bomb in the boot

mad max

sixth gear
Reaction score
i have a ticking noise in the boot,sounds like a bomb.searched the boot and seems to be coming from behind the cd player.searched the forum not much info on this problem apart from a post about central locking pump.is this problem a bad earth or the central locking pump on its way out.or is it the battery.anyone had any experience with this problem and can shed some light on it.

finaly someone with the same problem with me
mine sounds like its coming from the rear near side speaker
and you can only hear it with the radio on but turned down
but if you go round a roundabout it stop like theres a lose wire or somethink
is this the same as yours? sorry i cant help but i thought i was going mad when i herd mine lol

The best course of action would be to remove the trim from that side and listen where exactly it's coming from. As you/or anyone else can do at this pont is guess, which will not be very productive.

I had a very quiet clunking noise from the rear of the car, which sounded like a loose wire behind the trim touching the metal panels on rear-passenger side, but after some checking it turned out to be a loose bolt, which holds the rear silencer to the petrol tank's heat shield :w00t:

Your best bet is to remove the trim and make sure everything is fixed tight, and no loose wiring/plugs - there are a few on that side of the car.

I had this fellas is it a quiet clicking noise? sometimes goes on for ages and you can hear it stood at the back of the car. Mine did it sometimes when i started the car and was driving but also it would just start doing it any time when it was just sat there. I mainly noticed it alot when i turned engine off after a drive i'd get out and think what the f**k is that. Then after a week my alarm started going off during the night/day etc when i checked during the night after my alarm had gone off the car was ticking away i was half asleep thinking this is f**king weird lol. I searched everywhere numerous times and eventually found the problem. It was coming from my central locking pump/motor which is inside the left panel in the boot where the subwoofer is. I disconnected all the connections to it cleaned them and put them back on. Not heard the nouse since and my alarm, has gone back normal too.

finaly someone with the same problem with me
mine sounds like its coming from the rear near side speaker
and you can only hear it with the radio on but turned down
but if you go round a roundabout it stop like theres a lose wire or somethink
is this the same as yours? sorry i cant help but i thought i was going mad when i herd mine lol
First time i heard mine was when the radio was on, i thought i had blown the Subwoofer.

right looks like ill be taking the audi apart today then and ill be having a hunt around to see where its coming from :detective2:
thanks for the sujestions thow

Cant be many things tbh, siren, central locking unit, subwoofer, changer are only things in that area, if the central locking has a leak it could be the pump running on, but sure you'll find when panel removed fully, common fault in that area is the siren where the internal rechargeable batteries split & soak the board in acid, thus new siren needed & audi realised this & updated it to better one, but not better sound.

noise is coming from something encased in sponge behind the rear light.is this the central locking pump or the batteries ?

Pump, I suspect a leak of a loose pipe & its overrunning, take foam of & check connections, be careful not to snap the connecting ends of.