S3 boost

peteA3tdi

Reaction score
i have just finshed fitting my blitz digital boost gauge it mesurers in hkpa is this the same as bar? its peaking at 1.64 is this about right? i don't think the car is chipped thanks for any input

[ QUOTE ]
peteTDI said:
i have just finshed fitting my blitz digital boost gauge it mesurers in hkpa is this the same as bar? its peaking at 1.64 is this about right? i don't think the car is chipped thanks for any input

[/ QUOTE ]
Bar and hkPa are the same, therefore 1.64bar is 23.8psi!

Too high for a non-chipped car!

hkPa and bar are, arrarently, the same!

Your car must be chipped m8y

Rich

i am going on the RR day at AmD in oct i will see what power she has then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
I've just fitted a boost gauge aswell with BAR measurement, it peaks at 1.5bar and settles down to 1.2bar and my cars chipped. Is something wrong with my readings?

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Thats fine! PEAK boost is always much higher than sustained boost.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Rich, I was actually referring to the boost readings wether or not it's boosting at the right pressures, as 1.64bar/hkpa seems a little high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really dependsw who's chipped it. Some companies whack the boost up to give a stronger kick in the back.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
Bar and hkPa are the same, therefore 1.64bar is 23.8psi!

Too high for a non-chipped car!

[/ QUOTE ]

That would depend upon the scale of measurement, wouldn't it?
Is that device measuring Absolute pressure, like the ECU does?
If so, it's actually 0.64 bar...much more realistic....and about right for standard.

Don't forget that although we all tend to refer to boost by figures like 1.5 bar...this should be quantified by statememts such as:

1.5 bar gauge - meaning 1.5 bar above atmospheric, which is itself approx 1.0 bar.
Or
1.5 bar absolute - meaning 0.5 bar above atmospheric
Or as ofter referred:
1.5 bar boost - meaning 1.5 bar of boosted pressure over and above atmospheric

If your car is making 1.64 bar over and above atmospheric, you'd not be asking if it were chipped...you'd be struggling to keep it on the road with all the torque you'd be making - you'd be making well over 300 lb-ft.