Are my headlights compatible for HID?

edwards_a3

Reaction score
hey, just a quick one,
wanted to treat myself to a hid conversion, but was not sure if my headlights wee compatible, as i have heard of lenses melting. i have black projector headlights, unsure of the make, i can find a picture if that helps.

any help would be great, cheers

plenty have done thbe conversion with no problems matey...... it will pass an MOT fine...the questions around the law as it states that you must have self levelling and washers....trouble is theres noone to enforce it haha

do yaself a favour, dont go for the crappy blue 12000k ones, the S3 has 4600k as stabndard which is the best light your gonna get (4600k is daylight i beleive), any higher you'll end up with more blue than actual useable light

plenty have done thbe conversion with no problems matey...... it will pass an MOT fine...the questions around the law as it states that you must have self levelling and washers....trouble is theres noone to enforce it haha

do yaself a favour, dont go for the crappy blue 12000k ones, the S3 has 4600k as stabndard which is the best light your gonna get (4600k is daylight i beleive), any higher you'll end up with more blue than actual useable light

Apart from VOSA who are popping up all over the place and would be more than happy to deal with it.....just a word of warning. ;)

ah i didnt realise that they could enforce this? have you heard of any occurances Tom?

ah i didnt realise that they could enforce this? have you heard of any occurances Tom?

Yes, we were on an operation at a car meet not so long ago and cars were getting pulled in for offences (tints etc) and having VOSA guys go over them. Things like illegal HID's were being picked up on.

My brother (Traffic Plod) is currently on a vehicle examiners course and he will be able to deal with things like this also. There are vehicle examiners out and about so as I said, just a word of warning to anyone running them. Its like dodgy spaced plates, you know they're wrong but take the risk on running them if that makes sense?.

T

yup yup cheers for the warning fella.... i think im gonna have to take the ones off the misus Mini if thats the case

yup yup cheers for the warning fella.... i think im gonna have to take the ones off the misus Mini if thats the case

I wouldnt worry about it to that extent mate. You'd be very unlucky to get a collar for them IMO.

The only times I've seen cars getting pulled for them is when there's a host of other things that have lead to an inspection (bin bags for window tints etc).

Just dont have the hugely blue ones.

na we got the 6000k's, back windows are heavily tinted (BMW tints) so cant really remove easily..... when we bought it i had the dealer remove the front window tints which should be legal coming from BM, they had the secretary there for hours scrapping away haha...... just dont agree entirely with heavy tints at the front windows and windscreen so can see their point of view..... ill leave them and tell her to say they came with the car if she gets pulled

Eddy, I'm fairly sure you can't run HID's in our lights.

To all those who don't know, Edward's car is basicly the same as mine in every way, just a lot more shiney :)

From what I know, Jase (A3_turbo) tried to fit HID's to his lights the same as ours, and they actually had some sort of blocker in to stop you fitting HID's.

Also, if you pop a light out, they say ''NO HID'' in big letters on the back..
I tried some 100w bulbs in mine, and they made a hot spot in the lens and started to soften it within minutes, so I've not bothered trying anything more.

thanks for the replys guys, and thanks for that prawn, just a little something i wanted to treat myself with, but i guess ill be splashing my money else where.

or a downpipe, I seem to recall you're just running a milltek cat back at the moment?

i am indeed, althoguh i think fmic is the next thing on my list, how long are you home for, i may ask for your assisstance :D