New S3 owner - a few questions

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

Hello there,

Took delivery of a 2002 225BHP S3 yesterday, only 18,000 miles. Spent the weekend driving it - it's superb! Dropping to 3rd gear and overtaking whatever is in front is a thrill.

I have a few questions for you experts:

1. CD / climate control panel.

Is it my imagination or is the CD / climate control panel slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) tilted away from the driver, towards the passenger. It's only subtle but it doesn't seem quite central. It all works fine and there is nothing to indicate it's been badly fitted or damaged.

2. "Miles remaining" on DIS display.

With a full tank of fuel this was claiming about 330 miles left - fair enough, what I was expecting. But the figure doesn't seem accurate - I am now down to half a tank and it says 275 remaining! I wish! Is this normal?

3. Headlight washers.

The brochure claims the S3 has headlight washers but I can't see them! There is a panel in front of both lights but nothing happens, even with the headlights and ignition on. I read somewhere that you have to hold the washer button down for a few seconds - I haven't tried that.

Cheers folks.

[ QUOTE ]
monkeytrousers said:

2. "Miles remaining" on DIS display.

With a full tank of fuel this was claiming about 330 miles left - fair enough, what I was expecting. But the figure doesn't seem accurate - I am now down to half a tank and it says 275 remaining! I wish! Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

well the miles remaining is influenced by the way you drive. Thus when you drive like a sissy, the remaining miles will go up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If i remember correctly, it bases its estimates on the consumption of your last 20 miles or so. Just push down yor right pedal a bit more, I assure you it will help lowering the miles left in the DIS drastically. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
]monkeytrousers said:

3. Headlight washers.

The brochure claims the S3 has headlight washers but I can't see them! There is a panel in front of both lights but nothing happens, even with the headlights and ignition on. I read somewhere that you have to hold the washer button down for a few seconds - I haven't tried that.

[/ QUOTE ]

well holding the washer for a second or two should do the trick. Remember tho that it only works with you lights on (the headlamp washers that is, the regular windshield washer also works with your lights off......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

have fun with your S3!!

1. never notice on 2 s3's, mine face straight forward, to back of car.

2. take with pinch of salt! Its generated on how you driven for last 20 odd miles IIRC.

3. should pop out from behind those patches in bumper when engine is running and XENON headlights are on(not sidelights), and you hold windscreen washers on for a few secs.

they work on water pressure forcing the telescopic jet out the bumper

if they dont work, then a hose has come off or a pipes blocked, pump packed up.

Thank you

I got the washers working - just wasn't holding button for long enough.

The DIS miles are reducing - heavy traffic this weekend meant I couldn't floor it!

re the orientation of the console, it's soooooo not a problem, just my imagination.

What a car - upgraded from a Golf GTI 1.8T 150BHP - that car was fine but suffered from turbo lag. The S3 has MUCH less lag - steady power right through the range. Awesome!

What is a remap? Sorry I'm new to all this!

Is it the same as chipping? I heard that chipping a car reduces the life of the engine, is that true?

Anyway, I'm happy with the 225BHP for now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

basically it isnt true! one of the secrets of turbo engines is that the manufacturers chip is already mapped for much more boost than the production target.

there is a lot of variation during production and a lot of scope for things to go wrong with the boost control, and so to avoid engine damage they map the engine for higher boosts to ensure the engine doesnt run lean at higher than normal boost, cos this can melt pistons.

almost every turbo car has a map that can cope upto 1 bar. a simple manual boost controller can let you reset the boost pressure to a higher than normal level. audi do this themselves for press/demo cars quite often.

unfortunately, this doesnt optimise the engine timing, and may not give you the smooth throttle control and good drive that would be best. this is where chipping comes in - people spend a lot of time developing boost profiles, fuel and timing to give a good drive with the extra boost, and often claw back petrol consumption by not running too lean at high boosts or high revs.