Handbrake Problem!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So since getting the S3 in january ive been fighting aloseing battle with the handbrake, all i or the garage seem todo is fix for a short while then it plays up, not holding properly etc.
So the other week was on a quite steep hill put the handbrake on and the car lifted up on the rear left side (only the right side was holding it), got home and took the rear ash tray out to see this:

(It's worse than this now)

The holder plate is biased to the left but when i undid the 10mm nut, placed the plate back central, tightened the nut back up, popped the handbrake it went back to the same postion :wtf:.
Any ideads what todo, does the rear calliper need adjusting!

Its driving me crazy not having a handbrake, the cars going in for other things doing but not till they'ved arrived so its going tobe weeks:keule:

ive had this on a honda, the end result was refurbing the rear caliper. I had a number of issues initially the needle bearings had colapsed and I suspected wear in the pin that is pushed as the handbrake is applied. I suspected a stretched handbrake cable but it was all down to the caliper.

Not saying this is your problem but certainly looks like it, best bet may be to see if someone does a exchange caliper.

Thats what it looks like to me but withour seeing it I cannot say 100%

Well when it goes in for the work ill get them to have alook but if you've ever seen the rear s3 caliper its where the cable meets the part that it pulls on the caliper to engage it, that isnt fully touching the metal plate if you get me.

It will be the caliper mate !! It will have corrosion in it stopping the self adjusting mechanism from working properly. I have seen the same thing time and again. If you are handy you could do it yourself for around £50 inc fluid change, other wise its an hour a side at a garage. Maybe a recon caliper can be had?

So anew caliper then, wheres the best place to get anew or re-con one from?

I just had the rear caliper replaced for this same problem, It only just passed its MOT back in march cas of this so I just got it sorted on Saturday.
The replacement refurbed caliper (none genuine) was £89+ VAT but when it came it had the VW audi stamp on it anyway.

tbh they can be pig to overhaul yourself, I had to do mine before overhauled units were avaliable. I swapped out the needle bearings for a brass bush and did a lot of other fecking about but when I did my mum`s I just got reconned calipers. A lot easier and less time fecking about.