Fitting brake pads to s3

I

imported_Robbyc

Hi Peeps,

I am going to change my brake pads front and rear on a 2000 s3, Does anyone know what tools and sizes i will need as i am going to have to borrow them of a mate.

Thanks
Rob.

Front:
You'll need some good strong pliers to get the spring clip thingies off the callipers.
An allen key for removing the slider posts - I think it's a 7 or 8mm.
A 17mm or 18mm (cant remember which) for remofing the calliper carriers from the hub - if you want to remove them to clean them up.
A small flat file to clean up the pad surfaces on the calliper carriers.
Some form of pry bar to lever the piston back in before fitting new pads.

I think that's all you need for the front.

Rear:
You'll need some flat spanners to remove the calliper from the carrier - I seem to remember the combination is 12mm and 14mm...but it may well be 13mm and 15mm, or indeed any combination of them!
You'll need the file again for the rears.
Most important, you'll need a dedicated piston wind back tool - Skyes Pickavant do one, available from Halfords if your mate doesn't have one. You'll need this to wind the rear pistons back in without damaging them.

I think that's it for the rear...

Don't forget to use Copper Slip on the pad to carrier mating surfaces!

Thanks Ess Three you have been a great help.

Cheers
Rob

Unless you do like I did at the weekend, which was to snap 2 of the bolt heads off on the N/S. Being a Saturady afternoon no chance of getting spares. Got spares on the Monday, spent Monday evening with an extraction kit and drill trying to get them out, admitted defeat and had to get a new flange hub and wheel bearing fitted at a cost much higher than the money I was trying to save /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

nothing worse than that sound of "snap"!!!

gutted to hear that Dr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sorry to hear about your experiance Dr hope i dont have the same problem.

I'll attempt the job in the morning.