Heat soak

rich-hill@hotmail.com

Reaction score
I realise this is a big issue with the s3, and with summer approaching under bonnet temps are much higher.

What other ways are their to reduce heat soak other than a FMIC? As this is quite pricey. I'm thinking little things, as surely lots of little changes will make a bigger difference?

Rich

Some little mods that claim to do stuff but the general conscious on here is that the only one that really works is an FMIC

I think uprated SMIC do help but nothing as good as an FMIC.

James

Just got to bite the bullet mate and fork out for a fmic, when it was warm last week it was ridiculous how bad my s3 heat soaked

Has anyone tried any of those bonnet vents where the metal on the bonnet or wing is raised slightly and you can have as many lines put it as you want? I cant remember what their called but they dont look chavy and are quite cheap to have done.

are they the bonnet raisers? Makes it loo like your bonnt is still open?

I didn't know if you could chnage trim or such like around the grill for example for better air flow?

Not heard of bonnet raise's, any pics?

Have considered bonnet vents but like said does look a tad chavy, also considered a side vent on the passenger side to allow more air to the intake!

Unless your car is remapped, the twin intercoolers are pretty efficient for standard power, I think the ECU even winds the turbo boost up a little to maintain power on standard cars IIRC. But if the weather is warm, the car will always feel a bit slower than when it is cooler during the night time.

You sorted what FMIC you getting Tim?

na think im most likely gonna buy one of these jobbys from AH fabrications, Tufty's trying one out and so im gonna follow that progress.... will keep ya informed fella but i really aint looking forward to it

The problem is the whole engine and it's pipework getting too hot. The heat is then transferred into the inlet charge, and the ECU winds back the timing to protect itself as the inlet temperatures rise.

Even with a big FMIC, big cold air inlet etc, a re-mapped S3 will suffer with heat soak after a time of being driven hard - fitting things like a FMIC only extend the time it takes for heatsoak to set in...they don't stop it.

There is no magic fix...
Vents to let cold air in and hot air out will help, as will better ICs...technically water-wetters and insulating gaskets *should* help...but made no difference when I tried them.

I think it's just something you have to accept on a heavy car that's working it's 1.8 litre engine pretty hard when making 270ish BHP.

are they the bonnet raisers? Makes it loo like your bonnt is still open?

I didn't know if you could chnage trim or such like around the grill for example for better air flow?

No it's basically the metal of the bonnet and ridges are pushed into the metal from under the bonnet so they are in effect lots of small scoops. I cant find a picture anywhere on the net :uhm:

Intercooler misting kits can work well. Just got to face facts that an under slung turbo fitted in a tight location is going to produce alot of heat.

I have seen logs from track cars which did show consistantly low IAT with the right intercooler/rad. Was custom aluminium for both. I'd say for a street car that wouldn't (or shouldn't) be driven hard constantly on the road a decent FMIC should be enough.

I used to heatsoak REALLY badly on my ko3 turbo with the standard SMIC.

Now on a ko3S with a big FMIC it doesn't seem to heatsoak at all. after the thrash, the cold side IC pipe is always cold to touch, with the hot side feeling very warm indeed.

BONNET SCOOP!! :haha:

Lol, after my map im going for a FMIC as the summers coming up.

hodge, shouldnt you get a FMIC before your map?

Well its going in tomorrow now! :o.k:
The FMIC will come when i find a job for over the summer....:( :(

Has anyone tried any of those bonnet vents where the metal on the bonnet or wing is raised slightly and you can have as many lines put it as you want? I cant remember what their called but they dont look chavy and are quite cheap to have done.
bonnet louvers like this

GBS20Parts201841.jpg

i have been thinking about raising my bonnet at the back like people used to do on the old rs turbo's etc, think it would look cool and be functional

Stick a Subaru vent on it !! J/K
An effecient FMIC and some water wetter may reduce temps for a while. But once you stuck in traffic, i imagine it wouldnt't matter if the FMIC was the size of a fence panel, without air moving through it you have no chance. I wonder if a simple Co2 spray/mist would help? I know the scooby boys relocate the screen wash pipes to accidently mist the top mount too when using the washers

That sounds abit extreme, but then the Subaru boys are abit!

I like the optimism of you guys assuming that summer is coming and therefore its going to be warm!!!

Whats an SMIC by the way?

* * Intercooler...???

na think im most likely gonna buy one of these jobbys from AH fabrications, Tufty's trying one out and so im gonna follow that progress.... will keep ya informed fella but i really aint looking forward to it

Yeah you'll have to let me know how you get on, im seeing about one off paul, was going toget forge but thought id give him ago

That sounds abit extreme, but then the Subaru boys are abit!

I like the optimism of you guys assuming that summer is coming and therefore its going to be warm!!!

Whats an SMIC by the way?

* * Intercooler...???
Side Mount Inter Cooler

Yeah you'll have to let me know how you get on, im seeing about one off paul, was going toget forge but thought id give him ago

hey im not biased mate, if Paul gets this kit together first im all for it..... ive never been bothered by the forge item due to its stupid pricing - and less encouraged after seeing the latest fitment which was far from hassle free.....

Im thinking some pressed vents as above wouldnt look too bad. I would probably do this aswell as removing the bonnet lining if I was going extreme which I have no plans to do.

I never said you were pal.
Be interesting to see how both kits turn out.
The kit dennis fitted was only the forge cooler, wasnt the pipes etc...

I wouldnt mind fitting some vents on the bonnet but just dont know where.

What would be involved in setting up and fitting a water mist kit to the side mount intercoolers, or to a front mount intercooler ?