Overfilled oil

S3Matt

Reaction score
Not paying attention... poured in too much, not by a lot but definately over the max marker on the dipstick... how much does it have to go over before it'll cause problems? Cheers, Matt

Alot more than that, dont worry too much, it shouldnt cause any probs, I have done so a couple of times, but have not noticed anything untoward.

how much is it over...1/2 litre over is not ideal but ok...just suction some out

Thanks for the replies... not even 1/2 litre over so think I'll chance it... thought would be best to double check here before driving though!

Out of curiosity... what damage can too much oil do to the engine?

Too much oil can put pressure on the PCV system, causing it to pressurise and flood oil into the engine where oil isnt supposed to go thus causing cat damage and blocking pipes. If extreme it could even hydraulic and prevent the engine from starting.

However, 1/2 litre over will do you no harm, anymore, do the filter drop, £3 for peace of mind.

how much oil should i be putting in? i no this sounds a pretty basic question, just my low oil waring light came on, so i put a litre of oil in last last week and today i bought 4 litres and put it in, thinking that the car would take around 5 litres in total, but after putting 3 litres in i stopped and checked the dipstick and it was miles above the max limit sign....

will this drop once the car has been driven? or have i put far too much oil in?

thanks

paddy

Depends what you mean by 'miles over'. From what I can remember there is only just over a litre between min and max on the dip.....wouldn't be happy with more than a few mm over max myself, and would be inclined to drain some off before running it and then refill as required.....just my opinion though.

The data thingy I have says 4.6 litres is the correct quantity.

ok cool thanks, well i doubt there is more than 4l in, so shoudl be cool! many thanks!

paddy

how much oil should i be putting in? i no this sounds a pretty basic question, just my low oil waring light came on, so i put a litre of oil in last last week and today i bought 4 litres and put it in, thinking that the car would take around 5 litres in total, but after putting 3 litres in i stopped and checked the dipstick and it was miles above the max limit sign....

will this drop once the car has been driven? or have i put far too much oil in?

thanks

paddy

I'd be a little concerned about being miles above the max mark...like JJBS3 said, I think it's 1 litre between min and max. If your light came on I'd think 1.5 litres would suffice maybe 2, you've put in 4 in total plus what was already in there...sounds dodgy, I'd be inclined to drain some out personally...

I'd be a little concerned about being miles above the max mark...like JJBS3 said, I think it's 1 litre between min and max. If your light came on I'd think 1.5 litres would suffice maybe 2, you've put in 4 in total plus what was already in there...sounds dodgy, I'd be inclined to drain some out personally...

I agree, generally a litre between max and min. If the dipstick was bone dry I don't think it would take more than 2 litres to hit the max.

If you have too much in, it can get into the breather and then through the intake. Oil going into the exhaust wouldn't be too good for the cat.

If it's like 10mm over the max line I'd think about dropping out the excess tbh. Either through the dipstick tube if you can find some skinny pipe or out the sump plug if not.

Gavin

When I topped up my car, oil was exactly 1/2 way up marker on dipstick.... I added 750ml and that was enough to take me over the max line so I'm guessing that no more than 1L should be in there at any one time... :readit:

what damage would over filling cause? and how do i drain some out?

what damage would over filling cause? and how do i drain some out?

So you have participated in the thread but not really read any of it? See below.

Too much oil cna put pressure on the PCV system, causing it to pressurise and flood oil into the engine where oil isnt supposed to go thus causing cat damage and blocking pipes. If extreme it could even hydraulic and prevent the engine from starting.

However, 1/2 litre over will do you no harm, anymore, do the filter drop, £3 for peace of mind.

Change the filter. Takes quarter of a litre out with it, doesn't cost much either...

sorry my bad, misstake caused by tirdness lol. i did read that the other day, thanks for pointing it out.

paddy

if my PCV system and valve contain oil, can i take the pipes and valve off, clean them,then re-fit and drain some oil,as long as the PCV NRV is still working.