S3 esp fault

Yonner

Reaction score
Hi guys has any one had any issues like this?

Ok when i got my S3 it come with the ESP light on and ABS also
Had the car looked at and was told the G200 sensor was at fault. I got hold of a G200 sensor and replaced it which is behind the glove box. Both the lights went out. I took it for a spin and the ESP light come back on but ABS never. I had a look at the plug connector that plugs onto the G200 sensor and it looked like the 3 wires were loose in the plug. so i wiggeld them about and light was gone after car restart. Took for drive again and ESP light come back on. I thought it may have been the connector so i founs some one breaking an S3 and the cut there connector off there loom and sent it to me. I cut mine off my loom and wired this other one up, the light was gone for a few hours and it come back! I had car checked out and it said somatt about Implausible signal on the lateral sensor, You think this may be because the wires are joined and losing voltage or you think it may be somat else? The light is on always now? Any help would be great.
Cheers people! :keule:

the sensor you changed has a twin under the steering wheel.

One is the lateral and one is the longitudinal (I never remember which way round they are)

It may just be that they have both gone.

A common fault (and the one I had) is that when you use max acceleration up the gears somewhere around 60mph it brings the fault up and a quick ignition cycle (on/off) puts the lights back out again.

Do you have a picture of the sensor under the steering wheel....?

I had a mate put it on a machine today and t come up with G200 lateral sensor circuit faulty or somat like that Defective?

also said Implausible signal? i unplugged the sensor and plugged back in and it was gone again for about an hour but now its back? WTF is goin on?:banghead:

the sensor is ******** get a new one.

I think they are about £89 + Vat from Audi

What you can try just to 100% confirm this is swap the one from the passenger side with the one under the steering wheel as they are exactly the same sensor and then the fault should change to a longitudinal fault.

do you know which sensor is what ? is the one under the glove box the Lateral? and the one under steering wheel the Long? my S3 is a 2000 (W Reg)?

Good idea what ya said i will try that 2moz :banghead:

No I always get them mixed up.

I am fairly sure you will find it with a search on these forums though.

Oh and might be worth noting I am telling you where the sensors are on my car which is a facelift 2001 Y reg, so *migh* be in different to yours.

James

just had my car on vagcom and clicked auto scan it come up with this:

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,22,35,37,45,55,56,57,75,76

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 906 018 N
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0002
Coding: 05710
Shop #: WSC 33278
No fault code found.
Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V004
Coding: 18448
Shop #: WSC 06435
1 Fault Found:
01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
57-10 - Electric Circuit Failure - Intermittent
Address 08 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 820 043 M
Note: Excessive Comm Errors
Skipping Address 15-Airbags
Address 17 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 920 980 B
Component: AB-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D11
Coding: 01444
Shop #: WSC 00000
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ AUZ7Z0Y1486755
No fault code found.
Address 22 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 02D 900 554 B
Component: HALDEX LSC ECC 0006
1 Fault Found:
00526 - Brake Light Switch-F
27-00 - Implausible Signal
Address 35 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 862 257 P
Component: CV-Pump, Alarm, RC D13
Coding: 15178
11 Faults Found:
01367 - Central Locking Pump Run Time Exceeded (Likely Leak)
35-00 - -
01371 - Alarm triggered by Door Contact Switch: Driver's Side
35-00 - -
01374 - Alarm triggered by Terminal 15
35-00 - -
01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -
01369 - Alarm triggered by Hood Switch
35-00 - -
01368 - Alarm triggered by Luggage Compartment Switch
35-00 - -
00991 - Interior Lights
28-00 - Short to B+
00955 - Key 1
09-00 - Adaptation Limit Surpassed
00956 - Key 2
09-00 - Adaptation Limit Surpassed
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
76-00 - Terminal 30 missing
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
49-00 - No Communications
Address 45 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4B0 951 173
Component: Innenraumueberw. D03
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 00000
No fault code found.
Address 55 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4B0 907 357
Component: LEUCHTWEITEREGLER D004
Coding: 00002
No fault code found.
End -------------------------------------------------------

any help would be greatful!!:banghead:

change the sensor like I said.
All the other faults are negligable, and found on most Audis to be fair

Just to add to the above, it might be worth changing the brake light switch as that's thrown a code up as well, there under £20 IIRC and it's a 5 minute job.

But - it looks like you have a lot of historic codes on the ECU & some of these may mean nothing, it might be an idea to clear these, take the car for a spin & re-scan it to get a more accurate idea of the problem

cheers lads, i cleared the brake switch fault and that has not come back, it just keeps throwing the lateral sensor up, Which one is the lateral i thought it was the one under the glove box, I had an idea today to unplug one of the sensors and check in vag come what the readings were on the sensors, if the sensor is unplugged there would be no reading would there? I will try this 2moz as i have put the car back together again and fed up! ha ha:keule:

just to let ya know my S3 is a 2000 (w) reg and is on APY engine code.

Had this go on mine recently, £69 for the sensor IIRC, not from the stealers either...

Was a rear speed sensor

it was a rear wheel sensor? Did you have it on vagcom? mine is saying lateral sensor in vagcom? Would it not say wheel sensor if that was at fault?:uhm:

ok guys i got hold of a g200 lateral sensor today and a brake switch , i have fitted the brake switch and i plugged the g200 sensor in and turned on ignition, should the esp light have gone out or does it need setting up to the car?,
any info would be awesome!:keule:

Just an update guys i have fixed the S3 esp problem and the brake light switch fault!! The brake light switch was fine it was a bulb in the back light it was not a 21/5w bulb!

The esp was fixed by replacing the lateral sensor under the steering wheel and having it zero,ed

Car drives nice and smooth now with great power delivery!

thanks for all who helped me :racer:

G200 S3 APY LEFT SIDE

DSC01194.jpg

Hi,

My S3 has its ESP light on, plugged the VAG.com unit in tonight and it is coming up with the latteral speed sensor (G200) fault code like you have all stated above.

Is the pic above of the one i need to replace or is that the passenger glove box side?

I can't notice any hinder on performance, actually more fun lol!!

Cheers

Rob:uhm::s3addict:

Hi,

My S3 has its ESP light on, plugged the VAG.com unit in tonight and it is coming up with the latteral speed sensor (G200) fault code like you have all stated above.

Is the pic above of the one i need to replace or is that the passenger glove box side?

I can't notice any hinder on performance, actually more fun lol!!

Cheers

Rob:uhm::s3addict:

mine was under the steering wheel mate,,,,,,,,,, you had this sorted yet sorry for late reply i not been online much!

Its the longitudinal thats playing up in mine (fault code comes up as G251), so I *think* from reading this thread that its the one in the glovebox I need to change?

When I searched the board here it seemed to suggest that pre-facelift models (like mine) had both sensors behind the glove box and only later models had one sensor moved to under the steering wheel. Admittedly I can only find one behind the glovebox, but I didn't have time to look on the drivers side. Does anyone have the definitive answers? Which sensors are which and where are they located for pre-facelift vs post?

I would be able to work this out if it wasn't for my VAG-COM PC going up the spout!

I didn't need to do any zeroing procedure on mine. Since I fitted the new one the warning lights hasn't come up.