would like a FMIC but the weather here is 80% of the time cold and I would not get the full potential out of it personally........

[/ QUOTE ]

My FMIC is going on next week... along with the turbo .etc

Rich

Yeah but you have a single standard intercooler at the moment and your going to be pushing out 300 horses.....you lucky git by the time you are finished!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
Yeah but you have a single standard intercooler at the moment and your going to be pushing out 300 horses.....you lucky git by the time you are finished!

[/ QUOTE ]

To right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif And its going to be gooooooodd!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

I may add a forge sidemount aswell....will have tio see what the charge air temp is like.

Rich

I would upgrade to a side mount oil cooler too!

This is my 1000th post......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
I would upgrade to a side mount oil cooler too!

This is my 1000th post......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i will be fitting an oil cooler too at some point.

Rich